question about waffle dog iron

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

question about waffle dog iron

Postby bam1028 » Mon May 28, 2012 3:19 pm

I have went to about eight different antique shops looking for one of these things and to no avail. I get the look that I am a four eyed alien when I ask for one or if they had seen one come through. I am not willing to pay the high price for one on eBay. Has anyone else had the same trouble.
bam1028
Teardrop Advisor

Re: question about waffle dog iron

Postby Loader » Mon May 28, 2012 3:33 pm

Same here....but I keep looking. It will appear one day! Hang in there.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Zollinger » Mon May 28, 2012 8:13 pm

I had the same problem. Finally gave up and did the buy it now. I make sure that I use it every time we go camping.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Mon May 28, 2012 10:32 pm

You might do better by going to a yard/garage sale, especially if it is an "older" couple, or someone cleaning out their folks house
( i.e. an estate sale), cuz this is the item that could sit in a back cupboard/shelf for years and then just get purged one day.
Ah....the folklore of hunting for the elusive waffle dog.....it's all in the hunt. Then, the enjoyment of the cook.
Good luck, and may your quest prove fruitful. :R The Teardrop Nanny
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby doug hodder » Tue May 29, 2012 9:22 pm

Unfortunately, a waffle dogger is like gold. It's where you find it! They have been found in the wild for as little as $2.50 at a thrift store, and a fellow teardropper got a pair for 25$. I did E-bay and got away for 10$, no box, instructions and missing a handle. I couldn't care less for the box or the instructions.

Who knows just how many of them were made, so it's almost impossible to have any idea of what's out there to find. It's just a fun quirky cooking gadget and something very retro for camping. If someone finds one missing handles...just get it, within reason. Handles aren't that tough to make. Just get some 1/4 x 20 7" bolts, drill some dowels, stick the bolt through them and screw it on. It's the main castings that you want. The boxes and instructions are for the real collectors. I'm sure someone with the instructions would be more than willing to send you a copy of them. Don't pay for the cardboard and paper if you don't have to.

Sorry, but our interest in these elusive items have driven up the prices. We should not post when one is available and just let it be, those that aren't that serious on obtaining one, would miss out, the serious hunters would have a better shot at it and the prices would be more reasonable. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby DragonFire » Tue May 29, 2012 11:03 pm

Doug..I've noticed that for some reason they are popular in Hawaii, too. Not sure why...except that the sausage ones *someone* made for me were so good I just have to have the iron so I can make them myself!

Someday I hope to own one. They are cool. But I suspect there are hoarders out there waiting for the right moment to cash in...and if it's like toas-tites, they will go from $86+ on Ebay down to $15-25.

At least I hope so! Meanwhile..back to the Estate Sales! :thumbsup:
'79 Grasshopper
Coleman Keepers 200a Gang
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Wed May 30, 2012 8:21 am

Corn dogs/waffle dogs are a HUGE comfort food in the islands. I remember having my fill of them while visiting there. Snocones (shaved ice) too. TDN

And Doug is such a style maverick and trend setter! First it was waffle irons, then coffee grinders, Coleman lanterns, waffle doggers.......next?

:goodmorning: Who knows?? When he sees something neat/retro he goes for it! :scratchthinking: How about______________?
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Return to Cast Iron