I feel bad........

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

I feel bad........

Postby TOTAL CARNAGE » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:42 pm

I have a trailer build going in the offroad section..........I haven't worked on it or updated my post for a while.......I feel bad for that..but maybe you'll enjoy the reason!

This is a new Huffy Cranbrook. I know, cheap Wal-Mart junk. In truth, tear it apart, some new grease and adjust every thing right and they hold up very well. Plus I love big white walls and 12ga. spokes.
That being said, My goal for this bike is to take a $89 Cranbrook and turn it into something you would never recognize as one. In my mind, I'm seeing a 40's style salt flat racer so here is what I have so far........

I changed the top tube and added one. I want to build a springer but just won't work with this rake.....Back to the saw!

That's better some rake, molding, spring legs and rockers.....
At this point I have cut the stock bars, took the seat apart, cut 1/2 to 1" off the pan, reshaped the foam and stretched the stock cover back on. The seat is just on for the pic. I will mod the post later.
At least it doesn't say Huffy on the back now!
This is where I'm at right now. Some more paint, custom chain guard and I have to order the engine kit yet. :twisted:
I also have to make wheel discs yet, I want them to look like solid spun aluminum wheels.
Well, that's it for now. Monster truck season is here and I'm off to Anaheim Ca. for my first show of the year so I'll up date when I get back and get more done!
TOTAL CARNAGE
Teardrop Builder

Postby kirkman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:11 am

Very Cool! I like it! 8) :thumbsup:
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:32 am

I agree.. very nice.

I have not gotten to work on one of those..so I have no experience with them. but being a simple bike [meaning not complex.. so suspension etc] they might be making a very serviceable bike.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Sam I am » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:14 pm

Very cool bike! Nice work on the front end and frame mods. That will be a head turner when you ride it!
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby gulfrat » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:01 pm

Wow! Great job. I knew that name seemed familar. I've seen some of your other bikes on ratrodbikes.com. Very nice work!
:thumbsup:
gulfrat
Teardrop Inspector

Re: I feel bad........

Postby TOTAL CARNAGE » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:59 pm

Sorry, I forgot I posted this build here. Thank you very much eveyone. Yes gulfrat, you got me. If you like "different" bikes you have to hang out at ratrodbikes. I finished up the build and spent the summer riding and tweaking. This is what I ended up with.
The disk wheels where the hardest part to build but came out well. It is a bit different to ride than my other bikes. With the disk wheels and short handle bars you have to keep a tight grip on a windy day!
I found the lights at Dollar General for 2 bucks and a few more dollars for clamps and such at the hardware store.
Love LED's!!!! Small but work well in town and look real cool with the disk wheel lit up! The little splash of red adds a spark to the bike too. Well, that's it. I think I made my goal and had fun doing it! Let me know what you think of it!
TOTAL CARNAGE
Teardrop Builder

Postby logman7777 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:46 pm

Diggin the look!

Im still trying to decide between House of Kolor Blurple or Tangerine with some monster flake as a base on my 50's JC Higgins..

Its hangin in the shop just crying for me to put it together but it needs some paint 1st..
Coleman Keepers 200A Gang
Green Lantern Corpsmen
High Wide and Handsome Probationary Member
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby TOTAL CARNAGE » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:41 pm

Thank you logman. I know picking a color can be the hardest part! Yellow would NOT normaly be a color I would use but from the moment I first thought this one up I saw yellow and disk wheels.........
Get on that Higgins! I can't wait to se it. I just love the old ones. Here's the 1940 J.C.Higgins I built for my wife. I used most all of the original parts,wheels, skip tooth chain, fenders.....
The only new parts are the seat, tires and motor.
TOTAL CARNAGE
Teardrop Builder

Postby logman7777 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:48 pm

Good to see people getting those motors on bikes..

I was the distributor for the mid-eastern states at one time in my life for GruBee.

Got my last engine on the shelf waiting for the right candidate (not the Higgins though)..

Been tempted to go with a semi auto 4 speed Lifan 70-90cc on a Worksman but havent come across one yet that has pleaded for me to buy it.. :D
Green Lantern Corpsmen
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby logman7777 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:49 pm

And definitely a cool Higgins you built for your Wife!
Green Lantern Corpsmen
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby gulfrat » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:10 pm

Looks great...the disk wheels are premium!
gulfrat
Teardrop Inspector

Postby logman7777 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:45 am

Bump dem cool bikes up! :thumbsup:
Green Lantern Corpsmen
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Return to Bicycles