New to clipless

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

New to clipless

Postby asianflava » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:28 pm

After lots of hemming and hawing, I finally bit the bullet and got some clipless pedals. Still haven't ridden outside with them. I was initially concerned about clipping out, but turns out that the real hazard is walking in the shoes. I practically rolled my ankle walking to my bike across the garage.

A friend recommended these pedals (Speedplay Light Action) for a noob. Clicking out isn't that bad, getting in is hard for me, but I figure that it will come with practice and familiarity. The bike is a Trek 1000 I think it is a 2002 model. My Bro-in-law left it in my basement so I commandeered it for my use. I think it's on the large end for my height, but it is what I have to work with.

Hopefully I can get some more miles in before my first triathlon in May.

asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:04 pm

:thumbsup:

Those are a great pedal. but perhaps one of the worst to walk in. Clipping in and out, will become quite easy with practice.

The biggest problem most people have [getting out] is that they forget they are clipped in.. and try to just step off.. and then panic.. and then over they go. Practice practice practice.. just keep clipping in and out... until it is routine.

They will make a huge difference in your efficiency

good luck with your race.. :thumbsup:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby MegC » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:18 am

We have Time pedals on all our bikes now. The have a lot of float, clear mud well, and the bearings et al last a crazy long time without any maintenance at all.

Those low speed crashes where you can't get out of the pedal in time, you fall over sideways flailing helplessly on the ground like a dying cockroach still trying to pop out.... Good times, lol. You get to where its second nature to get in and out, but every season we still seem to accumulate our share of 'roaches'. :lol:
~ intel gathering until we get more $. If anyone's got a line on a winning lotto ticket or a tooth fairy I can shake down for cash, PM me.
"...believing in human perfectibility starts with trying to force people into a mold, then into a prison, and then into an oven."
MegC
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Fenlason » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:12 am

For mountain biking we use Time pedals. It is probably the only thing we all agree on at the shop. They are a great pedal.

For the road most of the guys use Speedplay pedals. hmm I might be the only hold out there. :thinking: I think they are also a great pedal, but I personally did not like that much float. It is supposed to be great once you get used to it, but with many bikes and many pedals, I never got used to them. [At the time most of my road use was on a tandem also. ] I have decided to stay with the Look style pedal.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby MegC » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:17 am

We're just cheap and only slightly slower on wheels than we are mentally. Having one type of pedals and using all shoes interchangeably through the stable just makes things easier.

Then again road riding for us is just a way to get to town with the kid for a picnic in the park, and/or staying out of wheel-clogging mud in the spring. Alium pedals on everything but the 'bent, which got the Time Z so he can get it started without clipping in. Oh- and the Z also on the old hard tail MTB we use to get the mail, zip over to my parent's house, etc. so it's a little more 'whatever shoe you've got on' friendly.

My husband has serveral bike shoes, but I've been quite happy with one set of Cannondale Roams for everything. Unfortunately it looks like they don't make them any more... will probably look at the PI transalp, Lake vibram soled shoes, or something similar for next time.
~ intel gathering until we get more $. If anyone's got a line on a winning lotto ticket or a tooth fairy I can shake down for cash, PM me.
"...believing in human perfectibility starts with trying to force people into a mold, then into a prison, and then into an oven."
MegC
Teardrop Advisor

Postby asianflava » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:39 pm

Two of my other Ironman friends have Looks, but I went with the Speedplay because of the float. I read reviews saying that it feels like your pedaling on ice cubes, but since it's my first set I probably wouldn't know any different.

The guy at the LBS said that they are good for folks with knee problems (that's me). I was running, but started looking to other things to give my knees a break. I started swimming for cardio, since I can already swim (kinda), my Personal trainer suggested doing a triathlon because that's the hardest part for most people. I had the bike in my basement I figured, why not. My goal at this point is to finish.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:57 pm

Could never find shoes big enough, I have a big understanding.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:02 pm

We probably have more money in shoes and pedals.. than some people have in bikes... :thinking: :shrug:

We are performance riders.. and love the benefit of step-in pedals. Ideally road pedals and shoes perform better on the road, and mountianbike pedals work better off road. There are of course situations where one would use a mountain pedal when road riding. For one example offroad shoes are more walking friendly.
Our sloppier weather on-road rides and winter rides are done with mountain bike pedals, primarily because we have shoes that warmer, and more water resistant, set up with those cleats.

We have two different road pedal sysytems. The older Look / Shimano set up, and the newer Look Keo Set up. These two set ups are similar but different. We have a varitety of Time off road pedals.. but they all use the same cleat.

I did purchase a pair of Crank Brothers Mallet's last fall.. to try for downhill riding, but have yet to use them.

We do have more bikes than pedals.. so I do from time to time have to swap them out.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:08 pm

asianflava wrote:Two of my other Ironman friends have Looks, but I went with the Speedplay because of the float. I read reviews saying that it feels like your pedaling on ice cubes, but since it's my first set I probably wouldn't know any different.

The guy at the LBS said that they are good for folks with knee problems (that's me). I was running, but started looking to other things to give my knees a break. I started swimming for cardio, since I can already swim (kinda), my Personal trainer suggested doing a triathlon because that's the hardest part for most people. I had the bike in my basement I figured, why not. My goal at this point is to finish.

Yeah pedaling on ice cubes is a good description.. :lol:

Most people get used to them. I think in all the years we have sold them, we only took one pair back, because of that feel.
Myself with a variety of systems had a harder time getting used to them.. because I would move back and forth between different systems, and also standing on hills on a tandem... isn't the best place for that ice cube feel.

They are very knee friendly.. and are a nice simple [in a good way] durable system. Even though I personally don't use them, I highly recommend them.
have fun.. :D
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Return to Bicycles