The 2+2 High Modified

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The 2+2 High Modified

Postby Fishingtomatoseed » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:21 pm

So this Saturday morning started out with the galley hatch. After fitting about 10 times finally had it looking good. The PL came out and here is the hatch all glued up.

After leaving the new plywood bent and strapped all week this is how much it was formed. It helped in the install.

So I let that dry till Sunday morning. I ordered a little extra of the plastic hinge so I cut up some of it to use as temp. hinges. They are only 4" long on each side.

I was really nervous about trying the door since I was having trouble with it. But to my surprise it work great. Putting the skin on while the hatch is in place is the way to go for me.

For the rest of Saturday I worked on the side door. I had glued up some of the leftover 1/4" plywood and cut to shape. Took that and fit to the opening that I had. Then took the door and made a templet to allow me to cut the rabbit around the door frame for the seals.

At the end of the day I scraped the idea of the glued up ply. Just did not like the way it was looking. Get to thick and heavy. So in the end I just used some 1/2" ply with oak as stiffeners. Came out nice and I like it better.

Sunday started out with the hatch opening well so moved on to bondo the nail holes on the sides. Just as I was starting that some friends came over. Lucky for them I had extra tools that they could use. One got a sander and the other a paint roller.

Had a good weekend got a lot done. This is what we ended up with.

Fishingtomatoseed
Donating Member

Postby danlott » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:03 pm

It is starting to look very good.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:40 pm

Making good progress...... :thumbsup: :applause:
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

The 2+2 High Modified

Postby Fishingtomatoseed » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:33 pm

danlott wrote:It is starting to look very good.

Dan

Thank you Dan

Wolfgang92025 wrote:Making good progress...... :thumbsup: :applause:

Thank you Wolfgang

This past week and weekend has been a busy one. We had my birthday, my daughter's birthday her soccer party and the every day stuff. Trying to get ready to go on vacation in a week and a half. Hence the hurry on the trailer.

For the electrical I went with a 30 amp service. I felt that it would be big enough. All we have is the 5000 btu a/c at 5 amps, ac/dc converter, and a led driver. Went with a SquareD breaker enclosure with QO breakers. I had some 10/3 SO cord laying around and attached the 30 amp RV plug on. Left about 25' on the cord that was what the average that people was leaving. We put one receptacle in the galley and 3 in the cabin.

Had the exterior ready to paint but then started thinking about where the door seals are. I just did not like the way the jamb was protected. So stripped the primer from the jambs and mixed epoxy and wood flour filled all the crooks and crannies up. Sanded down then just a coat of epoxy. By the end of today had it back ready to put the first coat of color on.

We went with the rust-o-leoum marine topside paint. So far like the way it is turning out. Base color will be the bright red. With some gray something's throughout.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339379042.460040.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339379042.460040.jpg (42.07 KiB) Viewed 2350 times

Had the old wheels and tires off today. So I took some steel wool and WD-40 and started taking the rust off. They looking good now.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339379082.878567.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339379082.878567.jpg (65.8 KiB) Viewed 2350 times

Got the inside nearly finished. Painted it out with just some gloss white enamel. Got all the electrical trimmed out.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339379065.864846.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339379065.864846.jpg (26.48 KiB) Viewed 2350 times
Fishingtomatoseed
Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:07 pm

Looks like you had a great work weekend on the tear and it looks great! Happy Birthday to you and your daughter Clint!

Cliff :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

The 2+2 High Modified

Postby Fishingtomatoseed » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:08 pm

CliffinGA wrote:Looks like you had a great work weekend on the tear and it looks great! Happy Birthday to you and your daughter Clint!

Cliff :thumbsup:

Thank you Cliff
Fishingtomatoseed
Donating Member

Postby Fishingtomatoseed » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:44 am

All right I have not posted because of trying to get things ready and leaving on vacation. I have learned a lot about finishing up a teardrop and making it road worthy. I keep looking at things that I need to do and sayin that will only take a couple hours to do....... Wrong!

The painting went well. Wish I would have spent a little more time on the wood before I started painting. You can see all the sanding marks when I used the big sander. Followed the directions on the Rustoleoum paint. Started out with the spar varnish thinned 10%. Then 3 coats of the wood fiberglass primer and 3 coats of red. Have. It put the gray on the sides yet. But we did use it on the fenders and hub caps.

So after the paint I installed the door seal and latch. The door was warped alittle but it is working its why out.

After that installed the repurposed windows. They came out of an older camper that some friends trashed. They are the roll out kind. Seemed to be in good condition. Cleaned them up and took a hammer and a weight and straighten the flange out. Used some butyl tape around and stainless screws.

Next was the a/c in the side. It is a 5,000btu unit. Used aluminum angle across the top and silicon all the around. Also used angle from the back of a/c to the body to hold everything together.

Now comes the roof. I decided to go with ABS sheets. Got 5 4x8x.062 sheets ship to house for a little more than $200.00. It is supper easy to work with. I started out wanting to weld them together but after practicing on some scrap pieces I decide not too. It would bond together good but not enough for me to seal water. So we overlapped it. Also install SS screws with washers along the seams. Looked great but with this 110 degree weather it does oil can. After that the trim went on with the 1" black insert.

Also decided to go with the living hinge. Went on good with the exception of poking a hole through the middle of it with the drill tip. So the wife got me calmed back down and tried welding it up. Surprisingly it turned out pretty good. I am sure it won't last as long because of the build up of extra material in the hinging part. It also got the 1"x1/4" aluminum pice down each side with SS screws.

Armed with new tires we mocked up the battleship grey fenders.

Took the next morning off to go deal with tags. In the county that I live in I know the lady that handles registration. So I went to her asking what needed to be done. Long story short I have a 30 day tag and will be sending everything in to get it titled and have a vin number. So the way they see it that is the correct way to do it.

With the 30 day tag I hooked on to it and took it to work to see how it pulled. It worked great about half way down. Notice that was bouncing bad. Got to work and the springs of the trailer where setting on the frame. While at work gave 3 tours and someone left a note on the windshield asking for information. Drove home slowly as hwy75 would let me. Started thinking that when I put the mounting bracket on the frame that they are not far enough apart. So I was going to make longer shackles. While disassembling the old ones figured out that the holes for both the front eye and the shackle are at the same level. The shackle was doing its job until it swung all the around and was fighting itself. In the process of doing that I cut the end of my thumb nearly off. A friend came over and helped put everything together.

Fishingtomatoseed
Donating Member

Postby Forrest747 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:23 am

:applause: looks great and love the color
"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:43 am

nice build sorry to hear about your thumb hope it healed enough for you to enjoy your vacation love the color you went with
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby crumbruiser » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:35 pm

It looks really good, LOVE the curtain.
Frank
I am not weird, I am a Limited Edition.
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000303236631
crumbruiser
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:42 pm

It looks great. With the blue truck, your combo is red, white, and blue; so, ya just gotta take it somewhere on the 4th of July. It looks super patriotic! :D
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby High Desert » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:20 pm

Congrats on your first trip! Great looking trailer, I really like the gloss finish you got from the rustoleum paint. Did you shoot it or roll it on? Sure looks good.
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

The 2+2 High Modified

Postby Fishingtomatoseed » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:42 am

Thanks everyone for the comments. The color combo was an accident. We didn't notice until we where on the road.

I used a gravity fed gun to spray the paint. Just to say red will show up every where when you spray it.
Fishingtomatoseed
Donating Member

Postby Fishingtomatoseed » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:33 pm

Fishingtomatoseed wrote:
The painting went well. Wish I would have spent a little more time on the wood before I started painting. You can see all the sanding marks when I used the big sander. Followed the directions on the Rustoleoum paint. Started out with the spar varnish thinned 10%. Then 3 coats of the wood fiberglass primer and 3 coats of red. Have. It put the gray on the sides yet. But we did use it on the fenders and hub caps.

Here is an update on the paint on the tear.

This past weekend at the Loyd Park gathering was the first time that it has set in the rain and humidity for an extended time. The wood grain looks like it is swelling up and then cracking the paint. We came home early because of the rain and once home I put it in the shop and let it start drying out. The wood grain started laying back down. But now I feel that the surface is now perforated with cracks. I am pretty disappointed in this as I followed the directions for the topside paint. So now I do not know if I installed it wrong or it is not the right application for the system.

So now the real question...... Strip it down do it again.........Strip it down epoxy then paint.........Strip it down and aluminum..........Or what does eveyone else think?
Fishingtomatoseed
Donating Member

Postby danlott » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:58 pm

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I think the easiest and best thing to do would be to cover it with aluminium. I would not strip the paint.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals