Security & Camping alone

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:07 am

I would imagine the sight of an axe in close proximity could be nearly as formidable as the sound of a shotgun being pumped.

...As long as the creep isn't the Axe Murderer. :o
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby hiker chick » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:01 pm

S. Heisley wrote:
I would imagine the sight of an axe in close proximity could be nearly as formidable as the sound of a shotgun being pumped.

And he'll wonder if I'm Lizzie Borden redux.
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:02 pm

hiker chick wrote:
S. Heisley wrote:

And he'll wonder if I'm Lizzie Borden redux.

Thanks for a good laugh Sharon and HC!! :lol: :lol:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby wired » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:53 pm

NRA regularly offers shooting schools for ladies....
wired
The 300 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:30 am

wired wrote:NRA regularly offers shooting schools for ladies....

and men... ;)
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Re: Security & Camping alone

Postby Mloves2camp » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:42 am

Hello to all! I'm new around here, but I had to jump in on the converstation. First, I want to say how nice it is to see other gals who camp alone! I only know one other gal that would, so to say the least I'm thrilled you're here!
'
Not only have I camped alone with kids, but also by myself. Also, having worked as a home health nurse, I've been in areas of St. Louis that are the worst of the worst. They shoot at the cops if they drive down certain streets, I'm not kiding! I don't get scared easily. Someone pointed out how you act aka body language. You have to be a confident women to go alone, so right there you're showing you're not a wimp! Having on sneakers, not fashionable footwear means you're able to run. Don't dress all girly & available looking, especially if you're in an area with a lot of people. What I'm saying is don't look like a victim.

My weapon of choice is my brain & a baseball bat, cane, whatever is closest when I pack. Knowing anatomy helps. If a head pokes in your door, fingers to the eyes is easy. A punch to the windpipe is better than trying to punch the face. Easier to hurt it & you don't break your fist! A punch in the chest is better than the belly, you can knock the wind out 'em. If you're really good, you'll catch a rib & break it, maybe even puncture a lung. In a teardrop, you may not be able to get a good swing on a bat, so be prepared to use your hands, unless you have a gun & intend on using it. A cop friend told me the worst thing you can do is point a gun & not use it. It's a good way to lose your gun. A shot in the dirt is better than none. Remember, if you spray pepper spray at them, you're going to get it too, as you're in a confined space. You're mostly left with your hands. Know how to use them. The other easy place to hurt a man is his man parts. I recall catching Oprah one day & she had an old woman on who took down a burglar who tried to attack her. When asked how she accomplished this, she replied "honey, I grabbed him by his *stuff* & hung on for dear life! She squeezed & twisted until he hit the floor, LOL! When I worked in a hospital, sometimes we'd get men patients who had surgery in that area. Believe me, nothing keeps a man off his feet like having his 'business' injured. Be mean, fight dirty & holler like crazy! Moral of the story, don't ever make a nurse mad, we know how to hurt you! :lol: Couldn't resist that one!

A good thing at home as well as camping is to leave a pair of mens shoes outside the door. The larger the size, the better. Believe it or not, the cops even say it is an effective deterrant. My girlfriend whose husband wears a size 14 can testify to that! She leave his dirty workboots outside the door. She's never had a problem! Like others have said, make it look like someone is with you. I always keep 2 chairs out. Go so far as to leave a glass or something by it, like someone will be right back.

An area I like to camp in didn't have 911 until the last year or so. I think I'd check to make sure there is that service in the area. If not, make sure to get the local sheriff's number. Here's a link to some special cell numbers you may not know exist, like *55, the number to call on a cellphone instead of 911 in some states. Make sure to scroll down to see other useful info, like the 511 number. http://www.ou.edu/oupd/highway-cell.htm

Especially when with my kids, I'd let the rangers know I was alone with them, so they'd keep an eye out. MO state parks have always been real good about that. I much prefer these days to go where there isn't anyone else. If they're coming by car, I'll hear 'em coming down the dirt road or on the gravel bar. It's hard to be quiet walking through rocks. I feel pretty safe like that.

Well, hope I haven't scared you off, I really am a nice person! I just refuse to live in fear. I'm a free spirit & go where I please. I have a blast! Hope to meet some of you! Sorry for the long post, just thought I'd share. There's too many weirdos & other sorts out there!

Marianne
Marianne

Young at heart, the other parts, not so much.
Mloves2camp
Teardrop Builder

Postby Oldragbaggers » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:47 am

No need to apologize at all Marianne. That's all very good information. Thanks for sharing it.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mloves2camp » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:19 am

Thanks, Becky, I appreciate it. Glad you found it useful!

Wanted to pass this along too - the other night, I was up late with the TV on. There was a show on, I think called Alaska State Troopers or some such. Believe it or not, a guy used bear spray on a person & was arrested for it, even though he was defending himself! Can you imagine? It states on the label 'not for use on humans' & that's what got him in trouble. (but it's okay to shoot someone, I don't get it!) So, you may want to use 'human spray' instead of bear spray, just to be okay with the law. The court decisions on some things shock the heck out of me & just don't make good sense! I don't know how that turned out, but better safe than sorry.

Now, I need to read about 10 more pages & see what ideas others have.
Marianne

Mloves2camp
Teardrop Builder

Postby Alleged User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:51 am

A good read with some good advice, ladies. Thanks!

Just an idea...I carry a staple remover with me sometimes. It's small, sharp as hell, and simple to wield. Jam it against any foreign body part that you think needs a bloody good gash in it, and squeeze 'til the job's done...it doesn't take much. Keep one in your car, and in your TD cabin.

:thumbsup:
Kelly & Duke
2011 ZZ Drop
Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. - Eskimo proverb
Alleged User
Donating Member

Location: Northern Virginia...not to be confused with Virginia.

Postby Mloves2camp » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:29 pm

Hmm, kinda reminds me of snake fangs! Might get someone's attention, especially in the places I've mentioned! Buwahahaha!

You've just given me an idea - I don't own a gun, but I do have a instant lighting blow torch thingie. You press it like a gun & out comes fire. Handy little tool, don'tcha think? Of course, I'd have to have a fire extinguisher handy, wouldn't want my vehicle to be harmed! ;)
Marianne

Mloves2camp
Teardrop Builder

Postby CAJUN LADY » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:56 pm

We need a "Like" button here!
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby T@Baker » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Here lies "one" of my alarms...
He's chillin' with one of my daughters.

Crystal -
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says, "Oh, crap. She's up."
T@Baker
Teardrop Master

Postby Mloves2camp » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:46 pm

Ran across this on ebay, thought it may be good to warn the axe murderers before they try anything! :lol:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/caqdlnh
Marianne

Mloves2camp
Teardrop Builder

Security & Camping alone

Postby Verna » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:43 am

I finally remembered to look for Bear Spray at Gander Mountain. WOW!!!! Is that stuff really $55 every where else? Just curious. (I've been helping with my sick brother this week and haven't had time to shop around on-line.)
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mloves2camp » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:40 am

Verna, try ebay. I looked for you & there are many good deals on bear spray. When I need something, I check there first. As long as you check the feedback on a seller first & make sure they're not going to be a pain to deal with. Can't say I've ever had any big problems, but sure have gotten some great deals! Sure helps the budget!
Marianne

Mloves2camp
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers