Lunch time, wheel building experiment :

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Lunch time, wheel building experiment :

Postby Noob » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:11 pm

Old mavic ( low soke count ) wheelset, that there are no more (straight) spokes available ... and p.o.s. alex ( 32h ) wheelset, that wont stay true.

Result :

( 32 hole hub laced with a 2 cross "pattern" to the 16 hole rim, thats 8 spokes per side, skipping every other hole in the hub.)

This way if it needs a spoke any bike shop should have a regular spoke that they can cut to lenght if needed and repair the wheel... dont mind the p.o.s. hub from the p.o.s. wheelset, that also can be upgraded to a better hub at any time...

:D

Bend the knees, watch the trees, 5$ please.
Noob
The 300 Club

Re: Lunch time, wheel building experiment :

Postby Noob » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:54 am

Did the rear ...

Noob
The 300 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:37 pm

When I got my mountain bike (street slicks 110Lbs pressure) I would hear a ping on the right side and sure enough one of the spokes on the freewheel side had parted company. I got so good at replacing spokes... I finally had the 32 spoke wheels replaced with 36 spoke laced with DT spokes, Our tandem has 48 spoke four cross into Rino rims. I figured it would be cheaper and easier for me to lose some sail area (weight).
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:06 am

Noob wrote:Did the rear ...

ooh nice.. I didn't realize it was a cross bike.. I am not sure why but cross bikes always make me excited. :thumbsup:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Fenlason » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:07 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:When I got my mountain bike (street slicks 110Lbs pressure) I would hear a ping on the right side and sure enough one of the spokes on the freewheel side had parted company. I got so good at replacing spokes... I finally had the 32 spoke wheels replaced with 36 spoke laced with DT spokes, Our tandem has 48 spoke four cross into Rino rims. I figured it would be cheaper and easier for me to lose some sail area (weight).

I think my mountain tandem has 48 spoke wheels.. but one of my road tandems has 16 spoke wheels... which even to me sounds scary.. but they have been great.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Noob » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:49 am

Fenlason wrote:
Noob wrote:Did the rear ...

ooh nice.. I didn't realize it was a cross bike.. I am not sure why but cross bikes always make me excited. :thumbsup:

Yep, its just a scattante x330... its been good to me so far.

My dream cx bike would be carbon ( light for lifting and running ) with sora components, ( all the sand traps wear chains and cass/chainrings like crazy, but its no "biggie" if its sora. ) with 105/ultegra/duraace STI levers ( comfort & performance )... ( i know it would be speed in-compatable ???, is that a word? ) :D
Last edited by Noob on Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noob
The 300 Club

Postby Fenlason » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:47 pm

I am not sure what my dream cross bike would be.. :thinking: At one point it was an Independent Fab bike. I do like steel.. and hand built.. and they are an off spring of Fat City Cycles which I have a fondness for. Although my lastest few carbon bikes.. are pretty sweet.. so.. :shrug:

I currently have an older Cannondale..
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Return to Bicycles