Dutch oven for two??

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Dutch oven for two??

Postby Tallbald » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Just made my first DO meal this evening. 10 inch oven, nice and deep, of a no brand origin. Had to season it this morning, in anticipation of cooking. Whole fresh (as one can get at a grocery store) 5 pound chicken bought on sale at Krogers came home this morning. Smallest they had on sale. Had to wing it( LOL pun intended) because we don't normally keep lemons, fresh shallots, fresh thyme and such things at our house. At age 53 I have never in my life cooked a whole chicken. Removed the giblet bag, rinsed the bird with cold water. Sprayed with canola oil, and salted/peppered liberally inside and out.Sprinkled powdered garlic and cilantro over it, stuffed a quartered onion in the cavity, and poured some broth around it I made from the giblets. Poured in around it too a bag of baby carrots. Fired up the coals (yes, with a chimney) and got things cooking. Don't laugh, but I have to have help lifting the DO to do anything with it because I had back surgery and have a 10 pound lifting limit. I am in a back brace most of the time, and walk with a cane because my right leg sometimes quits. As a last minute thing, I opened a can of biscuits and arranged them around the chicken while I still had hot coals on the top. Either Penny and I or our 4 dogs will eat well tonight, depending on how it turns out.
Folks this is a huge huge meal for two people. Too much really. And with me unable to lift much, it is not as much fun as I think it could be with a smaller oven. But when I look at the Lodge website, or Cabela's or Gander Mountain, Target or Walmart all I see in a smaller version is only 3 or so inches deep. I can't fit a 3 pound bird or a roast in the shallower depth oven. Am I missing a brand I should search out? I must have the lip around the lid so I can be as versatile as necessary. Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Don
Tallbald
Teardrop Builder

Re: Dutch oven for two??

Postby asianflava » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:09 pm

Lodge makes an 8in and 6.5in oven, the 6.5 is really too small. For my wife and I, I use the 8 and 10. They make (or used to) both in a deep and regular.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Tallbald » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:20 pm

Thank you. I looked over their site but do not see an 8 inch deep oven. I guess I missed out :( . Don
Tallbald
Teardrop Builder

Postby asianflava » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:35 pm

asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby jdarkoregon » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:35 am

We have the lodge 8 inch. Most meals it is just a little bit too much, but its right in the ball park

Go for it. I think I got it at cabela's a few years ago, They are harder to find, but a good addition

John & Mona
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby Tallbald » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:17 pm

Thanks to all of you. I was expecting to be able to find a DO about two or three quart size, but deeper than the 3 inches on the Lodge 2 quart. I was thinking I could have trouble cooking a whole chicken due to the depth. Would a small beef roast fit in the 2 quart Lodge DO with a few carrots and potatoes? Thanks. Don
Tallbald
Teardrop Builder

Postby vomadude » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:26 am

I have always thought the 12 inch dutch ovens were too big even for a family. I use the 8 inch from Lodge for solo camping and when my wife comes along. Instead of a whole chicken just throw in a couple of breasts and cut way back on the veggies. I will admit it is fun to load that baby up with food. :R Take recipes for four and cut them in half. Good side is no waste, bad side no leftovers. Enjoy
vomadude
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:39 am

Lodge makes a 10" deep but they do not show them on their website. Someone told me they are made mostly for export. I found mine on Ebay. But a friend got his a couple years ago at Bass Pro.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby honeask » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:22 am

We have a 10" deep Lodge DO also. We found it at a older hardware store in Galveston County. The box was dusty and we really did not need another DO but the price was good. It has come in handy and easier to take camping than the 12" DO. If you come across one, I would get it.
Sandy

We're not here for a long time, just here for a good time.
The stars at night are big and bright, (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap) DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS.
honeask
Donating Member

Postby 8 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:54 pm

When you say "dutch oven for two" this is what I think.

Each bird is about five lbs. This picture was taken after searing in olive oil but before baking (covered of course) at 250 degrees for 80 minutes then turning the oven off and left it in the oven for another 30 minutes. Sprinkled on/around the bird are chopped onions and celery, a sprig of rosemary from the backyard, garlic, bay leaves, and salt and pepper. I sorta followed this recipe. http://www.food.com/recipe/french-chicken-in-a-pot-americas-test-kitchen-349883

Now I'm hungry.
It's not fun and games until someone loses an eye.
Visit my blog ... http://www.64ox.com
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Corwin C » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:23 pm

I cook for two often in a 12 inch DO, and even have used it for just myself. You don't have to fill it up all the time. In fact, a homemade deep crust sourdough pizza from a 12" oven is absolutely perfect for two. Iron plays well with small amounts of food as long as you don't get carried away with the heat. I have quite an assortment of sizes at my disposal (from 6" to 16"), but I find myself using the regular 12" probably 9 out of 10 times.

I'm afraid that I don't have any pictures, but I have used tiny souffle ramekins in the DO to keep individual biscuits/rolls, veggie sides, or even a baked apple separated from a small roast and potatoes for a one-pot multi-course dinner. If you try this, you'll be thankful for the extra space that a 12" provides. Pick recipes that need the similar temperatures and cooking times and experiment. If you could put it in the same oven at home, it will work in a DO.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:06 am

I use a Lodge 8" all the time for the two of us. I find it nearly perfect. If the 8" isn't big enough, there better be neighbors to invite to dinner! :D
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:45 am

If you experiment a bit you will find that your camp oven lid will often fit a favorite skillet for smaller portions.

I have a 10" spider skillet I dearly love to cook in. I place almost all of the heat on the lid and cook from the top down. Leaving only 6-8 of the 20 + brickettes on the bottom.

This breakfast cassarole fed 8 of us !

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby nevadatear » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:21 am

We have an 8 inch and it is great for two. I have cooked a roast in it. For a chicken, you can always cut the chicken to sort of butterfly it and allow it to lay a little flatter in the pot.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Kathy53 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:16 pm

Bob you have convinced me that I want to try your breakfast cassarole. Of course now I will need to find me a small dutch oven. 2 qts sounds about the right size. Ebay here I come.
Kathy53
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Cast Iron