Low profile water tanks?

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Low profile water tanks?

Postby driftwood » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:57 pm

Anyone know where to buy these (the kind that you mount flat beneath your trailer)...

Thanks
driftwood
Silver Donating Member

Re: Low profile water tanks?

Postby 48Rob » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:36 pm

Water tanks (fresh water) usually go inside the trailer, and gray or black water tanks (waste) go under the trailer.

E bay is a good place to start looking.
There are several companies that make custom size tanks, if you can't find one the right size.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... Categories

http://www.plastic-mart.com/category.aspx?cat=12

If you really want to mount a fresh tank under the trailer, you'll need to run some bracing from rail to rail to support it, angle or channel is generally used.
Not sure how big a tank you need, but keeping the weight over or near the axle will help maintain balance.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby driftwood » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:39 pm

Thanks Rob, will keep looking around. I recall where I saw them now.. it is what Camp Inn uses on theirs. They are wide and flat, and 8 gallons according to their website. They mount theirs side by side beneath the camper. Gets them out of the way and frees up space. May see if they sell them.

I want to replace my 8 inch round sink in my galley with a larger square sink, one that is deeper and can actually be used for something other than washing your hands, and will have to remove the 5 gallon fresh and gray tanks that are mounted in the space beneath the sink now to create space for the deeper sink. I am only plumbed with a DC pump that pulls water from the current tank, and I want to rig it up for city water hookup too. Am just beginning to research what I need to do to option for both, any pointers to instructions on how to do this would be appreciated.

By the way, the instructions you gave me on how to install a roof fan in my tear was spot-on... took it out for my first trip last week, huge improvement to my camping experience with fan moving air out of the camper, cancelling out noise, etc. As you predicted with my thin roof, it did flatten the roof a bit around the fan, but the practicality of the fan well worth it!
driftwood
Silver Donating Member

Postby Betsey » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:08 pm

driftwood wrote: I recall where I saw them now.. it is what Camp Inn uses on theirs. They are wide and flat, and 8 gallons according to their website. They mount theirs side by side beneath the camper. Gets them out of the way and frees up space. May see if they sell them.

We do sell them...Craig designed them for our teardrops but they will fit other teardrops, as well. They aren't listed on our online store but if you either call or email Cary [email protected] he can give you the info you need.

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 48Rob » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:04 am

Glad to hear your fan install worked out! :thumbsup:

They sure are a nice thing to have built in.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby 8ball_99 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:57 pm

You can mount freshwater tanks under a trailer NP. Plenty of toyhaulers do it to save space inside. I mounted a couple under my cargo trailer right at the axles.. Only thing to keep in mind is if you camp in cold weather you will need to insulate the tank and maybe even install a Tank heater depending on how low the temps will be when your camping..

As far as a tank goes if you don't need that much capacity maybe look into using Large PVC pipe.. I've seen posts on here where people have just 6" PVC pipe for water tanks. 5-6' long piece holds more then you think it would.
8ball_99
500 Club

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets