camping weapon of war for the meal time.

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Re: camping weapon of war for the meal time.

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:46 pm

- Built-in two burner propane stove
- One burner butane portable to use if I run out of propane or want to cook something outside
- Two burner canister propane camp stove that I now leave at home most the time

- Fry pan, small pot, plus a bigger, all purpose pot and a whistling tea kettle.
- The good coffee tears my stomach up; so, I drink the instant stuff most the time. :(

- Camp cooking is usually done as simply as possible.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

camping weapon of war for the meal time.

Postby nevadatear » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:42 am

Propane 2 burner stove (sacrilege, say it ain't so!) however I do have a single burner white gas for back up and heating my water.heater. Large cast iron skillet is the work horse. Also have nesting camping cook pots left over from tent camping and backpack days. Large pot/small stock pot size for corn, spaghetti and boiling dishwater. I don't do it simple for camping. Camp cooking is my favorite time and way to cook so they are usually our best meals all year.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:33 am

My camp cooking is somewhere between simple and complex. I seldom just open a can or two, but don't get as elaborate as Debbie. I have a complete set of aluminum-clad stainless pots and pans that were in my kitchen until I replaced them with newer, nicer pots and pans a few years ago.

I cook on a 2-burner propane stove, but am actually contemplating a white-gas stove for better flame control for making things like rice (propane burner won't go low enough).

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:33 am

Well Slow being I love to cook I carry 7 DO's 2-12'' 2-10'' 2-8'' and 1-6'' and about 2 skillets and a grital about 20''x10'' and sometimes my waffle iron oh ya my home made pizza oven :lol: :lol: Wife says are you really going to use all that and all I can say is maybe :D But she loves that she don't have to do the cooking or cleaning :roll: Then I got to have my dish stand and insta hot and e-z up and chairs and table for all my prepping and I load it all and unload it when we get there. But now with the new trailer i'll be able to keep most of it in the trailer while we camp only cook and clean pots and dishes out side. :beer: :beer:
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby jeff0520 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:56 am

We do all our cooking the old fashoned way, On a grate, over a campfire, in a cast iron. We have 3 skillets, a dutch oven, and a coffee pot, all in cast iron. There's pretty much nothing we can't cook. We also have a 2 burner Coleman white gas stove in case of truly foul weather. I figured out a way to string ropes up in the trees to fly a tarp 20 feet in the air over the fire pit, so the last few years we've only had to break out the stove once.
We were camping on the shore of Lake Guntersville in Alabama this spring. A dry thunderstorm rolled in. It had only a few drops of rain, but with a 70 mph microburst.It was such a blast of air that our big, well developed campfire was blown out like a candle. It flattened all our tents, breaking one to the point that a friend of ours ended up sleeping in her van for the rest of the trip. It pretty much shredded all our canopys and flys. :thumbdown: After we walked around the campground and made sure nobody was hurt, we ended up breaking out the stove to make dinner while we recovered.
Hypno-Toad's Command Post, the build thread! http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50384

jeff0520
The 300 Club

Postby planovet » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:20 am

Propane 2 burner stove :thumbsup:

ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby bdosborn » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:47 am

We love to cook when we're camping, we have a full arsenal of weapons of war:

One of the handier things is the tongue mounted grill. Keeps the greasy grill out of the trailer or the truck.

We've got a 3 burner RV stove inside for coffee and whatever. Sharon, we've gone to Starbucks VIA for our coffee, you should try it as it's an instant but way better than every other instant we've tasted. Its kind of spendy though so we only use it camping.

We usually bring a dutch over or two. Here's the potluck at the last IRG.

Of course you need a full compliment of spices:

Here's my favorite camping meal; a ribeye, homegrown tomatoes and a cold beer. Yum!

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:03 pm

bsosborn wrote:
Sharon, we've gone to Starbucks VIA for our coffee, you should try it as it's an instant but way better than every other instant we've tasted. Its kind of spendy though so we only use it camping.

Thanks, Bruce. I didn't even know they made an instant. I'll look into it. The only instant coffee I've found so far that is decent is Nescafe's Classic.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby honeask » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:12 pm

We use a two burner Coleman 512 I think, several DO, coffee pot for coffee or hot water and a smaller crock pot for some lazy cooking. Also pots pans and skillet. We like to cook.
Sandy

We're not here for a long time, just here for a good time.
The stars at night are big and bright, (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap) DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS.
honeask
Donating Member

Postby campmaster-k » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:57 pm

White gas all the way. I once thought I could get away with just a 425 Coleman but Now I take a bigger 413. I have chucked the cast iron fry pans and and got Calfalon non stick pans. I figure I am camping why suffer. I am still cast iron on my dutch oven so I am not a total defector.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:10 pm

White gas for me. I usually have a 425 Coleman I bought in 1988 and sometimes i take a single burner 500 or 502 with me. A cast iron fry pan I have had for..........heck I don't know, it might be the one I got in college back in 1969 or the one I got at a yard sale back in the 90's. Which ever it has not seen soap in more than 20 years. I have recently gotten a small Revere ware sauce pan and a medium one with a steamer at various estate sales. Also have a tea kettle for morning coffee/hot chocolate and water for washing. When I get up in the morning I am usually pretty early and i put a pot of water on to boil so when others wake up I can offer them some hot water for their coffee/hot chocolate. If they don't have any of course I will share mine. Also often have a fried egg, sometimes with spam or something. For lunch I usually just make me a sandwich. Supper time I will often make me some nodles, those that are like super ramen nodles, yummmy. I keep chop sticks in the TD. Or fry up a potato and onion, or spam and something.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Verna » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:52 pm

OK, I have a confession......my first choice is my microwave.........yes, I know this is almost blasphamy in the camping world :oops: My second choice is a Coleman grill/single burner/griddle that I've had for about 10 years, or even a single burner Coleman. I even take a couple of bottles of propane.

You see, I cook for one, and a small dog, and it's so much easier in a microwave. But, I've done without a microwave during camping for years, so the camping microwave is a new thing for me. I'm sure I'll get used to it though :thumbsup:

What happens if I don't have an electrical hookup? As I said, I'm new to the camping microwave, and I can do with the propane cooking just fine.

By the way, you guys who use the DO's just throughly amaze me with your recipes :shock: You guys are the best!!!! I'll watch, bring ingredients for your creations, and help eat the creations. Just excuse me if I revert back to my electrical back up :wine:
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby planovet » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:11 pm

Verna wrote:OK, I have a confession......my first choice is my microwave.........yes, I know this is almost blasphemy in the camping world

Nothing wrong with that. We have a microwave but don't use it that much. The toaster oven gets much more use, almost as much as the 2 burner stove. :thumbsup:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby Hilldweller » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:25 am

two burner built-in propane stove, ARB 50 quart fridge/freezer, GSI anodized aluminum Dutch oven, Cuisinart nesting stainless steel cookware, little aluminum teapot, cookware tool roll from Piragis outfitter, GSI nesting wine glasses...

I think I put some better cooking pictures in this slideshow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6gOv78BXXs
Safety fast,
Bill

Power Wagon: When only the fastest-depreciating, least reliable, fuel-thirstiest, oversized land yacht will do.
Hilldweller
Teardrop Inspector

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:30 am

verna, i am with you! love my microwave and it now has a spot in the tear. :lol: i really don't use it that much, but on the occassion where you forget to restock the propane and it runs out, and ontop of that you forgot the charcoal, well the microwave is the best. i used to camp all the time without electric. since having the tear and going to gatherings, i have become spoiled by electric. so i bring, the electric skillet, microwave, electric water pot, pressure cooker. non electric, portable grill, dutch oven, cast iron frying pan and 1 pot. that is all i have ever needed. oh and i make sure to always bring the charcoal and propane now.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Next

Return to Camping Secrets