Tools to take Camping....

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Re: Tools to take Camping....

Postby Laredo » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:36 pm

My truck's bugout bag: jack, handle, tire iron, 4-way, 50 feet of good heavy rope, pair of water pump pliers, medium-size crescent, 50 ft of 3/8'' nylon rope, canteen cup, lighter, flagging tape, safety goggles, and a big old towel / blanket (ever change a flat in the mud in your Sunday clothes?). My camper's bugout box: SO's dearly beloved BAL leveler, four (stacking) jackstands (for stabilizing), aluminum level, measuring tape, wire crimper and assorted wire ends, wheel and tire chocks, the biggest bottle of Green Slime I could find, roll of duct tape, hammer, pliers, crescent wrench, and the water hoses. Total weight? 50 pounds or so. Total dollars saved 'cause we didn't have to get this stuff somewhere at 2 am 1200 miles from home? Priceless.

I married an Eagle Scout. He's an overachiever. What I'd call prepared he'd call underdressed.
He married an Air Force vet. I'm an overplanner. What he'd call makeshift I call field-expedient.

We adapt, overcome, survive and thrive.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby PcHistorian » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:29 pm

So far I see missing, Tarps(4'x6' so you don't get muddy laying on your back fixing things under the trailer), a roll of the plumber's "pipe strap", metal tape with holes, because sometimes duck tape won't be strong enough to hold an axle in place when the weld or bolt broke. (couple wraps of that should get you to someplace you can get it bolted or welded.) This stuff is also good for so many things I can't list them all here. Replace rope/cable (clothes line, stake line.) Oh almost forgot, some extra full wire coat hangers, for those pesky mufflers etc, that come loose and you want a heat resistant, STRONG cord to hold it in place. (also can help to double for extending tv antenna in the wild... if you are going to use it for marsh mellows or hot dogs, first use the steel wool to clean off any plastic coating on it. while you're at it, bring the piece of steel wool. can compress to almost no space in any tool kit. (keep away from live battery terminals or you'll have a fire on your hands. Oh yeah, also good for fire starter... ;-)) Oh, matches lighter pieces of heat shrink tubing for electrical connection insulation... File to sharpen camping axe/hatchet. Sharpening stone for the knives in the kitchen. (can opener?) 2' piece of rerod and a 2' piece of pipe to use as "persuader bars/extenders" for leverage when you are prying up the trailer on rocks to get a brace underneath and fix the tire/bearing... Spare reading glasses so you can see what you are doing with the repairs (dollar store). Heavy carpet thread/cord to go with upholstery needles. Super/crazy - glue and gel for small things that break during field trials. A ratchet strap or two (dollar store item) so you can wrap it around your trailer if some wood frame busts loose cuz a tree bit it. Little ratchetting, some tarp and you don't have to go home early to repair it... How about a small can of "latex roof tar" or "spray tar undercoating?" If you are going to bring axle grease and bearings might as well pack a few NEW cotter pins. (med & lrge) Oh yeah, and a roll of that twist tie (metal core) stuff for like tomato plants, ($1 store)

p.s. thanks everybody!!!! You all rock maximus!(I need this whole list. Now, can I fit it into 1 medicine chest of space as a "tool closet"...? ;-)
Elf Cottage

Build Documentary
https://sites.google.com/site/pchistorian/home/hobby/camping/elf-build
Build Forum
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=48462
Build Album
http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=42

progress is progress. (don't look a gift "progress" in the mouth.)
PcHistorian
The 300 Club

p.s.: Re: Tools to take Camping....

Postby PcHistorian » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:16 pm

I haven't checked these lists yet, but I got this from another forum here and thought I'd best bring it over.
these link I just tested and they worked.

