Usefulness of a "grill pan" in camp"

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Usefulness of a "grill pan" in camp"

Postby Tallbald » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:52 pm

We have a selection of CI fry pans, corn stick pans and a dutch oven with lipped lid. We are going to be cargo trailer campers, so weight is not so much of an issue. I don't see much mention of grill pans here. How are they for other general cooking like frying bacon, burgers, and such? Thanks. Don
Tallbald
Teardrop Builder

Re: Usefulness of a "grill pan" in camp"

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:30 am

Use your D.O. lid it works great.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Mukilteo » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:36 am

I've wondered about the grill pans too.
I all ready have a collection of skillets.
My favorite one is the one it the Smart Brockville, Ontario skillet my mom and dad got as a wedding gift.
But I still want to know how the grill pans work out.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:23 pm

I have a grill pan in my trailer and one at home. I love them, and it offers a quick way to have that steak or burger if I don't feel like firing up the grill. The fat can drain off some, and the grill marks always make a steak taste better, .. right?? :thinking:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:27 am

I have what you call a grill pan 3 of them. Like cooking bacon and eggs on, but be careful with the grease seems to have more grease then that little limp will hold I set a can under the corner to catch it. But love cooking on it
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby parnold » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:12 pm

Just for clarification.

A grill pan has raised sections in it, so it will leave "grill marks" and the fat can fall away from the meat.
A griddle is flat, with a channel around the edge to catch grease.

Grill Pan = Image
Griddle = Image
parnold
Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:01 am

Oh ok I must have 3 griddles and 1 grill pan :thumbsup: that I've yet to use :x . Thank for info Paul :shock: kids think I'm a cast iron junky :lol: :lol: ever time it my b'day or f'day they get me iron :D and ever time I see something I like I'll buy it for myself 8) 8) wifey said don't you have enough yet :oops: :oops: :roll: I just look at her and say nope.
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby parnold » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:15 am

I just picked up a muffin pan in cast iron at a garage sale. $3.00 was too cheap to pass up. I sand blasted it, and soaked it in vinegar for a few hours before oiling it. It will probably never be used. :lol:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby jeporter25 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:43 am

I have a CI grill pan that is a griddle on the other side. It's a little warped but I love it. It fits perfect on a Coleman stove. I got it for 30bucks at an antiques fair and the guy threw in a 8" chicken fryer.
jeporter25
Teardrop Master

Postby Tallbald » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:08 pm

Thank you all for the replies. My wife Penny just recently told me she thinks she has a grill pan store at her parents home from her Girl Scout days! We'll see. Don
Tallbald
Teardrop Builder

Postby jandmz » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:46 pm

My first CI piece was a griddle that we found leaning against the fire ring as we were setting up camp. It is reversible with a flat surface on one side and a ridged surface like a grill pan on the other side. Is there a special name for that? I have just been referring to it as a griddle.
jandmz
Teardrop Master

Postby GerryS » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:03 am

I have one, and I HATE it. It's got deep cavities between the bars, and no matter how long it soaks, or gets scrubbed, there is always a layer of "schmutz" that never comes out. Thats at home where I have a deep sink, unlimited water, various scrapers and even power tools. I can't possibly imagine trying to get that clean with the limit of a quart or so of water (I carry eight gallons...it has to last a couple days)

If I want sear marks, or want the fat to drip off, I can pull out the grill (formerly a smokey joe, recently replaced with a "son of hibachi") and make cleanup a trivial matter....wait, brush/scrape, and wipe.

Now don't take my griddle from me...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:19 am

I have had one for years but can honestly say that I have never used it until the Hoosier gathering a cople weeks ago. I used to bring all sorts of gear to cook with but have learned that a good fire is all one needs.

Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Return to Cast Iron