Pet camping secrets

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: Pet camping secrets

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:31 pm

Thanks, Jstrubberg. I put a Britta pitcher on my list of things to purchase.

= = = = =
Yes! Good one! Rice cooked in chicken or beef broth would work.
I have mixed a little cottage cheese into some scrambled eggs and cooked it all well.
That's pretty easy on everybody's tummy.

...I'm surprised that we haven't heard from Planovet yet.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby droid_ca » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:36 pm

Wasn't that hard but now I got 2 dogs as well so might take a little more work
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby dmb90260 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:20 am

I travel with 2 or 3 Cairn terriers. Away from home they are in the xpen when they are outside unless I am walking them. They would rather roam in and out like at home but that does not happen. One word about the electric fences, they keep your dog in, they do not keep other dogs out and a one time shock will not deter a terrier that sees a squirrel it wants to chase. I have some Nite Dawg collars for walking around camp grounds. They light up at night and I can see right where the dogs are and they do get good comments on being stylish. I got them off of Amazon for $15 or so.
Another handy item is one of those baseball caps with an LED in the bill. They are very handy when searching for the last dump when your hands are full of leashes and not a flashlight.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Kathy53 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:22 am

The first time I took My dog camping he would not eat his dog food he wanted what ever we was eating. So the next time I took him camping I fed him precooked lean ground beef with peas and carrots. I would warm it up for him. He was happy with that. At home he is perfectly happy with his dog food.
Kathy53
The 300 Club

Postby Kharn » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:29 pm

What do you do with a large dog (I have a lab) at night? Last time I went, it was cold enough we could leave her in her kennel in the truck, but what about the nights when its too warm? Put their kennel in a tent near the tear?
Kharn
500 Club

Postby Kathy53 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:50 pm

"The first time I took My dog camping he would not eat his dog food he wanted what ever we was eating. So the next time I took him camping I fed him precooked lean ground beef with peas and carrots. I would warm it up for him. He was happy with that. At home he is perfectly happy with his dog food."
Oops! Forgot I also add rice to that mix.
Kathy53
The 300 Club

Postby SteveW » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:53 am

Verna wrote:SteveW:

Please don't give the dogs white bread. It kills the good bacteria in the dog's digestive system. (I do not know if this applies to wheat or whole grain bread.)

Yikes, didn't know that.

My point wasn't really to feed your dog bread, but rather NOT to feed canned food if they are used to dry. Massive difference in fat content.

We've done rice and broth when in places where we could cook, and the dogs were content with no stomach distress.
Steve
The build is on.
SteveW
Teardrop Master

Postby kbuddy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:47 am

I take my 3 dogs camping. I feed mine a diet of raw chicken backs, and make sure to bring enough for the trip.. I've never really had a problem with them not wanting to eat their food, but they do eat the exact same stuff at home or at camp.
kbuddy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Roly Nelson » Thu May 10, 2012 4:50 pm

Just rescued my Pomerainan, Roxy from the shelter about a month ago. Drove the 850 miles up to the Dam Gathering, and she threw up after only driving 80 miles. I made the mistake of feeding her before we left home. She did fine the rest of the trip, due to a partially empty stomach. She sleeps all night long, right next to my shoulder and has long flowing redish brown hair. When I woke up, I thought for a minute that I was in bed with a gal that I knew in high school, who had the same hair color. Roxy is everybodys friend and always keeps me in sight while camping. No problems with this little love-bug........plus, she is a great chick magnet. So, where are all of those wonderful, sweet, gorgeous almost-80 year olds? Come on Roxy, do your thing. All tongue in cheek, Don't cha-know..........
8) :? :oops: ;) Roly
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby ZippyTheTurtle » Mon May 14, 2012 12:12 pm

Chicken and rice is always good in a pinch if the pet stores aren't open. Unflavored chicken and rice that is. Normally if you change dog food even dry dog food on your dog in an instant you might expect a late night surprise. :frightened:
-ZippyTheTurtle

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

I want to be different. Just like everybody else.
ZippyTheTurtle
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kathy53 » Tue May 15, 2012 12:30 am

Roly I am so happy you got your baby back. :thumbsup: :applause:
Kathy53
The 300 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed May 23, 2012 11:50 pm

Just be careful, so folks went camping in a tent dog was outside on a leash. Racoons came it got between them and the food and they took it on.

know where the the food is and what type of wild animals are there. I live by a large State park with mountain lions and coyotes they at times come down and feed on left out animal food, Cats, and sometime small dogs. The raccoons we have hear are big as small dogs and bobcats are too.

