Hand pump sinks.

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Hand pump sinks.

Postby Modstock » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:06 am

I know ive seen a thread on this . Search having brain-fart . :shock:
Lets see your hand-pump sinks.
The woman wants a sink, but dont have much room with the 2 coolers. I'll have to do something about that other cooler.
I have a 4 gall water jug I use for now but I hate it.
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Hand pump sinks.

Postby M C Toyer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:04 am

Not a hand pump but it beats pouring water out of the jug which I assume is what you hate:

The jug with spigot is from Walmart. Because it sits about 18 inches above the sink I added the short length of flex hose to prevent splattering but is not necessary if you set the jug closer to the sink. The sink drains to another plastic jug below the sink.

I used to have portable sink which was basically a 5 gallon plastic jerry can. The sink was a depression on the flat side and the water was within the rest of the can and had a hand pump faucet. It did not have any provision for collecting the waste water.

Another option is to use a pump-up garden sprayer for your water container and the spray end just like the spray hose in a sink. You would only have it pump it up once or twice for every tankful, not every time like a hand pump faucet.

M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby kirkman » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:57 am

Here's mine.
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby H.A. » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:00 pm

I
Last edited by H.A. on Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby kirkman » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:48 pm

H.A. wrote:I dislike handpumps.(I have no pics,) I built my sink using a footpump.
Its only cold water, Anyway,much easier to use leaving my hands free.

This I have to see! :pictures: PLEASE!!!!!!!
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 48Rob » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:33 pm

On one of my trailers, I used a hand pump and placed a 7 gallon blue container under the galley.

Hand pumps (at least the cheap ones) work okay to get a few squirts of water, but after trying to fill a container, wash dishes, wash hands, etc, we soon decided an electric on demand pump is a much easier way to enjoy life...

That said, the 7 gallon container is easier to fill/maintain than an onboard tank that has to be winterized.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby cuyeda » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:57 am

An interesting option!

The Attwood 6144 dual action pump is a hand pump and a faucet all in one. It works when hooked up to a campground or not.

When there is no water pressure to the faucet, just pump by hand to bring water to the sink. When lines are pressurized, the faucet works as a simply valve turning water on or off. Great for trailers without 12V DC power.

1/2" MPT supply fitting.
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby angib » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:02 am

Hmmm, foot pumps. I've used Whale brand foot pumps on boats and they are sooo much better than hand pumps, as (a) you have both hands free and (b) you can get a lot more water through them without excessive effort (and no need to change hands at 100......).

This little one (approriately called the Baby), under 4" diameter works better than most handpumps:

This is the daddy Gusher and it seriously shifts water:

And this oddball Tiptoe may be worth seeing as it is mounted under the floor with just the button sticking out - I can recommend it for a really good stubbed toe:

All of these have two problems:
1) they are boating products, so you need a mortgage to buy them;
2) they work best with the footpedal right at ground level - having to lift you leg up to trailer height is going to make them awful to use.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Oldragbaggers » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:16 am

48Rob wrote:On one of my trailers, I used a hand pump and placed a 7 gallon blue container under the galley.

Hand pumps (at least the cheap ones) work okay to get a few squirts of water, but after trying to fill a container, wash dishes, wash hands, etc, we soon decided an electric on demand pump is a much easier way to enjoy life...

That said, the 7 gallon container is easier to fill/maintain than an onboard tank that has to be winterized.

Rob

That sure is a beautiful galley Rob. I love the clean look of the white (my galley is white also). It just looks so well organized, coordinated and the fit and finish is excellent. Very nice job.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby pappaw » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:43 am

Hey Becky, that is what I was going to say, I agree with you (but please don't tell anyone I agreed with you :rofl: )

Nice job Rob :thinking:

Cheers :beer:
Image Cheers from Granny, Pappaw, and Cocoa (the Dachshund) Image
pappaw
Teardrop Master

Postby Oldragbaggers » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:16 pm

pappaw wrote:Hey Becky, (but please don't tell anyone I agreed with you :rofl: )

Now that will give me something to think (and worry) about. :thinking: :frightened:
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby H.A. » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:40 pm

[
Last edited by H.A. on Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby 48Rob » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:23 pm

Becky,

Thank you, I appreciate your comments!

We built that trailer for a special trip when my son was 16 (10 years ago)
It was done on a budget, thus the paint, but it did work well.
The drawers were built as a unit so they could be removed, and the bulkhead wall was hinged in case the mattress needed to come out.
We sold it to a really nice lady in Michigan who is still using it.

Rob

Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Goatdog » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:17 pm

You might like mine. It is a hand pump (if you pump the handle) and that can be the sole way you install it. I started out that way but added a 12V water pump (which is activated by holding the handle up) and works off city water pressure when a hose is hooked to my CT (by pushing the handle down).

http://tweetys.com/combination-hand-pum ... ofile.aspx

I would buy it again
Goatdog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Modstock » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:11 pm

Thanks guys for the info. I'll start looking more into it this winter when maybe I can get to the unfinished galley. I still have no idea of what to do back there. Guess I'll have to do some more camping .
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets