Sewing Again

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Sewing Again

Postby rebapuck » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:47 am

I've been wanting to contribute to Little Dresses for Africa. But I really don't want to do anything with pillowcases. How boring.

I'm a quilter so I have a stash and I can get men's shirts at the Thrift Shop. But I'm not a mother and have no idea what size what age wears. So I went to JoAnnes to look at patterns. Good Lord!!! Patterns are $15 now. With JA's discount they were still $8. How long has it been since I sewed a dress? 40 years?

Anyway, the pattern has several sizes. What do you recommend I transfer each size onto to preserve them all. I'm thinking posterboard, cause I have it. I have some heavy plastic sheeting(drop cloth). I really only need the bodices because the rest is just A-line type. Will consider all suggestions.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:06 pm

When you are making a pattern in a pattern making class, they often use inexpensive muslin.

If you have an old cotton bed sheet, that would do. Using material allows you to fold the pattern to store it. Of course, folding the pattern in the same place will, over time (years), make the material wear at the crease.

I have even made patterns out of used paper grocery sacks.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Maureenm » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:45 pm

Freezer paper can be a good option,too, if you need something a little sturdier than newsprint. Jo-Ann fabrics has patterns on sale frequently for as little as $1. Look through the ads or check online to find out about the sales. They usually feature a specific brand, such as Simplicity, and the limit is 10. Patterns these days are often multiple sizes, which might help you out. I know what you mean about the sticker shock, I experienced it, too, when I had not purchased a pattern for several years. My daughter had mentioned the pattern sales, so I just waited a few weeks until they had another sale.
Maureenm
Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:23 pm

Those all sound like good options. The muslin might fray abit, but I could use a fabric glue on the edge. And you are right, it will fold up.

Plastic wouldn't fray, but getting the fold lines out to lay it flat might be a problem.

I'll be on the look out for pattern sales. I haven't sewn clothing in so long. I really don't need any as I live in my tees and jeans, but when I do have to dressup, I want something that fits right. Unfortunately, I always put off making something because"I'm going to lose some weight first". Like that is ever going to happen.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Maureenm » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:04 pm

I'm with ya there! I was thinking a pattern or two for your little dresses might give you some design options. Not like the recipients would care, but might be more fun for you. The multiple sized patterns are good for those of us that are not of a perfect shape. I found that fabric is so spendy these days that I don't sew much for myself,either. Although I do plan to make some PJ pants out of some cute fabric with trailers, for camping!
Maureenm
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:13 pm

:applause: :thumbsup: Don't forget to look at thrift shops for patterns. Also some used book stores will have then. I used to use brown paper bags. Tracing paper can be used for transferring but use a straight wheel. The wheel with spurs on will poke holes and ruin your patterns.

You can also buy news print at the hobby/art stores. Don't use newspaper because the ink comes off. 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:36 pm

Judy,

My sis reads just about everything I write on this forum. She passes on this bit of wisdom for you:

Hey, I was just reading your forum--When I copy a pattern to reuse a bazillion times I make it on nonwoven interfacing, medium weight. I have used just one copy for about 80 of those hats I sell on Etsy and it is just starting to pull apart.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mrsanderson » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:52 pm

I was just thinking Sharon, about fusible interfacing...before cutting out the pattern, iron it onto the paper then cut on the lines...this doesn't give you multiple sizes from one pattern but if you get the generic interfacing it is a great way to reuse the same size pattern.
5 out of 4 people have a problem with statistics
mrsanderson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rebapuck » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:47 pm

Sharon, tell your sister that I like her idea the best. I bet I can see through the interfacing well enough to trace the pattern.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:51 pm

HaHaHa! You probably just told her yourself. :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Sewing Again

Postby bonnie » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:08 pm

rebapuck wrote: Patterns are $15 now. With JA's discount they were still $8.

Jackman's fabrics regularly has patterns on sale for $2, or so. If you don't have one near, pm me the pattern you're looking at and I'll try and catch it for you.

Bonnie
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby PanelDeland » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:11 pm

I looked in here because wommen tend to have a different veiw on things and it's helpful to have balance in our lives.I saw this and though I don't sew I do remember my Grandmother made most of our clothes when we were small.She would trim a pattern out and sew it from an old sheet or one of grandads old shirts if the pattern was small enough.She would do two copies.One she kept and another she sent to my aunt.Then they both had the patter to sewfrom.If this is a charity donation,maybe other donors would be willing to share patterns.Just a thought.
"I know the voices in my head aren't real,but they have some really good Ideas!"
PanelDeland
Teardrop Master

Postby Mloves2camp » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:03 pm

Interfacing - what a great idea! I'll tell my sister who also has an Etsy shop. She makes clothes for little ones & fleece hats for everyone. All the proceeds go to a food pantry.

We always made patterns with brown paper bags. I still have the one from a square dance circle skirt from 8th grade, it held up well! (the pattern now fits my thigh I think!)

Cheap patterns can be found at thrift stores. Some of us buy patterns & never get around to using them & off they go to the thrift. I usually pay 10 whole cents for them.
Marianne

Young at heart, the other parts, not so much.
Mloves2camp
Teardrop Builder

Postby doug hodder » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:16 pm

Check for red dot pattern material. It has a dot matrix on 1" centers. It's made for duplicating patterns, cheap and if your pattern gets wrinkled up, irons out easily. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Return to Lady Teardroppers