None of the people I have camped with have had this problem, but it is best to be safe then finding a vet in the middle of the night.
The emergency Vets around here are 50 miles away and demand proof of finance before they will help.

We travel with a large first aid kit for us.
it is suggested you bring his medial history incase.
Check list for animal first aid
http://www.avma.org/firstaid/supplies.asp
a small flashing bike light or reflector for night

Medical

All of their medical records
Current tags on dog
Find out in advance where the nearest 24 hour vet is located
First aid kit for pets
Flea and tick repellant
Phone number to your veterinarian
Spray for bugs
Tweezers and/or Mentholatum for removing ticks

also suggested
Always keep in mind that dogs should not be subject to the extreme heat of summer or the extreme cold of winter. If you can I would suggest leaving the dog with a friend or kennel.
Call ahead to see what is allowed -- some require pet to sleep in tent or car so bring any carrier or bedding you need for the pet.

hope this helps :D
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Lindahun » Sun May 27, 2012 11:48 am

I always take my 3 dogs camping with me. Only had a problem once when the latest addition came with us and changed her diet. Middle of the night she woke me needing to go out. Little dog seemed to explode. So no, don't change their diet. I also have the stakes that screw into the ground with a lead for each dog. They have the pads from their cages to lay on when chained up. They each have a cage for their own space. I love camping with my dogs, they encourage me to go for more walks. Life would be so easy with just one dog, but they each needed a home .

I take them to dinners, etc and leave them caged in the car with the windows down. It's what they are use to and works for us. I do miss out on group trips because I can't take them, but overall it's a small price to pay for having them with me.

I bought some screen to fit in the car windows at night for them to sleep in their cages in the car. I also have a fan for them if it's really hot. Lots easier taking them camping in a car than on road trips on a motorcycle. I only had two dogs back then though.

Linda
Lindahun
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jeff0520 » Sun May 27, 2012 6:16 pm

Here's my advice, Know your dogs. Laurie and I have 3 dogs at the moment. (The fourth one went to doggy heaven last week after 14 1/2 years living with us <sniffle>)
We have Cocoa, the 85 pound pit bull. We tried Cocoa on a camping trip, but Cocoa is a princess. She doesn't like to go outside when it's raining because her paws get dirty. She has a favorite smell. Most dogs do...it's what they like to roll in. Most dogs love dead fish...road kill...wet garbage, or something like that. Cocoa loves to roll in clean laundry. Downey fabric softener is her favorite smell. She is a Hilton Hotel dog, not a camping dog.
We have Lady, the 50 pound seal point collie. Lady would probably have enjoyed camping...5 years ago. Lady is 15 years old, and has Canine Cognitive Disorder (doggy version of Altzheimer's disease.) Lady would be very likely to get confused in strange surroundings, wander off, and die alone in the woods. Lady wont be with us much longer. Age is slowly taking her away from us. <sniffle>
We also have Molly, the 130 pound Great Pyrenees. Molly is 3 years old, and loves all things outdoorsy. She WILL roll in dead fish. She doesn't care about being muddy. Molly is our camping dog. We leave the other 2 at home to guard the fort with a trusted neighbor checking on them several times a day.
Know your dogs, and make sure they are the sort for camping. If they are a Cocoa type, or a Lady type, Leave them at home
Hypno-Toad's Command Post, the build thread! http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50384

jeff0520
The 300 Club

Postby Jkester » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:51 pm

Our dog has a cotton coat (think hair) and we usually need to get the scissor and tweezers out to cut burrs and other hitchhikers out of her fur. We didn't have scissors on her first camping trip and she started to have a camouflaged look with all the debris stuck to her.

Have fun.
He who loves instruction loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid.
-- Proverbs 12:1

Our build journal is http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50670
Jkester
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic