SPIDER SAUCE PAN ???

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

SPIDER SAUCE PAN ???

Postby bobhenry » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:22 am

O.K. maybe I have lead a sheltered life but I have never seen a round bottomed spider legged sauce pan. To the wiser cast iron enlightened, is this something as unusual as I think it is ? I couldn't resist it either way for $25.00 at a large consignment flea market.

Can any of you explain the tapered end to the rat tail handle. It has an almost flat screwdriver like shape. Perhaps to pry up the burner lids on an old woodburning stove but wouldn't that be kinda crazy if it had food in it .
Did I do good ?

Is it as unusual as I think it is?

and what is with the handle tip?

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: SPIDER SAUCE PAN ???

Postby bc toys » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:25 am

I've never seen one like that but opinon I think you done OK :thumbsup: with the buy I like the handle :shock: looks like a tire iron end :lol: :lol:. I love cast iron and I'll have to find me one of those :D :D
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:08 am

I had a reply on another forum from a rather knowledgable cast iron fan that dated the piece at about 1850 :shock:

Imagine if this thing could talk the tales it could tell .

162 years old WOW !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Rock » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:07 pm

Looks like a "Scotch" bowl from the pre-kitchen range days? Scotch bowl because it's rounded on the bottom making porridge easier to constantly stir to keep it from sticking and burning. I've got later Scotch bowls meant to be used on a kitchen range. For $25 I'd own it. I let a decent spider leg skillet like yours go and I've regretted it ever since. That bowl would be cool to cook your oatmeal in using the coals from the previous night's fire.

Maybe Ironhead will chime in.

Eric
Rock
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:49 am

Hey Rock

Right now there about 6 spider skillets on ebay My gal pal picked off a rat tail just like mine for 29.00 plus shipping on Tuesday. There is a nice one for 35 bucks "buy now" and of course the $199 $179 and $139 versions that curiously all have the EXACT same picture :?

I have just recently grown to truely appreciate mine. I use a 10" lodge camp oven lid with it and it cooks fantastic.

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Cast Iron