Undercoating Alternative (No more sticky black stuff!)

Finishes, paints and coatings

Undercoating Alternative (No more sticky black stuff!)

Postby ohbugger » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:14 pm

Usually everyone uses the paint-on asphalt. That looked messy and not like the most fun. I used asphalt based window flashing:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_286475-81326-TS ... Id=3055547
It's about $13 for a 9" x 33' roll and I needed 2 rolls to cover and overlap the underside of my 6'x8' trailer. It's probably 1/32" of sticky rubberized asphalt with a thin protective film on the backside. I applied it from front to back but the stuff is so sticky I don't think 70 mph wind or water would penetrate even if it was backward.
I figured by the time you buy a gallon of tar and a brush to toss and some disposable gloves the $26 of flashing is the same price and a better sealant/protector. I hope people see this idea and find it useful!
- Erik -
ohbugger
Teardrop Master

Postby greekspeedoman » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:03 pm

Interesting idea. You'll have to let us know how it works. I'd love to ditch the black tar. It is like putting my face in gasoline for 30 min. just to apply it.
greekspeedoman
Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:36 pm

That stuff looks similar to Peel & Seal. It is used to repair mobile home roof leaks and is used commonly with car enthusiasts as a sound deadener.

I know it sticks like an insane stalker to metal, but I do not know how well it adheres to wood, but the product info says: Surface Recommended: metal, wood, masonry, asphalt... Why not!!!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-81326-PS625_?PL=1&productId=1018733
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby ohbugger » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:38 am

yup, it is very similar to some actual car audio sound deadener I have. The sound deadener is supposed to be butyl rubber or something whereas this is asphalt, but the effect is the same. Black sticky stuff on a roll.
I will note that there were a few times that I wanted to adjust it slightly after laying it down and that wasn't happening... it was definitely stuck. The only way to move it would have destroyed it.
- Erik -
ohbugger
Teardrop Master

Postby toypusher » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:20 am

I made this a sticky so that it does not disappear anytime soon.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby ohbugger » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:02 pm

toypusher wrote:I made this a sticky so that it does not disappear anytime soon.

Thank you sir! I'd love someone else to try it and give it a review, I think it's great, but who am I to decide?
- Erik -
ohbugger
Teardrop Master

Postby 2bits » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:53 pm

Works great on the roof of my Mobile home! I'll put this stuff on the bottom of my standy when I get to restoring it and post results!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Hello

Postby roberte » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:21 am

Just took the first $1,000 step and got my 98 S10 pickup with a receiver hitch, front shocks and rear air shocks. Buying a heavy duty trailer next week form Harbor Fright, about $400, need info on setting up the frame and floor.

I have seen trailers with bombers, shocks, wiring harness, spare tire racks, and storage brackets, very confusing.

If we can talk please ask for Robert, Las Vegas NV, 702-792-3319 to get more info on the sub floor protector, thanking you in-advance, Robert
roberte
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jstrubberg » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:52 pm

Hrm...

How about the roll on rubber stuff they use for the roofs of large RV's?
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby JeepThing » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:07 am

I actually used this stuff on my build, it sticks very well, ( note in the heat of summer it will get very soft) not a prob if you don,t touch it just messy as i used it on all corners where wall met floor or roof as well as around all the doors and windows. No water is going to get at the wood on my trailer, well worth the small cost. extra protection is a good thing. Like the rest of my trailer it's "Over built"
Tact is for people who aren’t witty enough to use sarcasm
JeepThing
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Undercoating Alternative (No more sticky black stuff!)

Postby Martiangod » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:09 am

I used coroplas (signboard)
Worked great

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby magilla » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:30 pm

I am using a product called Davco K10 plus, it is a paintable wet area waterproofing product that is also Traffic-able and UV stable, It is a water based product, no pong and goes on thick. available at any reputable tiling supplier
Colac, South West Victoria, South East Australia.
Some Aussie slang
Cans, frothies, stubbies or a pot if you are in a pub (club/bar/ale house)= beer..........Plonk = wine..........BBQ shapes = small savory biscuit to be eaten with stubbies or plonk
magilla
Teardrop Master

Postby Malibusurfer » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:06 pm

Just put the flashing down on my floors as well. I used a heat gun to get it real warm and squeegied it flatter to get into the grain more.... Seems like it's not gonna come up at all... I had some extra and put a thin piece over the seam for double the water protection.... Hopefully I get good results but she's not coming off in one piece!!! Only $15 and some change per roll here in OR at Lowes.
Scariest words to ever hear:
I'm from the Government and I'm here to help!!!
Malibusurfer
Teardrop Inspector

Postby egjacks » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:35 pm

I also decided to use the tite seal window flashing on the underside of my teardrop. (Well, under the teardrop floor, I can't call it a teardrop yet, cause it is just a floor.) I finished laying it on just this afternoon, so I can't say yet as far as the longevity of this product. The temperature in my garage was probably in the high 50s, and when I laid it down (before pressing it with hands or roller, after that, forget it!) I had a few seconds to pull it back up if I really needed to. After those few seconds though, it was stuck good. Like Malibusurfer, I used a heat gun over all the seams and corners. This seemed to make it stick even better, and helped mold the flashing around corners and edges, as well as smoothing small wrinkles.
Oh, and I had my wife helping me for about half of the project, I cannot stress enough how much a second pair of hands helped while applying the flashing, both in accuracy of placement and speed of application!

Those of you who have used this stuff, did you paint it or cover it in any way? I was trying to decide if it needed any protection...
Eric
Teardrop Master

Postby txcamper » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:53 pm

FYI - another example here - I'll try to remember to post up pictures after a couple seasons of use too.

txcamper
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Skinning secrets