Bicycle canoe/kayak trailer convertible

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Postby Wolfscout » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:48 pm

I'm in the process of building a bicycle cart to carry my canoe or my kayak.
One of the key issues was the ability to be taken apart and stored in my truck or the camper depending on the trip.

I'm off to a good start.
I used the wheel assemblies from my old boat dolly. You can see it's laid out like my drawing.

This is how I did the wheel assembly before. A 11/2" tee cut down to fit and to reduce possible drag in rough terrain.

This is how I've got it assembled so far. 7/1/12 I added another foot for a even 4 foot long so 3" will hang off the rear of my Old Town.

This is a view showing the 3/4 EMT pipe that stays. The half inch pipe that is pinned in will be able to go to the canoe or a short one that will allow me to just use the trailer for shopping and other situations.

I did manage to get it hooked to my bicycle and peddle around the yard today before the storms hit here. I'll do some more images soon.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

2016 8X20 Homestead Patriot CTC
CTC 2

'90 6x12 Wells Cargo Trailer Conversion
my 1st build= CTC 1 FB album history.
Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby T&CLongmire » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:20 pm

Looks great!

I also used PVC to make the cart for my fish and dive. Because of the sand I used a couple of power wheel jeep tires, worked like champ.

Tim
T&CLongmire
Teardrop Builder

Re: Bicycle canoe/kayak trailer convertible

Postby Wolfscout » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:06 am

I had to change my hitch up idea last night. This is what I came up with:
This how my bicycle receiver ( LOL) and the trailer tongue link up. I can also add a hand grip at the end to use as a hand hold to pull the cart wherever and however needed.

too:
A Rear shot of how the trailer sits now attached to the bike. Because we're getting storms and for the next two days here, I can't go riding much like last night and try out the new hitch.

all I got to do now is add some foam cushions for the boat to rest on and come up with something for the long tongue to support it.
Sounds simple enough. Ha.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby kirkman » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:01 pm

Looks great. You might need bigger wheels if you plan on towing on anything other that pavement. :thinking:
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wolfscout » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:08 am

I've been pulling it around the yard with and without the bicycle loaded with canoe. Wheels have done ok. but the length of the legs are a bit wobbly so I'm going to Lowe's and pick up a few pieces and add them on... tomorrow. LOL
More pics soon.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby Treeview » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:46 pm

I'm skeptical about the life of the trailer.

Larger wheels will pull easier

Adding some diagonals or gussets between the vertical axle pieces and the frame will help, front to back and to the middle too.

Why build a frame to tow a canoe?

Use the canoe as the frame. build a hitch that straps to the front of the canoe and then a low slung carrier to go underneath.

This has been done for decades. Look on 'Instructables' and you'll get all sorts of ideas...and, I'm sure, some creative adolescent will have one posted that;s made from duct tape! DT is used in every build on 'ibles!

Tom
Treeview
The 300 Club

Postby Wolfscout » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:24 pm

I had the idea to build the frame because we ride bikes a lot. Often I want a cart to go behind the bike because the racks just won't carry enough supplies on one trip. I can remove the tongue piece by pulling a pin and replace that with another for a short trailer.
I plan to lay wire shelving length wise and then I"ll have more than enough trailer to pull like that.

Yeah I agree... larger tires would be nicer. Those tires came off of a john boat dolly I had. I just reused them since they've been hanging in the barn for years. I may swap them out later for some pneumatic tires with same metal dowel. as I said earlier, I'm going to beef up those legs when I trip to Lowe's tomorrow.

I also plan to rig it up as a shore fishing cart. Being multi-purpose was key in my plans.
I think it'll last a pretty good while. I'm good at taking care of stuff.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby Wolfscout » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:31 pm

this is a video of how it rode before I changed out the bottom of the trailer.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=435793076452960&set=vb.100000668141632&type=2&theater

Revamped how I did the wheels that I have to give them more strength.Image
Maybe later I'll pick up some 1/2 shaft pneumatic wheels. I'll try it out when it's cooled off again... if ever.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby M C Toyer » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:33 pm

Larry -

I like your idea of the extended tongue. I modified my mighty-mite in a smiliar fashion. The end of my tongue curves up and threads through the rope grap loop on the bow to keep it centered. When not in use the carrier body and wheels ride on top of my trailer's tongue box and the detachable tongue is tied with the paddle on my roof rack.

Rather than rely on a strap or straps to hold the canoe to the main body of the carrier I made a loop out of pvc that is smaller than the widest section of the hull. The kayak just slides back until it is tight and can't fall off the carrier or get knocked out of alignment if I hit a rock or stump which was a problem with the straps.

For cushioning and friction I use foam pipe wrap, the kind that comes in 4 foot lengths with a slit and adhesive to bond the edges of the slit after it is on the pvc tube.

I sometimes mount a trolling motor and battery just behind my cockpit which straddle the hull for balance and the carrier with tongue works well for that.

M C
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby Wolfscout » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:27 pm

Yes, I think the idea works with various configurations. I got mine inspired from a you tube video. I should have saved the vid link.
I like the pipe insulation idea. Might think on that in some form too.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby Wolfscout » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:19 am

I'm fixing to buy a kayak that has scupper holes.... so I made this scupper dolly finished up the other day.
the 3/4 PVC fits down into the scupper holes while paddling.. and put them underneath when on land.
Got the idea off of Poor Man's kayak http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnxGU-i_z4&feature=plcp&list=PL3EE7702600328806
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Return to Bicycles