What accent do you have....?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

What kind of accent do you have?

Southern
31%
Northern -- also known as Yankee to us southerners....;>)
13%
New England
7%
Midwestern
23%
Western
26%

Total votes : 147

Postby Weirdnerd » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:57 pm

Definitevely Southern, so far south that Texas can be construed as a Yankee state, just to mention that I saw penguins when I was a kid.
This is my build thread...
Weirdnerd's teardrop
Weirdnerd
The 300 Club

Postby darnis » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:09 pm

Born in CA of a CA parent & a FL parent, I talk Californian with a hint of the south... :lol: :) Of course, my upbringing was divvied between FL & CA with several stops in between (WA & TX, included). :lol:
darnis
Donating Member

Re: What accent do you have....?

Postby albion2 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:01 pm

I have an eastend Cockney accent,thats London UK.Moved to this great country in 1978.Its starting to get a bit Yankeefied by now though.I always tell people this is the real English and you guys have the accent.
Last edited by albion2 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
albion2
Teardrop Builder

Postby Oldragbaggers » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:20 pm

Depends on where I am. If I'm home in Kentucky I get my hilbilly twang back in a day. If I'm anywhere else long enough I'll eventually start to pick up the accent, but I try not to have any accent at all. is that even possible?
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:31 pm

I tend to pick up a little bit of the accent of whomever I'm listening to, especially if it is a rural or southern accent. It doesn't happen as often as it used to. I really try to watch and catch myself because that idiosyncrasy can be embarrassing to me or even insulting to the other party. They may think I'm making fun of them; but I'm not. I don't always talk like I write, which sometimes surprises people.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby working on it » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:35 pm

The proper phrasing of the question should be "What accent do y'all have....?". Of course I refer to everyone other than native Texans, we have no accent, but y'all do.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:05 pm

Having spent my entire life in the SF Bay Area, I'd say I have a California accent. But like Sharon, I tend to pick up and unconsciously imitate the accent of those I spend time with. My Aussie friend Ray (pronounced "Rye") gets very annoyed when I start using his pronunciations.

:beer:

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby hazelc » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:36 pm

You didn't have Texan listed so I had to choose western. Not fair.
Hazel
hazelc
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:09 am

None of the above. I basically have a TV standard accent and because of the aspergers tend to be very precise in language usage. One of the more interesting classes in anthropology was one on American dialects and includes such things as "what do you call it" a couch a davenport, a bucket a pail, a Dagwood a hogie a grinder... and the best one, what do you call the strip of grass between the sidewalk and the curb, (most people just look blank) only a few places in the US it is called a "tree lawn".
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Betsey » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:01 am

Shadow Catcher wrote: what do you call the strip of grass between the sidewalk and the curb, (most people just look blank) only a few places in the US it is called a "tree lawn".

Here in Wisconsin, they call it the "boulevard," which was a new one to me.

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mezmo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:02 pm

I grew up in western NY State [with some early western PA too] and always thought
that we spoke with the "Standard American Accent'. But, when I was in the USAF years ago,
and was in San Antonio, TX visiting a friend who was stationed there, a Texas native told
me that I had an "Eastern Accent" - whatever that is. I assume that he meant an east coast
or northern accent since we definitely aren't even close to a New England accent where I come
from.

And that strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street curb is called a "subway" back there.
I've also heard it called called a "devil's strip", but I can't remember if that was another name
for it from there or if that is a name from some other place that I've lived in the meantime!

Also, "creek" is pronounced "crick" back there, and soft drinks are "pop" not "soda".

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mezmo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:04 pm

Deleted Double Post
Last edited by mezmo on Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Corwin C » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:06 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote: what do you call the strip of grass between the sidewalk and the curb, (most people just look blank) only a few places in the US it is called a "tree lawn".

Borrow ditch ... not many curbs or sidewalks around here. :R
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby DragonFire » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:07 pm

parking strip is what I always heard..but Hell Strip is what is heard occasionally now.

Here in the Sacramento area we don't have them...unless maybe you are in an older part of town. In the San Francisco area they were common in residential areas.

I have a California accent mixed with a few Tennessee words, as that is where my Grandmother was from. But I learned many years ago that 'Worshingon" was not the correct way to say "Washington" and a fish is not a feeesh. Nor is Sunday "Sundee".
'79 Grasshopper
Coleman Keepers 200a Gang
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:21 pm

I rather enjoyed reading this and seeing it is a few years old don't chya know.
Yah you betcha we have our own way of speakin here in Minnesootah as I am told we drag out the O.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to User Polls