tools to take to a teardrop gathering?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Re: tools to take to a teardrop gathering?

Postby bobhenry » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:35 am

I remember standing at the side of the road with a flat trailer tire and looking at a rather worthless bumper jack for my grand wagoneer wishing I had a small scissor jack. :cry:

channel lock pliers be it for trailer bearings or a make shift dutch oven lid lifter.

wire cutter crimpers for emergency wire repair ( with a few crimps and a small hunk of stranded wire)

I have had my drill along and have used it to power the leveling jacks and happened to have some 3" screws to make repairs to a rather wobbley park picnic table.

4 way lug wrench is almost a must with different trailers and different tow vehicles it's nice to know it will fit where needed.

hammer for tent stakes or whatever!

A small camping axe for tending the campfire and could also sub for the hammer above.

Ratchet straps I never leave home without them. They will keep your first up gazebo on the ground even in high winds, they will also control loose cargo in the pickup on the way. They have even been used to "lock" the coolers shut as protection from the raccoons.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Verna » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:14 am

Tie wraps--how did I survive before I started using them??? And diagonal cutters to cut the ties. Velcro tie wraps sure are nice in that they are reusable.

Fly swatter--I'm hoping those yellow jackets are scarce next weekend at The Mounds, but I'll be prepared for them.

A grabber--yeah, go ahead and laugh!!! I use it to help straighten the bedspread at the foot of the bed. Plus, it can be used to get those things that roll under the TD.

Gloves--I can tackle a lot more of the dirty jobs if I'm wearing gloves. I have nitrile gloves and leather gloves in my Escape.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby Alleged User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:49 am

Verna wrote:A grabber--yeah, go ahead and laugh!!! I use it to help straighten the bedspread at the foot of the bed. Plus, it can be used to get those things that roll under the TD.

What is this 'grabber' you speak of? :thinking:
Kelly & Duke
2011 ZZ Drop
Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. - Eskimo proverb
Alleged User
Donating Member

Location: Northern Virginia...not to be confused with Virginia.

Postby DriverOne » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:35 am

Verna wrote:Tie wraps--how did I survive before I started using them??? And diagonal cutters to cut the ties. Velcro tie wraps sure are nice in that they are reusable.

Fly swatter--I'm hoping those yellow jackets are scarce next weekend at The Mounds, but I'll be prepared for them.

A grabber--yeah, go ahead and laugh!!! I use it to help straighten the bedspread at the foot of the bed. Plus, it can be used to get those things that roll under the TD.

Gloves--I can tackle a lot more of the dirty jobs if I'm wearing gloves. I have nitrile gloves and leather gloves in my Escape.

I found a grabber to be beneficial as well. Often times it gives me the option to pass info cards to interested parties at traffic lights!

Oh. Grabber is like a robot arm that you control.
Image There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!" Image
DriverOne
Teardrop Master

Postby Mukilteo » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:38 am

slowcowboy wrote:what would you take to a teardrop gathering.

I would take bolt cutters.

and thats a long story!

what would others take?

slow

Having been teased with the "Bolt Cutters" story many times, I still would like to hear it.
My only guess is that you had to cut the padlock on the gate to the campground.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby Thawley » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:54 am

slowcowboy wrote:what would others take?

A bottle opener – Duh.
Thawley
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DriverOne » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:18 pm

Thawley wrote:
slowcowboy wrote:what would others take?

A bottle opener – Duh.

You mean they don't come stock? :D
Image There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!" Image
DriverOne
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:46 pm

I started out with a tool bag containing this:

Also, always in the car:
4-way lug wrench
Bottle jack
Jumper cables
First Aid kit (small)
wind-up flashlight (small)
Bottled water
Blanket
Flares
Maps

Also, always in the trailer:
Battery operated tire inflating device with built in light
Flashlights
Plastic jump suit, in case I have to get dirty.
Fly swatter
Wasp spray
Bear spray

I just added a bionic wrench (didn't know what else to do with it)
and I got a credit card-sized survival tool for Christmas (don't know where I'll put that...gotta read up on it).

:thinking: ...I'm probably forgetting something....
I was...I keep my old spare pair of eye glasses in the glove compartment.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:17 pm

My too kit has been growing based on what I have encountered on the one month trip. The 7 blade trailer socket analyzer (is it the TV or trailer wiring) set of sockets to fit the screwdriver and a 100 piece screwdriver bit set (gets all those tamper resistant screws and the usual ones). Wire strippers, wire, ring and inline splices small torch for soldering, wire and heat shrink tubing, replaced the VOM with a DC/AC clamp meter. A masons hammer, good for pulling tent stakes and rock hunting. Hose clamps of various sizes.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Bogo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:24 pm

slowcowboy wrote:sad thing is I don't have a bottle opener in my teardrop and would never really find a use for one.

I can't see using a bottle opener to open a bottle of bottled water!

heeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nope no bottle openers on this rig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got no bottles to open!!!!!!!!!!!

slow

There are some mighty fine ginger beers, non-alcoholic, that make having a bottle opener an absolute must for me.
Bogo
500 Club

Postby Verna » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:44 pm

Bogo wrote:There are some mighty fine ginger beers, non-alcoholic, that make having a bottle opener an absolute must for me.

My Swiss Army knife has a bottle opener on it. I'll stick with it for when I want an IBC Root Beer :thumbsup:
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:29 am

Depends on how long my trip is. On my New Mexico trip I brought a floor jack and a sizer jack, a tool box filled with repair project tools hammer, pliers, zip ties, several size screw drivers, volt meter, screws, power screw driver, snips, a car battery driven air compressor and a pry bar. So if I had something happen I could get it back on the road and find a place to get it fixed correctly. I happened I did need the floor jack most of all, somewhere on the trip the trailer found a bump or hole that broke the weld on the axel and after getting it to a motel pulled out my jack stands( I used to stabilize the trailer when we slept) and the floor jack and it sat on the stand until I found a guy with a portable welder.
I have a small tool box in which I keep tools just for trailer trips. I alway bring a extra scissor jack and pry bar for tent stakes which I find everywhere. I always bring along extra screws, nuts, and bolts, a new pack of small rope. My hammer is usually a hatchet hammer like roofers carry. Lastly a folding army shovel.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Return to User Polls