Blood,Sweat & Teardrops...

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Blood,Sweat & Teardrops...

Postby bigblockbarry » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:15 pm

This is all new to me so there might be a few twists and turns. I bought a set of "plans" off the internet,more like a rough guideline but I made do.I drew up my own plans for the frame.
Got out one of the few tools that survived the flood of 2010 and started in.
bigblockbarry
Donating Member

Re: Blood,Sweat & Teardrops...

Postby bigblockbarry » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:26 pm

I spent 3 nights after work welding up all the joints and checking to see if it was still square. I got within a 1/16th of an inch,not bad for an engine builder's first try. I bought a quart of implement and tractor paint at TSC and covered everything. So far,60' of 2x2 mild steel,2 bottles of argon,a spool and a half of wire and all the assorted axle parts and wheels.Pulls straight as a string like this.
I pulled it out to my Parent's house ( Dad has a garage full of wood tools) and we started on the floor.
bigblockbarry
Donating Member

Postby bigblockbarry » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:34 pm

I had to leave a 3/4 inch ledge for my plywood to account for my frame width error.I'll know next time right? Bought 4 sheets of real nice 3/4 birch plywood from the local lumberyard,the stuff at "the blue store" just didn't look that good and was only 5 or 6 ply,what I bought was 11 ply. We cut out the sides and ripped one sheet to make the roof spars.You guys were right,those turned out super strong.
I made mistake #2 here,I stained the inside with the same cherry stain I used on my kitchen cabinets.Its pretty but dark.
bigblockbarry
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:39 pm

I sure hope these weren't the plans you bought.

:lol:

Looking very good so far. When did you start?
parnold
Donating Member

Postby bigblockbarry » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:57 pm

I started the first weekend of Feb and thought I would be finished by now.Teardrop time and actual time are on two different planes I'm finding. Part of my problem is having to replace the tools I lost. You can see the water line on the garage wall from the flood,almost every power tool that was under that line got junked out.I was more worried about my house than the garage at the time.But on the bright side,my welder and air compressor still work,and my belongings are a little more "streamlined" now.
bigblockbarry
Donating Member

Postby bigblockbarry » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:07 pm

I'm no world class cook so when it came time to work on the galley I went with "simple is good". Put in a countertop and the bulkhead walls,trimmed with some aluminum angle and some checkered flooring. Us old racing guys have to have our checkers.
Here was the biggest challenge up to this point.The dreaded hatch. I just could not get my head around what the specific size was supposed to be. I posted in the tips section and you guys bailed me out. Thanks for the pictures Gage!
bigblockbarry
Donating Member

Postby bigblockbarry » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:22 pm

I spent the better part of a week looking at everyones interior pictures to decide what to do on the inside.I have neither the skills or the patience to build cabinets like I see here.I wish I had some of Woodbutchers woodworking know how.You need a killer set of 911 Porsche heads built I'm your man but wood not so much.I'm also getting closer to the blood part mentioned in the title,just a little warning for the squeamish out there. I laid out just a basic set up,two doors and left the center open to get to the power converter.I'll find some kind of tv or something to go in there later.
bigblockbarry
Donating Member

Postby indycamper » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:46 pm

Looking good! I know what you mean about the flood. I live in a flood plain, and have had to deal with water in the garage many times. NOT my favorite way to spend the afternoon! Looking forward (I think) to your "bloody" continuation of the story!
Sharon

I really need to re-retire one of these days.
indycamper
Teardrop Master

Postby bigblockbarry » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:04 pm

I was going to keep this until later in the build but I'm afraid I'll get everything out of order. This has been kind of a Father/Son project of sorts.My Dad has really enjoyed the cabin building part of this.Our deal is we go to breakfast early,then hit the garage until noon,eat lunch,make the parts run while we are in town,then work til 4 or 5.We do this every Saturday.I work on it on Sunday but he doesn't.That's the way it is supposed to work anyway.When we started on the cabinet doors I screwed up a couple and got frustrated.I told him lets wait til next Saturday and he agreed.About the middle of the week I'm at work and get a call about 1 or so,its Mom,they are at the ER.Seems Dad got tired of waiting on me and decided to build the doors himself.In the process he ran the first three fingers on his left hand through the table saw.He just got the ends of them and the Dr was able to sew them back on.He's fine now,just a little tender.This was the side facing the saw.
And this was the following Saturday.He was right back out there doing what he could with one hand.He bumped it a couple times and sucked all the air out of the garage but for a 75 year old man he's tough as nails.I'm proud to say he's my Dad.
bigblockbarry
Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:53 am

Sounds like you have an amazing dad. Your comments were well timed, a nice Father's Day tribute.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby 225 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:39 am

Looks great. But I do have a question.

You used Argon on a MIG welder? Never heard of it. Thought you used Co2?
Teardrop Master

Postby CarlLaFong » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:17 am

MIG mix is 80% Argon 20% CO2. Pure argon is for aluminum. Pure CO2 works pretty well, but the arc is less steady and there is more spatter. CO2 is much cheaper. Guess which one I use :thinking:
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
"As I wandered, alone, through the endless fields of corn, I could hear the crows. They seemed to mock me, calling out my name, over and over", said Cawe
CarlLaFong
500 Club

Postby Forrest747 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:24 am

parnold wrote:I sure hope these weren't the plans you bought.
:lol:

Looking very good so far. When did you start?

Of course not he got the upgrade. those normal ones come on table napkins
"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby bigblockbarry » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:23 pm

I use a 75/25 mix,it works great on mild steel.I buy it through the shop and get a deal on the small bottles.I'm taking it you guys like my frame "blueprint"? Did you notice that the 34 A/C was for axle centerline? Lots of planning there. :thumbsup:
bigblockbarry
Donating Member

Postby bigblockbarry » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:36 pm

On to the hatch! I made a boo-boo here but I don't know where.We test fit and test fit.Tried the hinge 2 or 3 different ways and it fit just right.
I looked right so we went on with our business.Picked up some hardware from Frank Bear but didn't use it due to the way we built the framework. Put the hardboard skin on and everything still fit great.
But somewhere between glueing everything together and clamping it until it dried the radius straighten itself out to a certain extent.On to plan B again,I can live with it.
bigblockbarry
Donating Member

Next

Return to Build Journals