Teardrop Camping Checklist redux
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15596

http://www.blogicalthoughts.com/zips/te ... cklist.xls
http://www.blogicalthoughts.com/zips/te ... cklist.ods
http://curriecoalition.com/teardrop_tra ... cklist.pdf
Elf Cottage

Build Documentary
https://sites.google.com/site/pchistorian/home/hobby/camping/elf-build
Build Forum
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=48462
Build Album
http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=42

progress is progress. (don't look a gift "progress" in the mouth.)
PcHistorian
The 300 Club

Postby Hndbskt » Sat May 12, 2012 11:02 pm

Thanks for all the good tips for us Newbies.
Hndbskt
Teardrop Builder

Postby canned o minimum » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:46 am

Jeepers Creepers ! Y'all got me thinkin now...Lemme see if I can recall ALL the thangs I carry : :thinking:

Socket set( standard AND metric),crescent wrench,needle nose pliers,channel lock pliers,tape measure,hammer,duct tape,electrical tape,wire cutters,wire connectors, crimper,wire,screw drivers( multiple),assortment of nuts/bolts/washers,various sizes of zip ties,test lite( electrical),1/4 in rope(to tie thangs down),pair of collapsable wheel chocks,....

All of this stuff is in the trunk of my VW beetle along with a 2&1/2 gallon gas can( always full). Not to mention a buncha spare parts fer the car that are in thar also. All that stuff is ALWAYS in the car...Oh, there IS more, but I think y'all get my drift.. I carry everything ! ( Cept jumper cables)
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:08 am

Camping tools. Did any one mention a shovel? That is also my prota pot

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby canned o minimum » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:09 pm

The shovel and hatchet are in the trailer...
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jstrubberg » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:49 am

If you carry thread/light cord in your kit, replace it with unwaxed dental floss. Almost completely unbreakable, you can tease the fibers apart for smaller jobs and it's pretty much water and rot proof. I pull the buttons off of all my clothes and sew them back on with dental floss. You would have to rip through the cloth to get the button off. Good stuff!

Also makes a good saw for lighter stuff like wood and plastic.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby canned o minimum » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:36 pm

Dental floss... DING,DING,DING ! We have a winner here !! Great idea !
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby donaldraver » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:50 am

My wife had this tool kit that had all your basic tools when I met her we called it the chick kit.I have since purchased one for camping it carries a lot of tools most of which do the job for a quick repair. In addition I have some real tools Cresent wrench, adjustable pliers, 6 in 1 screw driver Estwing 28 oz hammer. In addition on my truck I carry a High Lift jack, Dewalt 18 drill,sawzall,impact, 12 air compressor with tire kit, a Water fire extinguisher, dry chem extinguisher and a medical bag.

As a Fire Fighter/ Emergency Medical Technician I found myself being the fist on the scene. Twice I have had to use my tools to assist a ambulance crew in a remote area to rescue a person from a car. This was due to the the patient deteriorating conditions and a extended eta of the rescue truck both cases the Jaws of life were over 30 minutes away.
donaldraver
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:13 pm

Something that a lot of folks may not call a tool but it is really. I don't remember it being mentioned and I am not going to reread the thread. Lazy sod that I am. But a GOOD pair of leather gloves is right up near the top on any camping trip I take. I usually take a new pair with me as you don't want me to be handling hot cooking pots with my working gloves as I haul manure. :lol: When those wear out/get lost I get a new pair for camping.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:07 pm

I will be adding an army folding shovel pickax this year, handy for trenching and road building. I normally carry a geology pick (a legacy of my geology and archeology classes).
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby crumvoc » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:33 pm

55 mm torx socket to remove interior nuts from the bolts securing the cargo trailer doors in case of emergency (getting locked in by the neighbor kid...) :)
Living in the high-desert.
crumvoc
Teardrop Master

Postby Alleged User » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:35 am

I carry a small telescoping rake. Cheap and takes up next to no room. I use it every trip to clean up and level sites.

Also binder clips from the office supply aisle. Large ones are excellent for joining ez ups and tarps together. Smaller ones hold cords and wires out of the way, secure tablecloths, and a whole bunch else.

Kelly & Duke
2011 ZZ Drop
Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. - Eskimo proverb
Alleged User
Donating Member

Location: Northern Virginia...not to be confused with Virginia.

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:27 pm

Slow, you had to unlock something? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets