Coffee can chicken

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Coffee can chicken

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:30 pm

I am steeling this from a person in the Coleman Collectors Forum.

Thanks Jacobs Dad

I have not done it but it sure looks yummy. I did a bit of a search and did not see it mentioned here.

Coffee Can Chicken

1 whole chicken (no more than 3 1/2 lbs)
butter
salt
pepper
heavy duty aluminum foil

Punch or drill holes in gallon size tin can 1 inch up from the bottom and spaced 1 inch apart around the can. Place 18 briquettes (no more no less) in the bottom of the can and light. (The can gets hot enough to burn the grass below it so be very careful where you place the can.) Rub chicken with butter and season as you like. Wrap chicken with heavy aluminum foil twice. (First in the side to side direction and then from bottom to top. Make sure foil closing point is on the top of the chicken.) Once charcoal has turned white, place the chicken into the can with the legs facing the top of the can. It's perfectly fine if the chicken sticks out of the can. Leave the can and chicken sit for 3 hours. When 3 hours has past you can remove the chicken from the can and when you open the foil the chicken will be fall off the bone tender, juicy and delicious.

YouTube to wet your appetites

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Mikka » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:47 am

Sounds real good and a variance of the "dacing chicken" will find me a can and try it out at the huting camp. Will be nice to return for supper with meat already cooked!
Mikka
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:09 am

sounds to me the hardest thing about it is finding a small chicken. Or a bit larger container.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Re: Coffee can chicken

Postby pigcooker » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:54 pm

I tried this chicken cooking method a few weeks back. The hard part was finding a 3- 1/2 lb. chicken.
The chicken was done as promised, falling off the bone. When I did it the weather was 35 deg., a slight breeze, and misty.
I checked the progress every hour, after the 2nd hour the smells were terrific, I let it go for the third hour. The chicken was very done, not burnt or scorched just overcooked, it tasted good, made a nice chicken salad too. However, the next time I cook chicken this way, I will try 12 or 13 briquettes instead of 18, and for only about 2-1/2 hrs. The temp. outside will probably be warmer too.

Give it a try!!! Doug, aka Pigcooker :beer:
pigcooker
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby pigcooker » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:38 pm

I tried this recipe again last week. I used 14 briquettes, a 4.25lb. chicken, and cooked it 2 hrs. instead of 3 hrs.

I cut the backbone out of the bird, with poultry shears, this made it 1-1/2 in. narrower, then tied it closed with
cotton twine. The chicken fit in the can as if it were a 3-1/2 pounder.

After 2 hrs. the chicken was about 98% done, it needed just a slight bit of effort to seperate the leg from the thigh.

Next time, I will use 15 charcoal briquettes, a 4 ish pound chicken without the backbone, and cook it for 2-1/4 hrs.
I hope this will roast the bird completely, without overcooking it.

I will let ya'll know how that went.

Doug :beer:
pigcooker
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:54 pm

Yum yum

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1