Indoor or Outdoor Tankless Water Heater

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Re: Indoor or Outdoor Tankless Water Heater

Postby StandUpGuy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:44 pm

Thqat is very interesting stuff. Thanks for the post. :thumbsup:
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:38 pm

If one wanted to make up a tank, 110V cartridge elements are available from McMaster-Carr pretty cheap (<$30). I was looking at them to replace the DC element in my fridge. I'd think a couple hundred watts ought to strike a balance between power draw and the convenience of having hot water on tap.

One caveat about using heat exchangers and coolant: ethylene glycol is a toxin that builds up in the blood. A small exposure (like from a pinhole leak in a heat exchanger) over a long period of time is as much a potential hazard as downing a warm mug of the stuff.
Double-walled heat exchangers are available and so is non-toxic coolant (propylene glycol).
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Re: INDOOR Tankless Water heater

Postby StandUpGuy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:10 pm

2bits wrote:
StandUpGuy wrote:
I just ordered this unit. 4 gal. mini tank. $130 plus $24 for shipping.

Let us know how it works out! :thumbsup:

Well it is a several month delay from ordering my 4 gallon min tank water heater and being to the point to post some feedback, but here it is. I filled the tank and fired it up. It was cranking out hot water in 45 minutes. The water was almost too hot to hold your finger under the kitchen faucet. I do not have the shower all ready to go yet but I did a test on the kitchen sink. I ran hot shower temp water so that was hot and cold together for a decent hot shower temperature. I was able to run it for over 3 minutes before I lost hot. So I think with an on off button on the shower head and reducing the temperature a little, I think it is possible to have a decent shower. So this is with the 4 gal mini so I suppose the 6 gal would be very good. Note also I did not have the temp gauge set to the absolute max temp either. I had it set at 125 degrees which was marked so I am guessing that is considered safe or normal temp.. So I am impressed with the temperature the water delivery and the recovery speed of the unit.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Photoman33770 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:00 pm

Just some input ( a bit late )
I lived in my RV for 12 years and 10 of that was with a 5 gal propane water heater. With the standard RV water saver head I never ran out of hot water and never had to use the save water shut off button. It died and I replaced it with a 10 gal electric.
recently I was reading on tankless and the cheaper ones when I read the reviews had a tendency to blow out in a breeze. But for a teardrop application I am sure it would work fine. Most are set to give 6 gallons a minute so running out should not be an issue.
Photoman33770
Teardrop Builder

Postby 2bits » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:27 pm

Yeah, I am sold on the tankless options now that I know you can pipe the water into a shower inside the camper. Not sure why I thought otherwise, but this is the way I am goin!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby synaps3 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:33 pm

I ordered this from Amazon for my TTT: http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GL6-6-Gallo ... n+6+gallon

I haven't plumbed it in yet, but will this weekend and will report results back. :)
-- Dave

Build log: here
synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby StandUpGuy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:45 pm

synaps3 wrote:I ordered this from Amazon for my TTT: http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GL6-6-Gallo ... n+6+gallon

I haven't plumbed it in yet, but will this weekend and will report results back. :)

I am happy with my litle 4 gallon unit. Your 6 gallon should be great. My guess is that in a shower which I believe you are going to have in your trailer, you can expect to get about a 5 minute shower per tank.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 2bits » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:37 pm

StandUpGuy wrote:
synaps3 wrote:I ordered this from Amazon for my TTT: http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GL6-6-Gallo ... n+6+gallon

I am happy with my litle 4 gallon unit. Your 6 gallon should be great. My guess is that in a shower which I believe you are going to have in your trailer, you can expect to get about a 5 minute shower per tank.

What about the wives???? :lol:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Previous

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets