DO cooking in Australia, good stuff!

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

DO cooking in Australia, good stuff!

Postby Kody » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:19 am

G'uday Slow and everybody else,
This site here,

http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/

is one of the most popular web sites about DO cooking in Australia. There is heaps of info, recipes, how to get the heat right etc etc. Scroll up and down the full length or you will miss some important bits if you don't. One of the most enjoyable things we cook here is Damper. It is very easy to do and is fabulous tucker, cut out a good slice, slap on lots of butter and Golden Syrup and you're away. It's mouth watering tucker 'oright. Check out the web site below for Australian Golden Syrup and what it is. Cindy just told me she knows of no US equivalent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_syrup

If you can't find any of the fair dinkum stuff, use lots of Maple Syrup but if you want to be a True Blue, get the good stuff.
There are some great photos of Aust. within the web site but one of the best pages is about heating for cooking at the correct temperature.
Slow, a 12 inch DO is the perfect size, you don't need a bigger one and the three legs are essential for proper use. I have one without legs and one with legs. The one with legs is the best by far. My DO's get a bit rusty without use so I clean them by sand blasting them. I bought a sand blasting kit from Bunnings for $20.00 and it does a great job. The kit consists of a hand piece, some rubber hose and a delivery tube that you stick in a bucket of clean dry sand. You have to supply an air compressor to run it. My air compressor knocks out 15 cubic feet per minute and works great. The finer the sand the better, I nick my sand from a beach as its ever so fine. Taking sand from the beach area is a big No-No but there is nowhere else to get it. The fine sand sure cleans the DO and I have also cleaned lots of tools and my boat trailer. It's fabulous for cleaning stick welding prior to painting with Cold Gal paint.

There is nothing to be compared to a rabbit or lamb stew cooked in a DO with Aussie hardwood for the fire. Oh, drool-drool. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :applause: :applause:

Kody
Never be afraid to ask questions here, Prov. 11:14
Kody
The 300 Club

Re: DO cooking in Australia, good stuff!

Postby bobhenry » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:41 am

Can I assume that Damper is a rather course heavy bread that would be great with soups and stews.

I make a similar version out of my mom's cookbook that uses beer ,the darker the better,
( I like Fosters or Michalobe Dark ) A tiny loaf seems to have the weight of a half a brick but hot out of the oven it is wonderful as a side with the soups and stews mentioned above.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Kody » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:14 am

Damper can be made two ways, it can be coarse and heavy or it can be light and cake like. It depends on what you make it with and how you prepare it.

Kody
Never be afraid to ask questions here, Prov. 11:14
Kody
The 300 Club

Postby Vedette » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:52 pm

That's not what we have been hearing here on the Forum???????????????
Good Roads
Brian
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Return to Cast Iron