Count Me In - I Got A Turd

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Count Me In - I Got A Turd

Postby KCStudly » Thu May 31, 2012 8:32 pm

I'm pleased as punch!

As many of you know from watching my Poet Creek build thread, and my comments on Coleman Keepers Campfire, I am concentrating on the TD build (trying to get something accomplished each and every day...pray I can be campable in time) and hoping that some pressurized white gas appliances will find there way to me.

Kirk (Campmaster-K), Maureen, and my local friend and coworker Larry have all graciously agreed to be on the look out for me (a heart felt thank you to "my pickers").

Well, Larry came through in a big way today.

Hardly used, Model 275A Turd, in the original box with 4 mantles and instruction pamphlet.
The previous image doesn't actually show all of the soot, but it wasn't bad at all.

The tapered half frosted/striped globe is broken, the box is a little crinkly and has a some moisture staining, and the pamphlet has some dark smudges on the back panel, but otherwise it seems pretty cherry so far. Slight scuff in the paint on the fount just over the "5" in the "275", and there's a couple of very small dents in the top of the hat that look like someone was not super careful about aligning the top stud when putting the hat back on, but you can't even see those in the pic's so I guess they aren't really there. It's the later 275 with the "ON/Off" knob.

I have already begun looking for a replacement globe and have at least one source http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/product.php?productid=206&cat=32&page=4 ($35+$5 special handling fee), but I am hoping to do better. The clear ones are available cheap.

From what I can recall this is just like the one dad had, except his was the dark green color and had the clear globe. Maybe his fount was taller and not so big around, but that is probably my mind playing tricks on me. I am almost 100% sure that dad's was a one piece hat, so...

The address printed on the box top says,
1542239-1 PO
ARK SURPLUS
1351 SOUTH GRATIOT
MT CLEMENS, MI 48043

Says "275A710" on each side of the box and "Model 275A710" on the pamphlet. I am assuming that the 710 suffix means the trim option (brown color and stripe frosted globe).

In ball point pen on the box top it's marked "3198", which I take to be the original sales price.

Now here's the kicker. When I asked Larry how much I owed him, he told me a little story. Found it at a yard sale, guy wanted 50 cents. Larry bundled it with a like new offshore made 4-1/2 inch grinder w/ wire wheel and some abrasive disks (also asking 50 cents) for the grand sum total of... get this, 50 cents.

Larry, of course, would not take the quarter, but I plan on bringing in a dozen dough nuts, and that will make him happy!

Now a question, is it correct to call this a Big Hat (even though I am assuming that all 275/275A's had this single piece stamping style big hat) or is that description reserved for the earlier styles that were available in either configuration?

Picked up a gallon of the juice on the way home. Once home I pulled the pump and massaged in a couple or three drops of light machine oil (3 in 1) and smeared a bit more into the pump cylinder with my finger. Pumped right up. The fuel cap seal is fine and the fount was dry inside with an even brown tinge color throughout.

I gave it a wipe down to clean off the disintegrated mantle dust, and a bit of the soot, tied on a couple of the mantles that came with it and toasted them up.

At this point I wished I hadn't done the mantles just yet, because I had intended to slosh some fuel around in it. So I put a bit of juice in using the funnel I got previously (with coffee filter in place of the gennie cloth filter insert).

Sloshed it around and poured it back through the filter funnel into a pie tin. Inspection found no particles or discoloration, so the fuel got poured back in, and topped up.

First light.

Lots of little holes in both mantles, probably from me shaking them around while sloshing fuel pre light up.

No big deal, I'm tickled pink! (er...brown) ;) :D
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: Count Me In - I Got A Turd

Postby campmaster-k » Thu May 31, 2012 8:37 pm

Great lantern. Great pic spread. Great burn. 8)

I am fairly new to the Coleman stuff., but in my opinion the turd is not a big hat. The 228 is a big hat.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu May 31, 2012 8:43 pm

The new mantles come from the factory with lots of little holes. Just another feature.

If you order anything from oldcolemanparts do your self a favor and get some Peerless for it. Then don't breath the fumes. If you care to live another 30-60 years.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu May 31, 2012 8:52 pm

"Peerless"? Some sort of glass cleaner?
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu May 31, 2012 9:02 pm

Oh, Peerless Mantles. Much better than the new colemans
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu May 31, 2012 9:13 pm

Okay, thanks. I do have some older mantles with different Coleman labels on them. They were stashed in the old propane suitcase camp stove. I'll check those out and try them next.

I know the instructions say to replace the mantles whenever they get any holes in them, but what is the real world good practice?
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Joamon » Thu May 31, 2012 10:22 pm

Great find and great price! :thumbsup:

Keith
Joamon
Teardrop Master

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu May 31, 2012 10:33 pm

KCStudly wrote:I know the instructions say to replace the mantles whenever they get any holes in them, but what is the real world good practice?

I really don't know. But if there is a hole pointing right at the globe, replace it. That can break the glass or put a permanent smudge there. The first lantern I got back in March 2010 has a crack in one mantel nearly the full length of it. But as is pointing more the other mantel than the glass it has not done any damage. And I have taken the lantern on a few trips. Probably about 2000 miles. Mantel is still holding in there.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Zollinger » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:17 am

:thumbsup: On the peerless mantles. The newer Coleman mantles just suck! They can say what they want about the Turds at the CCF, but it still is my best lighting lantern in the bunch. Good luck finding a frosted globe. They are hard to find. I would buy another 275 in the wild just for the original globe.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:33 am

I am hoping to find a turd in the wild. and before I step on it.

:lol: :lol:

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:33 pm

"That's funny, I don't feel turdy" - My litttle play on Van Halen's Hot For Teacher lyrics :lol:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:07 pm

Randy, I think I've heard about the perils of the early mantles before, but maybe you can refresh my memory. Some sort of radioactive stuff, or just carcinogenic?

Is the danger just during the initial burn in and first light off or two, or all the time when burning?

Forgot to look at the date stamp before, it's 11 79 so a couple few years newer than dad's. Best I can recall the original Poet Creek trips were in '76 & '77, and it wasn't new then. The propane one was newer than the gas one, too, so I guess I still haven't figured out what model it was. Mom used to keep ring binder photo albums and the one(s) from those trips are missing from there place(s) so...

Did I mention that I regret letting dad's lanterns go? Doh. :(

Brought in a dozen dough nuts for the guys at work (I'm sort of the lead guy in my department on Fridays, so I like to do that every once in a while anyways...company used to bring in dough nuts every week, but with insurance rates rising they stopped that in the name of promoting healthier living, switched to fruit). They were appreciated and Larry was happy. He's such a nice guy that he goes out of his way to do things that he knows will make people happy.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:43 pm

Did you know that today is National Dough nut day? Really it is.

The older mantels, and many if not most or all from outside USA use thorium as one of the metals in it. Thorium is slightly radioactive and it is being promoted as a safe metal to use in reactors for producing power. From some of the literature I have read the promoters say it is safe, clean and cheaper. I think I will now play one of my favorite Who songs "Won't get fooled again". At least if we are still around after the Spent Fuel Pools at Fukushima Daiichi go dry or collapse, some nasty stuff.

Back to mantels. From what I have read people recommend to not breath in the fumes from the burn in and for the first 1/2 hours or so. I figure I am old enough I don't have much to worry about.

:lol:

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby campmaster-k » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:03 am

Thorium hmmm :thinking: so thats why I have this third arm growing out of my back! It has been much easier to scratch my back so I did not go to the doctor. Its also a great lantern holder. Your results may vary.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby Joamon » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:53 pm

Kirk wrote
campmaster-k wrote:Thorium hmmm :thinking: so thats why I have this third arm growing out of my back! It has been much easier to scratch my back so I did not go to the doctor. Its also a great lantern holder. Your results may vary.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keith
Joamon
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment