WANTED: 13' Scamp, Casita, Burro, or ultralite

Have a teardrop or a trailer for sale? Need one? Post here...

WANTED: 13' Scamp, Casita, Burro, or ultralite

Postby Delphic Oracle » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:28 pm

camper under $8K. SORRY, NO TEARDROPS. My tow vehicle is a 1.6L Sentra,(auto.) so weight is important. I might consider a cargo trailer conversion, although anything with a chuckwagon is wasted space for me. My primary interest is a nice size bed & storage. Hank @ 702-215-9338. Send pics to: [email protected]
"Most of the things people worry about will never happen".
Delphic Oracle
Teardrop Inspector

Re: WANTED: 13' Scamp, Casita, Burro, or ultralite

Postby GerryS » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:44 am

I hate to be a naysayer, and im sure someone will disagree Probably some guy pulling a flying cloud (airstream) behind his mini cooper.

But A scamp or Other similar unit is going to be a bit of a stretch...by stretch I mean start shopping for a new car.

Even if the weight wasn't a problem and I think it might be, the induced drag will be substantial. You want a trailer to below the capacity of the TV.

You didn't say what year you had, and frankly newer isn't better here....the tow capacity and gross vehicle weight numbers in new cars is very low (thank you big brother)

The sentry specs I found show 1500 lb max, that isn't much, a brand new scamp (before water and options) is going to be near 1200lbs. I wouldnt exceed 70% of that number, thats right ag 1000lb

So, technically you might get away with it....but that's a tight number especially if you want to take any gear with you. I travel light and fast, and I probably catty 150 pounds of gear I clouding water and food. So exceeding GVW is a very real possibility.

If you do this, and personally I wouldnt, be sure to get electric brakes and a Tranny cooler are both critical. also, buy what you need at the camp
Site, and know you are right on the bubble.

Don't discount a teardrop. You can build light, and they are remarkably big inside....and safer too in your case.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Delphic Oracle » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:16 am

GerryS wrote:I hate to be a naysayer, and im sure someone will disagree Probably some guy pulling a flying cloud (airstream) behind his mini cooper.

But A scamp or Other similar unit is going to be a bit of a stretch...by stretch I mean start shopping for a new car.

Even if the weight wasn't a problem and I think it might be, the induced drag will be substantial. You want a trailer to below the capacity of the TV.

You didn't say what year you had, and frankly newer isn't better here....the tow capacity and gross vehicle weight numbers in new cars is very low (thank you big brother)

The sentry specs I found show 1500 lb max, that isn't much, a brand new scamp (before water and options) is going to be near 1200lbs. I wouldnt exceed 70% of that number, thats right ag 1000lb

So, technically you might get away with it....but that's a tight number especially if you want to take any gear with you. I travel light and fast, and I probably catty 150 pounds of gear I clouding water and food. So exceeding GVW is a very real possibility.

If you do this, and personally I wouldnt, be sure to get electric brakes and a Tranny cooler are both critical. also, buy what you need at the camp
Site, and know you are right on the bubble.

Don't discount a teardrop. You can build light, and they are remarkably big inside....and safer too in your case.

Thanks Gerry...you're right on the stick! I checked your figures and they are correct. I had previously checked with Uhaul and their 'online' tech told me the book stated 2000 lb., but advised I get a tranny cooler. His 2K lb. figure , (I discovered), was for the load/pulling capacity of the h-i-t-c-h! Typical blundering by presumably 'informed' personnel who apparently cannot understand what they read? Well, your revelations change my plan to a degree!

BTW Gerry, I had a 2009 4x8 Rascal...pulled it with ease, [ car & rv loaded to max.], but it was too small [and leaky!]. I prefer something I can [almost] stand up in, (I'm 6'1") use for extended periods and will accomodate a 'potty'. I might have to live in the thing for a while. I too "travel light" ...I wouldn't need a kitchen or shower....just a little more room.

Suggestions? I won't part with my Sentra, [bought new in '97], and now has a mere 80K miles.
Delphic Oracle
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GerryS » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:14 am

I worked for a certain
Icing company for a while that installed hitches....they do an awful service to all....I don't have much good to say so I wont

The question is, do you want a new car, a new trailer, or both... :(

Sadly you can't fit a size 14 foot in a size 12 shoe...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Delphic Oracle » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:08 pm

GerryS wrote:I worked for a certain
Icing company for a while that installed hitches....they do an awful service to all....I don't have much good to say so I wont

The question is, do you want a new car, a new trailer, or both... :(

Sadly you can't fit a size 14 foot in a size 12 shoe...

Acerbic wit aside, both....if I could afford them. I thought you might have some "useful" suggestions? :roll: :)
Delphic Oracle
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GerryS » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:55 pm

You can build...there are lots of people here who did... The benroy is freely available, easily modifiable, and will do very nicely. You can build on a 4x8 trailer from harbor freight and a few sheets of good Baltic birch plywood, and hardware that is readily available online....

Where are you from? You might find a gathering to get some great ideas...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Delphic Oracle » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:13 pm

GerryS wrote:You can build...there are lots of people here who did... The benroy is freely available, easily modifiable, and will do very nicely. You can build on a 4x8 trailer from harbor freight and a few sheets of good Baltic birch plywood, and hardware that is readily available online....

Where are you from? You might find a gathering to get some great ideas...

Damn! This gonna be fun. What are you talkin about "build one", when you don'teven know me?

I'M SEVENTY-FIVE (75) AND BARELY ALIVE!!!!! :cry:

Bah! Youse kids taday are...are....plane ingorent. :roll: :? :shock: :lol:
Delphic Oracle
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Delphic Oracle » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:26 pm

Incidentally speaking of a 4x8 trailer Harbour Freight kit; some years ago, it took one old fool and a forgiveably young one 6.5 hours to assemble the #@%&*kit....and YOU ask me to "build" something?!!?
Gimme your address, I'll come and work on your house. :FNP
You're really as funny as people say you are. :twisted: :thumbdown: :?
Delphic Oracle
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Delphic Oracle » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:34 pm

Just kidding Gerry. :) Put that gun away,yeah? :lol: :wine:

Good night Gerry. :applause: 'May da schwartz be mit jew'. :thumbsup:
Delphic Oracle
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GerryS » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:38 pm

Hahaha!! Not to worry! I'm 45, feel like 75 and vaguely remember 35. We probably have a lot in common!

What part of the country are you in? Quite a few show up on eBay, and Craig's list.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Delphic Oracle » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:50 pm

Gerry I am in Las Vegas...only as long as it takes me to croak...or 'sell out'. Whichever comes first is welcome.

As you see, I've no fear of dying. :cry: "I just don't wanna be there when it happens". :worship: :lol: [Woody Allen]

As to what I want [or need] is now in question? :?
Delphic Oracle
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GerryS » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:55 pm

Delphic Oracle wrote:Gerry I am in Las Vegas...only as long as it takes me to croak...or 'sell out'. Whichever comes first is welcome.

As you see, I've no fear of dying. :cry: "I just don't wanna be there when it happens". :worship: :lol: [Woody Allen]

As to what I want [or need] is now in question? :?

In Vegas, knowing what I do, I hope you live there as long as you want :(

Pop-ups aren't bad either...here in Indiana, I think I see more of them than anything else, and some even have heads. That's the one think I wish I could have in mine...I HATE bath houses!
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wimperdink » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:15 am

Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby logman7777 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:22 pm

Maybe a Foamie standup? :thinking:
Coleman Keepers 200A Gang
Green Lantern Corpsmen
High Wide and Handsome Probationary Member
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby Wimperdink » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:05 am

Just realized someone dug up an old thread. Not much left to do here.
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to For Sale/Wanted