Starleen2 build- Texas camper Mod /New windows

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Starleen2 build- Texas camper Mod /New windows

Postby starleen2 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:46 pm

* Well here we go for #6. I’m taking the best features of all previous builds and incorporating them into this one. This build will be wider than the other – extending out to seven feet wide and 11 feet long. It will have a tongue box and a few extra goodies to be revealed later. I’m also trying to be light weight as well – we’ll see in the end how well I did. (BTW – the trailer is rated at 2000 lbs) I’ll be using the 5mm, 1 inch foam, 5mm sandwich construction with fiberglassed seams and polyester resin coated.
*After searching for possible donor trailer (and even considering building one from scratch), I finally settled on this:
It’s a dual jet ski trailer – but it will do just fine. It is wider that what I wanted, but it means that the camper will be about 8 inches wider. I can live with that. This time I will not be building over the wheels meaning extra space in the interior and no wheel wells to build. Gotta do something about the wiring and the color

*Frame was stripped down and wire brushed and cleaned up a bit. I took the tires off and cleaned and inspected the axels. Repacked the bearing with some fresh grease. Replaced the wiring with a new harness along with some temporary tail lights. I also gave it a good paint job – gloss black! Add to that some shimming of the frame to bring everything level. Installed the spare tire holder. I had this laying around since I built my first camper. I couldn’t use it due to the short tongue lengths of the other campers – so I kept it in storage. Finally I can use it! Image

*Time to start putting down the flooring. Bolted around the perimeter of the frame, then used self tapping screws along the spine and joists. Everything is pretty solid – no “bounce” in the floor. We did a tape outline to make sure everything fits. There is about 9 Inches of overhang in the rear to add to the balance of camper.

*Trying something new this time – instead of using paint and aluminum to seal the underside – or the Black goo emulsion – I’m using spray bedliner. I used this on the hood and bed of my truck and it worked as advertised. I also did a test piece to on plywood and wood to see how it would hold up in the Texas seasons. I must admit that they held up pretty good, so here goes. Since it’s in a rattle can – I can do touch ups easily if needed. I chose to wait until everything was glued, screwed down, caulked all the seams before giving a good coating.

*Package arrived from ebay today – this is something new . We’re going to install an access panel on the passenger’s side to allow access to under the bed storage from the outside. Usually we just put all of the big set up stuff under the bed and then unload it from the inside when we get to a campsite. No longer – we can unload it to the outside without having to bend over and unload it from inside.

* Mrs Starleen wanted something different for the exterior lights instead of the usual round one that we’ve used on other builds. This is what she came home with

*On this build, the floor and the wall are flush with two sides of the frame. I drilled anchor bolts down through the bottom plate, the floor, and frame using adhesive along the joint. When the frame curves away from the sides, I am then able to screw from underneath to finish the wall sections. Added nylock nuts to prevent loosing of bolts. A bit of sanding on the floor to level out the seams and turn attention to framing of the walls.

Much easier to drill holes and install the wiring for the trailer lights BEFORE building the wall. Time to get out the scales and give it a preliminary weigh in to see how things are going weight wise. Left tire = 220 Right tire= 170 tongue = 160 total = 550 lbs so far

Time to start on the walls. I picked up a Kreg Jr. Pocket Hole Jig System to help attach the framing. This time I’m going a bit thicker with the walls – a full I inch so I can take advantage of 1 inch foam insulation. Texas heat is brutal
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Re: starleen2 #6 build TTT - no name yet

Postby finleycraft » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:27 pm

Gonna be nice! :thumbsup:
finleycraft
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:49 pm

I will be following this, have you come up with a theme?
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:55 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:I will be following this, have you come up with a theme?

not yet - there are some ideas in the making - but to be revealed later. Mrs Starleen has been bugging me with ideas :roll: - Beelieve me she's sweet as honey. ;) Once the basic framing is done - I'm sure the Mrs. will have a firm idea on a theme.

Spent most of the day cutting the framing members. As you can see I got em’ all organized into bundles with the pocket holes drilled
Aslo framed up two window frames for the windows.
These are the windows that I got last year at the Crossroads of America meet. When I got them, Mrs Starleen just knew another build was in the works.
I still need to cut the radius for the corners, but that will have to wait until another day – three fans in the garage really doesn’t do much when it’s 100+ degrees outside
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Re: starleen2 #6 build TTT - no name yet update 8-2

Postby aggie79 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:56 pm

Scot - you're going to have to move along a little faster. Loyd Park and LCG are fast approaching! But seriously, watch this heat - it's brutal.

Take care, Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby High Desert » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:27 pm

Looks like it's starting to roll Scott. Watching with interest as always :thumbsup:

Mrs Starleen has been bugging me with ideas :roll: - Beelieve me she's sweet as honey ;)

sounds like she is all a buzz, so to speak :lol:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:19 pm

Ripped some more 2X4’s to 1” stock for the side walls. Picked up the exterior ply and framed the rear wall and two side walls. I’m using Titebond II to glue the studs to the wall then attaching with ½” staples.
Studs are secured with glue and pocket screws to the base.
I hope to have the three back panels finished with the window cutouts tomorrow
I cut out the radius’ around the window and glued them in. When everything is set – and adhesives are dried – I’ll give it a good sanding to smooth the sides and close any gaps.

aggie79 wrote:Scot - you're going to have to move along a little faster. Loyd Park and LCG are fast approaching! But seriously, watch this heat - it's brutal.

Take care, Tom

Gotcha Covered on that one :D After a day out in the garage it’s good to finally cool off! 8)
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Re: starleen2 #6 build TTT - no name yet update 8-3

Postby Loader » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:34 pm

Looks like you are making some great progress Scott! Should be plenty of room for the 3 of you.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Loader wrote:Looks like you are making some great progress Scott! Should be plenty of room for the 3 of you.

Thanks for the kind comment Loader - This build will be the largest that I have ever done - I find it hard to imagine the very first build that measured 5 ft wide by 7 ft long.
We must have been a real close family back then :thinking: However, little girls grow up, thin dads get larger around the waist, and mom, well she stayed just about the same - so I guess you say we just squeezed her! :frightened: Everything will have it's own place instead of being packed away :eyebrows:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby planovet » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:57 am

Looking good Scott :thumbsup:

If you keep getting bigger with each build, we will have to eventually disown you :lol:

BTW, I beelieve I have an idea of what your theme might bee :thinking:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby TheHighlander » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:41 pm

Say Scott I like it .I see you got a Boat trailer to build on this time .I like this design too.

Scott & Gerri
142368 Scott & Gerri 's Classic RV
1969 Shasta Airflyte
TheHighlander
Teardrop Master

Postby starleen2 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:34 pm

Time to do some more framing
As you can see I installed the window framing and routed out the opening
Installed the lower access hatch – this is just for fit only – I will be removed for painting later
Rear corner – this is how everything is measured and “squared”. I know the rear corners are plumb and square.
My helper
A shot from the front
Trying to figure out the measurements – sure am glad I paid attention to fractions in high school.
Wall studs 1 ½” X 1” X 57 1/2”
More framing
Getting any ideas about how high this is gonna be?
Measuring for the door
Measuring for the blockers
Closeup of framing details
Getting a layout for the placement of the air conditioner cutout.
You can see the top laminations that make the curve
More pocket holes!
The line at the top represents the total height of the camper. The ledge is where the ceiling ply will attach.
Most of the framing is done. Time to finish the exterior skinning. To answer a Question some of you may have: Yes it will fit out the garage opening. The garage floor slopes to the door. The highest point is at the rear panel and over the door. That is the finished height. It clears with about an inch to spare as it sits. I sure with a little more weight it may lower about 1/2 to one inch more.
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Re: starleen2 #6 build TTT - no name yet update 8-10

Postby finleycraft » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:23 pm

Very nice indeed! :thumbsup:
finleycraft
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aggie79 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:47 am

Looking good Scott! She's almost campable.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:24 am

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Next

Return to Build Journals