Propane tank J-hook hold downs

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Propane tank J-hook hold downs

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:38 pm

I'm looking for some simple, cheap J-hooks for holding down a 5-gallon propane tank.

Searching for such gets me lots of suggestions for making my own, but without the ability to cut or bend threaded rod, I'd like to purchase instead.

Thanks,

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Re: Propane tank J-hook hold downs

Postby Dale M. » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:42 pm

Internet search comes up with something like this....

http://www.boltdepot.com/J-Bolts_w__nut ... steel.aspx

Coupled (no pun intended ) with something like this...

http://www.boltdepot.com/Coupling_nuts_ ... steel.aspx

And appropriate lengths of "all thread".....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:16 pm

I used battery tie downs plus one J hook for my little tank. I got the battery tie downs at the auto store and the J hook at ACE hardware. I also have a strap on it, to be on the safe side; but, I really don't need it. I tend towards overkill.

S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:30 am

I found some online a few weeks ago, but neglected to bookmark the page.

Still looking for J-hooks like Sharon has. Local ACE and WM don't have, and the nearest Camping World is 60+ miles away

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:53 pm

Rubber bungees with S-hooks work pretty well too.
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby Verna » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:05 pm

S. Heisley wrote:I used battery tie downs plus one J hook for my little tank. I got the battery tie downs at the auto store and the J hook at ACE hardware. I also have a strap on it, to be on the safe side; but, I really don't need it. I tend towards overkill.

Thanks, Sharon, for the pic and the idea. I have a new 11 gallon propane tank and I thought I'd look to see if I could find out how others had tied theirs down. This should work. Now to the auto parts store.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:42 pm

Verna wrote:
S. Heisley wrote:I used battery tie downs plus one J hook for my little tank. I got the battery tie downs at the auto store and the J hook at ACE hardware. I also have a strap on it, to be on the safe side; but, I really don't need it. I tend towards overkill.

Thanks, Sharon, for the pic and the idea. I have a new 11 gallon propane tank and I thought I'd look to see if I could find out how others had tied theirs down. This should work. Now to the auto parts store.

To be fair, the original idea for the battery hold/tie-downs was given to me by Kevin A and Doug Hodder, at the 2010(?) Dam Gathering. I took that idea and ran with it. The battery hold-down kit that I bought came with a piece that fit over the top of the battery; and, if I remember correctly, the hook part was supposed to go on the bottom and the wing nuts screwed down on the top. However, the piece that fit over the top of a battery didn't fit over the propane tank. So, I inverted the hook parts, bending them just a tad to fit past the fat part of the tank without rubbing, and anchored them into holes in the angle iron, using the wing nuts and washers supplied. The supplied red rubber-like washers help keep the wing nuts from coming loose. (If I were to do it again, I would buy the pieces separately, instead of buying the kit.) I added the J-hook, which keeps the tank from trying to slip around or out from the hold-downs, as it seemed to be prone to do before I added that. I have since added one of those rubber-like washers to the threaded end of the J-hook as well, just to be on the safe side.

...Probably more than you wanted to know. :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets