Why a TD?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Why a TD?

What else do you put behind a vintage auto?
4%
Thought they were cute.
8%
Needed some thing small / just didn’t need the space
36%
Wanted to build my own camper
30%
Parents had one so I got one to.
1%
Loved the history behind it.
5%
Other let us know.
16%

Total votes : 207

Postby Senior Ninja » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:02 pm

So many reasons, great way to move from work to retirement, from married to single, to never have to sleep in a tent again, and best of all to be with my friend for days and months on end working on the trailer.
Steve
Building the TD was the best thing I ever made.
Senior Ninja
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:29 pm

Had to vote for "Other".

I was planning a 2 week long road trip for the girlfriend (now ex) and I. The trip involved 2 or 3 nights in one spot, then on to the next. Well when planning something like this, theres no telling what the weather was going to be like. I HATE packing up wet gear. What I hate even more, is unpacking wet gear and having to sleep in it.

A teardrop was the perfect solution. Decided what I wanted and built it. Mine truly is a hard-sided tent that I don't have to worry about packing up wet!

Didnt work out with the girlfriend, so now all I have to worry about is the d@mn dog jumping into the trailer wet :lol:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:38 pm

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:Didnt work out with the girlfriend, so now all I have to worry about is the d@mn dog jumping into the trailer wet :lol:

That's OK... a wet dog is much easier to get along with, just my experience. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby jb » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:25 am

for me there where more answers. one is that is looks great behind my burton and two is that i can only tow 4oo kg
i wanted something that i can use traveling when i'm traveling eu. i didn't like to put u a tent every evening (and everything elso out of the trunk) and when i didn't find a camping i had no place to sleep. with a caravan i can just pull over to parking spot en sleep a couple of hours. another reasen is that when you put away your tent in the morning its still wet and so is everyting after a day of rain.

the last reasen is that in eu i hadn't seen one (since this summer) and i like to be different than de others.
i get a lot of attention with my car and in combination with te tear it will only be more :D
http://www.joostbastiaansen.webklik.nl
just drive like you stole it
jb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kathy53 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:44 pm

I bought a teardrop because they are cute, small enough for me to feel comfortable towing it. I also like teardrops because they are different.
Kathy53
The 300 Club

Re: Why a TD?

Postby canned o minimum » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:19 am

I love the great outdoors and don't like tent campin AT ALL ! Since my daily driver(TV) is a 1965 VW Bug, I love the idea of the light weight AND off the ground...with storage fer cook gear and clothes,etc.

Now I have found a standie trailer and will be sellin the teardrop. But I will be buildin a new teardrop so I'll have BOTH ! Imma really miss the teardrop till I can build a new one.
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Verna » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:07 pm

I purchased because I already have enough projects on the Verna-do list.

After buying a 12' SideKick (Standy) last year, I discovered that I'm camping by myself (and with Sunny Day--dog) most of the time, cooking outside and not on the inside stove most of the time, I stay outside until time for bed, I love the gas mileage towing a TD, and there is simply no sense in camping in anything larger than a TD. And, it sure beats putting up with the tent and cot any more!! The TD is so much simpler!!
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby BobBash » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:37 pm

I''l tell you what it means to me & I don't even have one yet . FREEDOM !! The freedom to go where I want , when I want & not have it cost an arm & a leg to do it . Freedom from the maintenance & expense of a much bigger rig . The freedom to design & build it any way I choose & feel good about it . To feel a sense of pride & satisfaction regardless of opinions from nay sayers . I know I will meet many like minded , interesting folks wherever I travel & along with the great outdoors & good health , what more could I possibly need ?
BobBash
Teardrop Advisor

Postby canned o minimum » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:59 pm

Hows bout a good camping name?? Sumthin like .. Sleeps in cave,Bob ! ( More like an Indian name )
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby BobBash » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:06 pm

Well , I'll have to give that some thought & see what I come up with ! :)
BobBash
Teardrop Advisor

Postby canned o minimum » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Robert Small Box....Tiny Tee Pee Robert... This is so much fun !
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby wingnut » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:26 pm

For us it all started about ten years before, when at a car show, my wife saw one behind a vintage car and she informed me than we had to have one for our antique car. After I retired I started the build that wife mandated the decade before. It was a fun project and we had a great time traveling with it. Wished she had seen one years before.
wingnut
Teardrop Master

Postby Catherine+twins » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:43 pm

Small car, small towing limit, small budget, and small family (1 adult, 2 children) added up to a small trailer that the industry doesn't build. So it was time to build a ttt of our own. :D

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby canned o minimum » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:30 am

Yessiree Slow ! I love to be able to pass up the 40ft diesel pushers on the hiway and then pull my TINY rig inbetween the trees at the camp site ! I go off road into the wilderness and can camp near anywhere with it ! Goes UNDER low branches and in small places..

Stores real easy and everthang about a TD is CHEAP ! No heater needed and jus ONE bed to worry bout ! A 10x 10 easy up covrs the entire trailer with room to keep the kitchen and table dry if it rains..( I cook outside ALWAYS)
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to User Polls