Eating Habits.

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Eating Habits.

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:25 am

I was once "raked over the coals" on this forum (although it was good natured raking) for stating that "there is more than one way to skin a cat". The forum outcry required me to state it was merely a "figure of speech" and that I have never skinned a cat (or other mammal).

However:

I like beef (but i'm kinda allergic to it and the rarer it is the more I'm allergic to it), pork, fish, aquatic invertebrates (I draw the line at terrestrial invertebrates), fish, yeast, fowl and a host of other former living things.

I don't see why eating a cat (or even a few cats) is such a big deal.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/1 ... 81496.html

Koreans eat dogs.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... e_dog.html

Peruvians eat guinea pigs. We once had a guinea pig and my mother would let "George" run loose in the back yard but "George" would always come to Mom when she called for her. "George" it turns out was a girl. I digress.

http://moreintelligentlife.com/story/ho ... guinea-pig

It seems that pigs are smarter than dogs. So why aren't we upset about eating pork chops, bacon, pig's feet, ham, and all things pig?

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/Science/story ... 0CDgvG8ZBk

"They Shoot Horses (and eat them), Don't They"

http://grist.org/list/2011-12-01-eating ... -loves-it/

Some folks even eat live worms that set up shop in their gut for a few weeks!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3287733.stm

So, what's the big deal over a guy having an occasional cat "over for dinner"?

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Re: Eating Habits.

Postby parnold » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:04 pm

This was one of the posts in response.. lol..

It's a cultural thing. Biologically, cats are just animals, they have meat, they provide food.
That said, I love my cat, but I know that if it came down to it, he'd eat me, and I'd eat him. (I like to think I'd win, though.)

I wouldn't eat my cat, she's such an ornery old coot that she'd probably taste terrible! :lol:

Just to be clear... I DO NOT CONDONE EATING DOGS OR CATS! I do however love the socially acceptable animals.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Corwin C » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:40 pm

Compared to some of the sh..tuff that Andrew Zimmern has eaten, I think cat or dog would be somewhat ordinary.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:44 pm

Corwin C wrote:Compared to some of the sh..tuff that Andrew Zimmern has eaten, I think cat or dog would be somewhat ordinary.

Agreed, so why is the fellow in jail being charged with multiple misdemeanors?

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Mukilteo » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:24 pm

When I was little we raised chickens, ducks, & rabbits for food. We didn't name them because of that. They weren't pets.
Oh yes we even chased the chickens when my dad cut their heads off. Was considered great fun.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:00 am

My brother recently got chicks for the grand kids. I asked if I could name them. He said "sure why not?"

I named them: Teriyaki, Stew, Fricassee, Fried, and Kung Pao.

His grand kids weren't amused. My sister-in-law isn't amused.

But none got my point that chickens are food, not pets.

Oh well

I've eaten a lot of weird stuff in my time. I was taught not to say no before tasting. That has led me to taste such delicacies as balouts (fermented fertilized duck eggs), raw horse meat (sliced very thin like carapaccio), broiled larks (on skewers) etc.

As someone said, it's all cultural. What someone thinks is a delicacy, someone else is repulsed by. It takes all kinds.

I still take pride in saying "I'll taste anything - once"

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby campmaster-k » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:02 pm

We had a pig we raised for meat. He was funny and we named him Mark. He was a red pig Durrock or something like that. He would come when called and he and his other pig friends would break out at night and get into adventures and shenanigans, which mostly involved destroying peoples gardens. In the morning he would always be back waiting to be fed. He loved it when he got sprayed by the hose, he would roll on his back and make his feet go like he was running. He got big and we took Mark to the butcher. Several weeks later my sister invited me to dinner. She said we were having Mark for dinner. So I showed up and as dinner was being served I asked arnt we going to wait for your friend Mark to show up? She said Mark is on your plate. We all had a weird moment and ate Mark for dinner. Its just different when you name it. :cry: :lol:
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:15 pm

Dad who was a California agricultural extension service agent used to buy one of the 4H cows at the Napa county fair trade half of the cow for a sheep and half of the sheep for a pig he then butchers them all and we ate very well. My sister raised pigeons and sold them. I remember the butchering process, in the garage. I have no problem with cats and dogs particularly slow roasted over an open fire :roll:
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby the other side » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:08 pm

The only name I want my food to have is its PROPER name... Chicken, Pork, Beef...

My friend was raised on road kill (if the meal was going to have meat). That was all the meat her mother could afford. The only name they gave it was Road Kill!
the other side
The 300 Club

Postby campmaster-k » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:10 am

My son and I hunt alot and bring stuff home to eat. All sorts of critters. My wife will eat most of it but does not want to see the face. She wont eat it if she has seen its face. So we are careful to , Ahmmm, remove the face outside.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby asianflava » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:18 am

We'd have 3 or 4 cows to keep our pasture mowed. We named them but they were still aloof and skittish (with the exception of one Brahma) so we had no problem sending them off to the butcher. The Brahma "Wrinkles" was docile, because she was bottle fed as a baby. We ended up donating her to the Sheriff's youth farm.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby jstrubberg » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:23 pm

My kids used to name all grandpa's cows...then ask which cow we were eating when we had cheeseburgers. Didn't bother them a bit. The whole "thou shalt not eat that" thing is learned behavior.

I'm told that mountain lion is one of the finest wild game meats out there. I look forward to finding out someday.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby eamarquardt » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:06 pm

jstrubberg wrote:My kids used to name all grandpa's cows...then ask which cow we were eating when we had cheeseburgers. Didn't bother them a bit. The whole "thou shalt not eat that" thing is learned behavior.

I'm told that mountain lion is one of the finest wild game meats out there. I look forward to finding out someday.

I'm told it tastes a lot like chicken ("they" seem to say everything exotic tastes a bit like chicken).

Enjoy. I can't see shooting something and let it go to waste unless it's a nuisance .

Cheers,

Gus
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dean in Ct. » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:49 pm

Mountain lion actually tastes more like a cross between California Condor and Spotted Owl.
Dean in Ct.
Teardrop Master

Postby pmowers » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:55 pm

I work with a woman who lives on a farm. She has an agreement with her husband that the female cattle will remain on the farm but the bulls can go to market. She had two calves that she had bottle-fed, raised and named Babe and Precious. Her husband referred to them as T-bone and Porterhouse. :lol:
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Build log:http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51193
pmowers
Donating Member

Next

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1