The Big Blue

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

The Big Blue

Postby Brodie » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:38 pm

Greetings!

My name is Mike and I am building my first Teardrop and this is my Build Journal. The goal of this Build Journal is to inspire others as so many of you have inspired me. It's because of your designs and craftsmanship that I am attempting this.

The TD bug bit me fast and I was obsessed immediately. I'm not even sure where I saw my first one or how I became aware of these. Once I had a name for it and put it into Google, I was hooked. I've spent just a few months researching and reading all I can on these wonderful little campers and I love everything about them and the community that supports them. There are still a lot things I don't know yet on how to build this but I will never learn if I don't try, so here is me jumping in with both feet.

The plan is a 5x10 with Benroy styling. The profile is something I intend to play with and is not set yet. But something in that genre. The idea is to Keep It Simple... There will be no sink as I feel its added weight and build complexity all for a tiny bowl. No propane as I just use a Coleman stove. No AC or heater. I never had either in years of tent camping and truck camping. If it starts snowing, I just go home. There will be 110 and 12v electrical and this is the part I have no clue about but I've been reading a lot on this topic and starting to get the idea. The rest of the design is still a work in progress. I think that's part of the fun, figuring things out as I go along.

Thanks for viewing my Build and please comment and add your input. As I post my pictures please feel free to ask questions or advise on something I may be doing wrong.

I'm reserving the 2nd post on this topic for a parts list and place to put links to items I've found online. I found that to be very helpful from others builds and having it consolidated to one place I hope makes it more useful.

-MW-
Brodie
Teardrop Inspector

Re: The Big Blue

Postby Brodie » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:39 pm

Parts Lists and Links

Trailer
This is where I bought all my parts for the trailer frame. Retail :( but at least there were no shipping costs.
Washoe Metal Fab http://washoemetal.net/

We got the steel from PDM. My welder got us a discount which helped.
http://www.pdmsteel.com/dist_78.html

Primer for the trailer
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=383

Finish is Metalic Cobolt Blue
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=30

4 wire to 4 and 7 wire plug for Tow Vehicle
Hopkins 47185 Multi-Tow Adapter (Amazon)

7 wire Trailer Cable
Hopkins 20146 8' 7 RV Blade Molded Trailer Cable (Amazon)

7 Pole Junction Box
Conntek 10000 BX Trailer 6 or 7 Pole Junction Box (Amazon)

Tools

Kreg Jig Master System
http://www.kregtool.com/ (Amazon)

(Amazon) I have a Prime account on Amazon, so anything I can get through them I go there first for the free 2 day shipping.
Last edited by Brodie on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Brodie
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Brodie » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:50 pm

The Trailer Frame.

I spent a lot of time looking for a frame. I almost bought the 5x8 from Norther tool but its back ordered right now until December. I looked every day on Craigslist and even went and visited a few in person. I just couldn't see putting something we spend so much time building and thinking about and dreaming of on a puny little bolt together trailer. So I went in search of a welder. I'm paying about $1500 for a custom trailer by the time everything is done, but I feel that this is a good investment.

I met my new welder friend (found on Yellow Pages) at the trailer shop on Tuesday and we ordered all the parts we would need. Then we went to a metal supplier to get all the 2x2 square tubing and angle sticks. We met this morning at his home shop and the build is now a reality.

The tongue is actually completed with chains and jack mounted. We will be flipping the trailer over tomorrow and completing the welds. Also to be completed are the stabilizer jack mounts in the back corners and the bolt mounts.

-MW-
Brodie
Teardrop Inspector

Postby nevadatear » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:49 am

Welcome mike! There is another mike out in Fallon about half way through his build. Don't ask Dave how long it took to get his frame! Wink wink. Great that your welder got you moving right along. Pdm is the place. My husband owns a machine shop in Lovelock and pdm makes a visit once a week. Can't wait to see your build and welcome to the nor nv tear droppers! First outing, dam gathering in may. Maybe cabalas in April.

Hey nor nv folks. Maybe we should do a winter defiance thing? Holiday get together and show and tell for the newbies?
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:57 am

And by show and tell I mean we get to see what they have done over the summer. Yes this means you Dave, mike g and Mel!
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:06 pm

Hey Debbie, I resemble that remark! It would be wonderful to get together with the NV builders and talk Teardrops!

Hi Mike, Great progress there and welcome to the NV Teardropers!! Debbie's right, it took quite a few months for my frame to get fabricated mostly because it was a trade-out. ;) We may be neighbors, from you picks it looks like you're in the old north west area? Thanks for posting your progress sir.

All the Best,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby Brodie » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:46 pm

Trailer update.

Here is the tow vehicle, 2000 Tahoe Z71 with the 5.7 V8. I have no weight issues other then for resale in a few years

I haven't decided if the project is going to happen in the garage or on the 10x30 patio with cover in the back of the house.

I need to cut the safety chains down and put different hooks on the end. And I'm not sold on the jack. It doesn't have a wheel to help move the trailer around, and it needs some sort of locking mechanism otherwise it will just walk away.

Now I wait for the Rust-Oleum Primer and Paint to arrive and we get it protected.
Brodie
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Brodie » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:51 pm

DMcCam wrote:Hey Debbie, I resemble that remark! It would be wonderful to get together with the NV builders and talk Teardrops!

Hi Mike, Great progress there and welcome to the NV Teardropers!! Debbie's right, it took quite a few months for my frame to get fabricated mostly because it was a trade-out. ;) We may be neighbors, from you picks it looks like you're in the old north west area? Thanks for posting your progress sir.

All the Best,

Dave

Hi Dave, The pictures were taken at the welders out in Lemmon Valley. I live in town SE in Donner Springs.

I need to thank you btw. We pretty much used your design and pictures of the Atma as the starting point for my trailer. You will notice many common features im sure.
Brodie
Teardrop Inspector

Postby nevadatear » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:35 pm

I think we would agree with you about the jack. We push our trailer around a lot! And if you ever get to a big gathering like IRG or the DAM, you and several of your new best friends and campmates will be pushing your trailer in hitherto-fore directions you never expected. Your welder may not have realized how much teardroppers take advantage of their trailers light weight to move in a crosswise or other more favorable campsite location.
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Brodie » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:36 pm

Trailer Paint

The primer is http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=154.
It doesn't go on easy. Really need to shake lots and start with a warm can. I put them near the heater vent overnight to help.

The finish coat is Metallic Cobalt Blue http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=30 .

Waiting for the bottom to dry then one more coat and flip it back down to put a final coat on the top and side.
Brodie
Teardrop Inspector

Postby flyinglow » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:59 pm

Looks like a nice solid chasis. What was the finished size and what size will the finished size?

Oh and BTW...the real Big Blue will be in your town on December 1 with revenge on the mind! lol

Love me some football at Bronco Stadium south.
flyinglow
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Brodie » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:40 pm

Is there a way to ignore Bronco fans somehow? I can't seem to find the setting :dead:
After losing to San Diego and Air Force our season is basically over, but a spoiler game against Boise is a good way to finish

The frame is actually 5'6"x10', I built in the extra to have a full size Queen mattress with room for bedding on the sides. I'm designing for at least 40" head clearance. The profile isn't decided yet though. I'm splicing plywood for length, but I don't want it too tall.
Brodie
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:07 am

Great job on the frame. You will be making sawdust soon! Enjoy the build, It's a big part of the fun.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby desertmoose » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:15 am

looking good Mike. I think you'll be happier with a custom frame rather then a bolt together one.

Debbie: what exactly do you have in mind on the winter defiance thing? An overnight campout? a day get together with a BBQ? Let us know, it sounds like fun.

Sam and Kat
desertmoose
The 300 Club

Postby flyinglow » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:38 pm

Brodie,

Thanks for the info, look forward to watching your build.

And just razzing you about the pack. Have enjoyed watching this series for many years and wish we were going to have more, too bad the little general says no. Will just have to make it down there for other games and reasons.
flyinglow
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Build Journals