Are there differences between RV and Home Gas cooktops?

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Are there differences between RV and Home Gas cooktops?

Postby Big Dave » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:09 pm

Ebay has tons of small gas cooktops intended for in home use. Most of these are supplied with the LP conversion pieces, is there any real reason I couldn't use one in my galley?
Big Dave
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Are there differences between RV and Home Gas cooktops?

Postby Goatdog » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:27 pm

None that I can think of. I'd do it.
Goatdog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:10 am

Check BTU output. Our Atwood has one 7000 BTU two at 5000 BTU burners. Cooking 'outdoors' you have different needs than in a nice warm kitchen with no wind.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Big Dave » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:23 pm

Sweet! The one I was looking at is 24" wide and has one 3000 btu, two 6,500 and one 10,000 btu burners. It does have a 120v ignition, but I've got a grill lighter if we're not plugged in. Hopefully there's no safety device to keep the gas from flowing without current.
Big Dave
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dale M. » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:08 am

Big Dave wrote:Sweet! The one I was looking at is 24" wide and has one 3000 btu, two 6,500 and one 10,000 btu burners. It does have a 120v ignition, but I've got a grill lighter if we're not plugged in. Hopefully there's no safety device to keep the gas from flowing without current.

Most gas tops that are 120v ignition can be match lit specially if you have to turn knob over to 'Ignite" position... BBQ or Colman Pizo electric spark lighter comes to mind...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Engineer Guy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:46 am

Our Retirement Home Thermador Cooktop [seriously 'macho' and Pro for Da Wife's use] has 120 VAC circuitry that senses Flame presence.

Double check your assumptions to not be disappointed and understand in a given Cooktop Model what role the 120 VAC Circuitry plays. As an example, a little breeze from a cracked-open Window adjacent blows out a Simmer-level Flame on this Thermador, which auto-relights immediately.

The consequence of a Flame going out is very different inside were the Propane to keep flowing. Manufacturers of the Cooktops you're looking at would have to incorporate that reality into their Control designs to avoid Lawsuits.

Not you'll be in this situation, but I put a Surge Protector on our Cooktop. When I saw the complexity of the PCB at Cooktop installation, I realized Lightning could take it out [$$$!]. This happened to us on a newer Fridge w/a densely-populated PCB at our Mountain House.
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

Postby Big Dave » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:13 pm

That's good to know. Looks like I'll need to do a little research before pulling the trigger.
Big Dave
Teardrop Advisor

Postby kludge » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:55 am

Indoor gas appliances (whether for home or RV) that don't run on AC or DC with electronic flame sensing circuitry will have a thermocouple on the pilot flame instead. If the pilot goes out (blows out) the gas vavle will shut in about 30 seconds.

Trust me you don't want a build up of propane in an enclosed space.

Some of the "camping" appliances will have this too. I have a Mr. Heater heater/cooker and it has a thermocouple.

My first EE job out of colledge was designing gas ignition controls/safety controls for gas appliances. Atwood was one of our big customers.

I guess my point is this, if you're looking for a cooktop, and you won't have AC or DC all the time, look for one with a thermocouple instead of electronic flame sensing and you're GTG.
kludge
Teardrop Master

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets