We survived our 1st 24 hour race.

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

We survived our 1st 24 hour race.

Postby Fenlason » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:43 am

We are back from the 24 Hours of Great Glen. What a fun event. Some time ago, I had NO interest in doing something of this nature. Last year we got talked into going, to watch, and to help out in the pits. Well that is all it took. We were hooked. I of course was still unsure of surviving for 24 hours, but I was willing to give it a try. Being this was our first time, my wife and I thought we would get our feet wet, by entering as a co-ed pair. We were sharing camping facilities and pit areas with some friends that were racing solo. The organizers of the race, had a problem with us staying at the same place as our friends, thinking we might have an advantage over the other teams [vs solo racers] The teams camp in one area.. and the solo people have a spot on the side of the course. The easy way to solve it, was to change our registration. So we Laurie and I both ended up racing solo.

We had lots of rain right before the race, and on and off during the race, so the conditions were pretty horrible at times. There were 159 teams in the race, anything from 1 person team.. up to 5... but that is a lot of bikes on the course.. and in all the rain, it got muddy.. very muddy. Because of this the course changed every lap. They also had a crew out on the course most of the race, trying to fix things.

Some people race it for fun.. some just to challenge themselves.. some out to win. It can be a very competitive event. As an example after 24 hours of racing the first two teams finished 19 seconds apart. :shock:

In my class [solo over 50 ]there were 5 of us. I was of course racing against all the other solo racers [of all ages]... and really everyone else. Obviously the faster 5 person teams fly.. if each of their riders only ride a lap in every 5.. they are pretty fresh compared to someone who rides the whole time. Typically I have a hard time with someone passing me. Even out on a road ride.. if someone passes me.. or even if I spot another cyclist up the road.. I can't help but try and catch them. Well in a race like this.. you get over that pretty quickly :lol: I knew right from the start I needed to control that... for quite a few hours though that impulse was still there.

This race starts with a Leman's start, with us doing some running before we jump on the bikes. It is their attempt at spreading us out some. At my last race I took off way too hard, this one was better. I did start a little fast, but not bad. There was some bottle necks in some of the single track area's and one had to walk some. I felt a little jittery and sloppy during that first lap.. not bad, but hoped I would feel better later on. My second lap felt good. It was only a few seconds slower than the first lap [although the first lap included the run] I felt more settled and rode more comfortably.

In my class it quickly came down to 3 of us. Bruce who I had met last year, a real nice guy who drove up from Va. The other was another Glen.. I did not know him.. and never saw him for much of the race, but the 3 of us were all very close. We each switched the lead through out the race. Even after 11 hours of racing Bruce only had a minute lead over me.

Parts of the course had improved during the race... with the milage on it, some areas got worse. Then sometime during the night it started to rain again, and everything got slippery again. In some places it was unrideable.. you had to slog along on foot in mud up to knee deep.
My 8th lap I had slowed a bit. I was getting nauseous and was getting sloppier in my handling. I was having a harder time riding some of the narrow bridges.. and my left knee started bothering me. I don't remember a lot about that lap. I do remember before the race understanding there would be times when you felt really really good.. and others when you felt really really bad. One is not supposed to judge them.. and just keep riding, and it would pass. I don't remember really suffering a lot mentally, but I also remember after 11:00 hours being unsure if I could go on.. or more like.. if I wanted to go on. I was not ready to call it quits.. yet.. but I was not sure. I figured I would try to go to bed, and see how things looked in the morning.

I slept off an on for about an hour. I got up and went to our trailer in the pits [we had a bed there also] I tried sleeping and could not. I walked to the timing tent.. and to one of my competitor's tents. He had a hired pit guy [another great guy I had met the year before.] I don't know if it was his intent, but he finally "shamed" me into getting back out there.

At about 4:00 am I slowly started getting ready, and by 4:35 I was back on the course. It was a pretty slow lap.. but I was moving forward. The other Glen had gotten sick before me.. and Bruce and I were looking at maybe getting an "easy" first and second place. But then Glen got up.. got back on the course and was riding hard [That Bass turd] :x :lol: I had about an hour ahead of him by that point.. but the way he was riding I would need to work. I got myself back together and got back out there. My next lap was a little faster, although perhaps physically I was at my worst. I had dry heaves through out this lap. I knew that was not good. I was pretty sure I could get back in without help, but I was unsure if going further without adding hydration was prudent. Back at the pits, I sat a bit, tried to drink.. had a coke.. and some ginger. Glen was still at it.. so that meant in order to hold my place I needed to go again. This went on for 2 more laps... except for the dry heaves. Considering it all.. I felt relatively strong. I had 2 good strong laps. By then Glen was broken. In this time we were so focused on him, we did not notice I was catching Bruce. By the time we realized, it was too late, we did not have enough time left. I do not know how much he had left either.. he perhaps could have just kept going, holding me at bay.

So Bruce got first, I got second and Glen got third. I completed 107 miles [ I had hoped for a bit more] but considering the conditions not bad. This course is monster hilly. In that 107 miles I did just under 16000 feet of climbing.

It was so weird to have everyone so friendly and supportive of each other, while also trying to kick each other's a$$.

I learned a lot from this race.. and hope to come back next year.. stronger, and better prepared.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Re: We survived our 1st 24 hour race.

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:42 am

:D Good for you, Glenn! Keep it up and you'll Ace 2013!! 8)
Joanie
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:23 pm

How's the mind and body now Glenn, 24 hrs. later??? :FNP Oh, what a difference 24 hrs. can be! Take care as I can never seem to get on the DT anymore I don't always get to keep up with adventures anymore of my fellow
TKers.
TDN :pinktear:
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby Fenlason » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:08 am

The Teardrop Nanny wrote::D Good for you, Glenn! Keep it up and you'll Ace 2013!! 8)
Joanie

Thanks.. :D

While I hope to do better.. or to perform better.. the win is always questionable.. this race can draw people from all over.... who knows, who can show up. :shrug:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:10 am

The Teardrop Nanny wrote:How's the mind and body now Glenn, 24 hrs. later??? :FNP Oh, what a difference 24 hrs. can be! Take care as I can never seem to get on the DT anymore I don't always get to keep up with adventures anymore of my fellow
TKers.
TDN :pinktear:

yeah.. the thread killer thread is pretty dead... I am good... still a little tired.. sleep has been so so.. and we traveled to another race this last weekend.. we have been kind of on the go...

take care yourself... :)
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:48 am

Thanks, Glenn.
Dean, and I " helpted ", cooked 16 racks of lamb ribs at the County Fair yesterday. He used his big smoker with hickory chips and the ribs we glazed with raspberry chipotle sauce. As he said, 6 hours prep time, 1 hour for the ribs to be consumed by the masses.

On the go, Dean and I too. I am still enjoying my summer vacation which includes camping out in the teardrop, which I CAN mention on this thread of yours. :)

See ya again, on the web/forums. Keep on pumping those pedals. :thumbsup:
Joanie
TDN
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby Fenlason » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:28 am

The Teardrop Nanny wrote:Thanks, Glenn.
Dean, and I " helpted ", cooked 16 racks of lamb ribs at the County Fair yesterday. He used his big smoker with hickory chips and the ribs we glazed with raspberry chipotle sauce. As he said, 6 hours prep time, 1 hour for the ribs to be consumed by the masses.

On the go, Dean and I too. I am still enjoying my summer vacation which includes camping out in the teardrop, which I CAN mention on this thread of yours. :)

See ya again, on the web/forums. Keep on pumping those pedals. :thumbsup:
Joanie
TDN

yum.. while not as good... at least I had a plate of food in front of me while reading that. :D

yes you may mention tear drops... :lol: and while it is not a teardrop.. I do have a trailer now.. finally... I am doing a cargo trailer conversion... for these races...
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Return to Bicycles