front design

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

front design

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:36 pm

almost all teardrops have front as a curve top to bottom. The Raindrop by camp inn goes left to right.

is there any one who has pulled both and could tell any difference.

I know with my present trailer the lower part is flat and I could feel a kinda (what I call Uhaul trail tug) to it until I added the boot in the front curved top to bottom.

I am looking at making a left to right curve in the front and before I commit to a build I must research those areas that are unfamiliar territory.

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Re: front design

Postby rowerwet » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:52 pm

I haven't pulled a raindrop type front, but have pulled the same TD with three different vehicles. With my Ford Ranger I found the flat front starting to really pull above 60 mph, I planned on a tongue box that would match the height of the tailgate and sweep upward to the base of the curve in the front of the trailer. Pulling with my Ford Focus I never really felt the trailer drag unless I got behind a large truck, the disturbed air coming off the truck managed to hit the trailer enough to cause it to be felt, it also pushed it side to side and made me want to change lanes and get ahead of the truck.
Pulling the TD with my Dodge Grand Caravan I didn't feel the drag at all, even behind a large truck. I'm sure the higher back end of the van kept my TD in the "shadow", better than my small sedan. The truck with it's cab 6+ feet ahead of the tailgate didn't give the TD any real wind shadow and most likely had a draft sweeping down over the tailgate as I had a tonneau cover on the bed.
IMO a teardrop or a raindrop will "shed" the air about the same, just look at the number of cargo trailers with V-noses, I think it just comes down to looks, and what kind of TV you have.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:28 pm

Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:57 pm

At IRG 4.0 what this trailer
I tried to photograph all the tags on the trailers but missed this one.
The man who owns it said he got really good gas milage.
He like the Raindrop have a boot box as well.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:05 pm

rowerwet wrote:I haven't pulled a raindrop type front, but have pulled the same TD with three different vehicles. With my Ford Ranger I found the flat front starting to really pull above 60 mph, I planned on a tongue box that would match the height of the tailgate and sweep upward to the base of the curve in the front of the trailer. Pulling with my Ford Focus I never really felt the trailer drag unless I got behind a large truck, the disturbed air coming off the truck managed to hit the trailer enough to cause it to be felt, it also pushed it side to side and made me want to change lanes and get ahead of the truck.
Pulling the TD with my Dodge Grand Caravan I didn't feel the drag at all, even behind a large truck. I'm sure the higher back end of the van kept my TD in the "shadow", better than my small sedan. The truck with it's cab 6+ feet ahead of the tailgate didn't give the TD any real wind shadow and most likely had a draft sweeping down over the tailgate as I had a tonneau cover on the bed.
IMO a teardrop or a raindrop will "shed" the air about the same, just look at the number of cargo trailers with V-noses, I think it just comes down to looks, and what kind of TV you have.

You will see a big difference when you add the box but be carful as to what you put in it. To much weight in it when pulling with the little car unless it is a wagon might pull it down, we pull with a carolla and The last time I pulled it out I put the spare tire over the wheel and it scrapped less when going up or down steep driveway ramps.

The van I think it more like drafting. The Australians use a wind and mud block in front of their trailers
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby NateDogg » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:42 am

Ok this thread definitely caught my attention. I'm now considering left-right for my curve instead of the normal bottom-top curve. I would think it would help with drag also since I'll be towing with a 1/2 ton truck.
NateDogg
Teardrop Inspector

Postby alaska teardrop » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi Ron,
    Ran across this Aerovault Trailer designed by Pete Brock the other day at the races.
    The construction & materials are simular to welded boats. :designing:
    :peace: Fred
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:17 pm

That's pretty cool. Here're a couple more links.

http://www.bre2.net/pdfs/bre2_aerovault_brochure_2011_11_27.pdf?phpMyAdmin=k9QIsjCI-UCmbjFU6X2usBJKjz3

http://blog.roadandtrack.com/tags/aerovault-trailer/

Gulp, just $24k before options. Let's see, how many should I add to my on-line shopping cart? :thinking:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:35 am

rowerwet wrote:I haven't pulled a raindrop type front, but have pulled the same TD with three different vehicles. With my Ford Ranger I found the flat front starting to really pull above 60 mph, I planned on a tongue box that would match the height of the tailgate and sweep upward to the base of the curve in the front of the trailer. Pulling with my Ford Focus I never really felt the trailer drag unless I got behind a large truck, the disturbed air coming off the truck managed to hit the trailer enough to cause it to be felt, it also pushed it side to side and made me want to change lanes and get ahead of the truck.

it is true that a lot of it depends on the puller and how it passes the wind on.

a pickup truck vs a car vs a wagon vs taller van.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:53 am

a modern Pickup might do this

and the height of the puller might effect the trailer from wind coming from under the puller.

and a pickup truck youtube offers a s10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGHnCfJ- ... r_embedded
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:57 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HLBy-ui ... re=related

Truck and trailer kind of a teardrop. it is really a "Airflow over of my 2008 Mazda Tribute and 2009 Forest River r-pod. The silhouette was created from a picture of my truck/trailer parked on a flat roadway."
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:20 am

Ron Dickey wrote:At IRG 4.0 what this trailer

That's a nice looking trailer...it's got me thinking..wonder what it looks like on the inside
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:19 pm

droid_ca wrote:
Ron Dickey wrote:At IRG 4.0 what this trailer

That's a nice looking trailer...it's got me thinking..wonder what it looks like on the inside

I, too, was impressed by Ron and Mary Beth’s marvelous teardrop. The flawless canvas front uses the ship-building technique of canvas and paint/lacquer treatment. It is powered by a solar panel and even has a DVD player in the sleeping area. While I did not take pictures of the sleeping area, (didn’t want their cat to jump out), I did get a number of pictures of the outside and galley. Here is what I have of Ron's well thought-out and well done workmanship:

S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:29 pm

The floor plan of that Aerovault Trailer shows considerable thought and promise. In particular, it shows that, even though the majority of the trailer width is 80", thanks to the curves, the front area is the width of many tow vehicles, and then it graduates out, to get the best benefit of air flow that it can. :thumbsup:

http://www.bre2.net/pdfs/bre2_aerovault ... X2usBJKjz3
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby droid_ca » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:34 pm

S. Heisley wrote:
I, too, was impressed by Ron and Mary Beth’s marvelous teardrop. The flawless canvas front uses the ship-building technique of canvas and paint/lacquer treatment. It is powered by a solar panel and even has a DVD player in the sleeping area. While I did not take pictures of the sleeping area, (didn’t want their cat to jump out), I did get a number of pictures of the outside and galley. Here is what I have of Ron's well thought-out and well done workmanship:

Thanks Sharon this has me thinking of a fey ideas replace the front with a scratch resistant lexan or plexi glass of some sort and have a window right up front there but for the back end I'm almost thinking PUFFIN so yeah it would be a standy but of a different kind I could make it light and use full length boards...just some food for thought as of right now
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques