CHILES RELLENOS CASSEROLE

1 CUP MILK
1 CUP CREAM
4 EGGS
2/3 CUP FLOUR
24 OZ. CAN WHOLE GREEN CHILES
1 LB. MONTERY JACK CHEESE - GRATED
1 LB. SHARP CHEDDAR CHEESE - GRATED
16 OZ. CAN OF TOMATO SAUCE OR ENCHALADA SAUCE (MILD OR HOT YOUR CHOICE)

BEAT MILK, CREAM, EGGS AND FLOUR TILL SMOOTH.
SPLIT CHILES, RINSE OUT SEEDS AND DRAIN ON PAPER TOWEL.

MIX CHEESES, RESERVE CUP FOR TOPPING.
MAKE ALTERNATE LAYERS OF REMAINING CHEESE, CHILES
AND EGG MIXTURE IN 9X12 CAKE PAN.
POUR TOMATO OR ENCHALADA SAUCE OVER TOP AND
SPRINKLE RESERVED CHEESE ON.

BAKE 350" UNTIL COOKED IN CENTER.

(Not yelling the recipe out just how I had added it to my files)
Kathy53
The 300 Club

Re: CHILES RELLENOS CASSEROLE

Postby the other side » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Sounds good! On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the hottest)... how hot is it?
the other side
The 300 Club

Postby eamarquardt » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:28 pm

I love green chilies. I'm tired of getting screwed buying them in cans that sometimes have three, four, or five chilies in them. They are 25 cents each at the local produce store but must be roasted and skinned. I tried roasting them in the oven and over a burner without consistent results. Sooooooooo, I got out my propane torch. I put the chili on a fork and roasted it with the torch until the skin is black and blistered. The propane torch gives you precise control and you can go over an area till it is perfectly charred and blistered. Once the chili is blackened and blistered the skin scrapes right off with a sharp edge. It looks like you've burned the crap out of the chili but once you scrape the skin off the chili is beautiful.

Works for me.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby eamarquardt » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:28 pm

I love green chilies. I'm tired of getting screwed buying them in cans that sometimes have three, four, or five chilies in them. They are 25 cents each at the local produce store but must be roasted and skinned. I tried roasting them in the oven and over a burner without consistent results. Sooooooooo, I got out my propane torch. I put the chili on a fork and roasted it with the torch until the skin is black and blistered. The propane torch gives you precise control and you can go over an area till it is perfectly charred and blistered. Once the chili is blackened and blistered the skin scrapes right off with a sharp edge. It looks like you've burned the crap out of the chili but once you scrape the skin off the chili is beautiful.

Works for me.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby the other side » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:34 pm

Yeah, sounds about right! I wonder if you can do them over a campfire? I can't see why that wouldn't work. I don't really like ANY food that comes in a can. For some reason I can always taste the can. My family can't, but I can... YUCK! Plus, fresh would be easier to travel with (you know, cans weigh more).

When you are burning and blistering them does the pepper of the chili go airborne and burn peoples eyes, nose and throat? Wouldn't wanna try it on the campfire and ruin everyones evening!!!
the other side
The 300 Club

Postby eamarquardt » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:25 pm

the other side wrote:Yeah, sounds about right! I wonder if you can do them over a campfire? I can't see why that wouldn't work. Certainly possible but a campfire doesn't give you the precise heat control that a propane torch does. I don't really like ANY food that comes in a can. For some reason I can always taste the can. My family can't, but I can... YUCK! Have you ever tried "Canned Wheat" packed by the "Guess Who"? I always like that. Plus, fresh would be easier to travel with (you know, cans weigh more). Can't argue with that.

When you are burning and blistering them does the pepper of the chili go airborne and burn peoples eyes, nose and throat? Wouldn't wanna try it on the campfire and ruin everyones evening!!! I haven't noticed a problem to date.

It's all about precise control of the roasting. I am a founding member, president, CEO, CFO, and HMFIC of the Propane Chile Roaster's Society of America and we (meaning I) have determined that a propane torch gives optimum control and results. An Oxygen/Acetylene flame (using a rosebud tip) was far too hot. A match far too cold. The typical homeowners' propane torch was "Poifect" (as Curly Joe a pasted away member of the PCRSOA would say). When roasting a chili with the torch, it does make a sound reminiscent of Snap, Crackle, and Pop of breakfast cereal fame. Not entirely unpleasant. Try it, you'll like it.

Cheers,

Gus
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby the other side » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:37 pm

I most definately will try the torch!!! If it's good enough for the "statue" it's good enough for me!!!

I have not tried canned wheat. I wouldn't even know what to do with it if you handed me a can of it! Is it like a cereal or what?
the other side
The 300 Club

Postby pmowers » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:46 pm

If you put the charred peppers in a plastic bag for a little while right after charring, you can just rub them with a towel and all of the skin comes right off. The steam softens up the space between the skin and the "meat" of the pepper. The same thing works for tomatoes.

@Kathy53, where do you find chilis in a 24 oz can? All I can find around here are the little cans with maybe 3 chilis in them. When I go to a mexican grocery, they just have a blank look on their faces when I ask for canned chilis.

Pat
Last edited by pmowers on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Build log:http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51193
pmowers
Donating Member

Postby the other side » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:06 pm

For a little while, you mean like till they cool off?
the other side
The 300 Club

Postby pmowers » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:01 pm

Yes, the bag should get all steamy inside-maybe 5-10 minutes.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Build log:http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51193
pmowers
Donating Member

Postby the other side » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:50 pm

Cool! (or should I say HOT) Either way, thanks for the hint.
the other side
The 300 Club

Postby eamarquardt » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:17 pm

pmowers wrote:If you put the charred peppers in a plastic bag for a little while right after charring, you can just rub them with a towel and all of the skin comes right off. The steam softens up the space between the skin and the "meat" of the pepper.

Fergot to mention the plastic bag trick. She's right.

Cheers,

Gus
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1