Camp Stove selection

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

To plug in or not to plug in?

Postby pmowers » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:08 pm

Good question. Even though I haven't camped without electric in at least 10 years, we still use propane- but then I have a gas stove at home. If I were to use a hotplate I would burn everything. And some look at us strangely when we are camping in tents, cooking over a coleman, with a microwave oven and refrigerator sitting right there in the camp kitchen. Since my friend bought a 19' Bantam, we don't sleep in a tent anymore, but still cook most of our meals outside- maybe just old habits die hard. Like my old CSM said, "the purpose of going to the field is not to be miserable, but to learn how not to be."
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Build log:http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51193
pmowers
Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:44 am

Has anyone used the Coleman Fold-N-Go or the All-in-One stove?
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby eamarquardt » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:19 am

Oldragbaggers wrote:Has anyone used the Coleman Fold-N-Go or the All-in-One stove?

I bought a Fold-N-Go to use as a BBQ (I know that's profane). They make a grate so you can use it as a conventional burner and also an aluminum griddle top for it. The grate might be worthwhile but I'd go for the grate and a separate frying pan/skillet/griddle rather than the Coleman attachment.

It is reasonably well made, reasonably easy to clean, and cooks ok although not as well as my Patio Caddie grills at home. The BBQ grill is only sheet metal (but porcelain coated), the area over the burner is solid (no vents), and doesn't cook quite the same as a regular grill but close enough.

I like the size of it and it folds up nicely.

Like all things in life, it is a compromise but a reasonable one. I'm keeping my separate propane burner as I BBQ and cook at the same time but I'd say the Fold-N-Go is a keeper.

There you have it, again, the world according to Gus.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:40 am

Thanks Gus!
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby KBS » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:58 pm

I have a classic Coleman 425 gas stove. It works fine, but I hardly ever use it because the white gas is smelly and the pumping, and all that. So, I bought a $16 conversion generator that accepts 1 lb. propane bottles. Now it fires up instantly without any fuss.
Karl Stevens
KBS
Teardrop Advisor

Postby iplay10us2 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:57 am

I'm a solo camper, so this is what I now carry with me and use.

http://www.safarichefgrill.com/safari_chef_grills.php

Only downside for some would be that it is only the one burner. I usually do cook my evening meal over the fire or use the bbq pit if the campground has one, so normally don't need more than one burner.
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:27 am

I like that little grill did it set you back a lot of $$$ think we would like one
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby iplay10us2 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:30 pm

bc toys wrote:I like that little grill did it set you back a lot of $$$ think we would like one

Amazon has some new ones for $70.

http://www.amazon.com/CADAC-Safari-Chef-Lightweight-Gas/dp/B002JTQ25W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320705124&sr=8-1
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby campmaster-k » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:04 pm

Image 8)
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby campmaster-k » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:40 pm

Make no mistake about it. That three burner is HUGE. And its heavy. It does work good and its very sturdy.

They are all good choices.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:10 am

mikeschn wrote:So let's say you've set up a campground queen teardrop that runs only on electric. And you end up at a campground that doesn't have electric. What do you do?

Can't cook, cause your stove is electric.

No lights, cause they are all electric too!

Or do you pack 2 stoves, and wire for two sets of lights? How about 2 sets of furnaces, and 2 sets of air conditioners? :? :? :?

Mike...

We went to our fall gathering and we used one of these........

I dug out coals and chucked them under my legged spider skillet and we made breakfast. We dug out more coals later and made apple brown betty and a monster meatloaf.

No electricity or propane required but I will confess I did add 12 to 15 kingsford charcoal bricketts to the dutch oven for the apple brown betty to be better able to control the baking.

Ain't that what campin's about ????
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby theonetruetom » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am

I have 2 stoves that I take with me camping: My main stove is a Coleman 2-burner propane stove, the standard green one. My secondary (which is actually more versatile, and boils water faster) is a Cadac Safari Chef. Kind of like this one, but without the lid. http://www.safarichefgrill.com/
theonetruetom
Teardrop Inspector

Camp Stove selection

Postby Nite Ryder » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:03 am

Yes, I have a camp chef propane stove like the OP was asking about, and I've used it quite a bit. It is basically a two burner propane hot plate with a few extras thrown in. Mine had a griddle that fits over the grill if a person wants to use it. The only trouble I have had is sometimes in windy conditions the flame is blown out (when on low), so I make a fold up wind screen out of some galvanized sheet metal to go around the burners. I still have a white gas Coleman cook stove, and I have an attachment for it that allows you to use propane instead of white gas. I have a one burner Coleman Peak that I sometimes use for day trips, and a large one burner gas hot plate that I use with a large 7 1/2 gallon military type cooking pot. My wife thinks I have a fetish for camp cooking stuff, I store most of my stuff in a cargo trailer that I can pull to our shooting range for cooking. I also have a Chrysler Air Temp, diesel fired military cook stove that was made in 1945. The camp chef is worth the money, I like mine very much.
If its got a cork,I'll drink it - if it's got a tune,I'll dance to it - if it's got a trigger, I'll shoot it - if it's got hair, I'll ride it.
Nite Ryder
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Camp Stove selection

Postby BobBash » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:12 pm

I recently bought an electric induction single cooktop from Amazon made by DuxTop & it is the model 8300ST . It sells for about $76 . I think it's great . You need cookware that is made out of any ferris metal ( magnetic) but it heats up much quicker than any other cooktop that I have tried & by doing so , uses less energy . For heating up a sizeable pot of water it's hard to beat .The only thing that could be a downside is that when it's on , a fan is running & that may be bothersome to some folks .....
BobBash
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Camp Stove selection

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:35 pm

We have an electric griddle/large fry pan that Nancy uses when we have AC and we have the tree burner cook top and now the gas point that I can plug our small gas grill into. I also feed the water heater with either gas or electric. I just received the new 25# translucent propane tank the day after the accident. The National and some of the state Parks we will be staying in on the way out to California do not have electricity (one reason I wanted to be able to see how much gas we have).
For ecological and price I have always avoided the 1# tanks, I want something I can fill.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets