tear drop or green egg

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Re: tear drop or green egg

Postby jonw » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:31 pm

asianflava wrote:Barrel smokers are fine (UDS), but all they can do is smoke. I was listening to the guy at Costco giving his speil on the Trager (pellet pooper). He was talking about grilling on it, but I seriously doubt that it can get to temps high enough for a decent sear. The beauty of an egg (or any Kamado cooker) is that you can smoke low-n-slow and sear at high temps. Though I haven't done it, folks bake in it. Pizzas are popular because you can get it up to high temps, and the dome mimic a brick oven.

Well, not quite. I have a Weber Smoky Mt. that I use both for low and slo smoking, but also do a lot of roasts at 350 like in an oven. Love it.

You can use it as a grill by removing the center tube and putting the top grill right above the direct coals, but IMHO that's a PITA. I just use a small gas grill or weber charcoal kettle for direct hi-heat grilling.

Recently bought a Cuisinart single burner gas grill from Amazon that is just wonderful, albeit a tad pricey: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TO ... 02_s00_i00 - hot, easy to use, well designed, and can be used for tailgating and camping.
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Re: tear drop or green egg

Postby asianflava » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:52 pm

jonw wrote:Well, not quite. I have a Weber Smoky Mt. that I use both for low and slo smoking, but also do a lot of roasts at 350 like in an oven. Love it.

I'm talking about a 500º-600º sear.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Previous

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1