Fish!

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Fish!

Postby GerryS » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:29 pm

My wife made salmon in our cast iron.....tasted great! Now how do we get the fish smell out of the cast iron? Are we about to reseason on pan?
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Fish!

Postby GerryS » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:24 pm

Yeh, it left a hint-o-fish behind. Based on things ice read elsewhere it Looks like reseasoning time.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Corwin C » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:01 pm

If the smell isn't "offensive" go ahead and use the pan. Essentially you have seasoned the pan with fish oil. It may take a few uses to make the odor undetectable, but it will eventually fade. I doubt that there will be enough of the fish oil available to impart a taste or smell to whatever you cook in it next. If you're not willing to live with the odor, try cleaning the pan with a spritz of vinegar. You may be able to retain your hard earned seasoning that way.

BTW - A friend of mine has a CI pan dedicated to cooking fish because his better half is bothered by the odor (he also cooks fish outside not in the kitchen.)
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby GerryS » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:38 pm

I was afraid of that. Well, guess I need to crack out the beeswax and get seasoning. The taste of salmon and pancakes just don't go together....
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Corwin C » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:14 pm

Hopefully I didn't give the wrong impression. I don't think the smell will affect your pancakes. At any rate, I've had good success with a little vinegar with a heavy garlic odor and an incident with some rancid oil. I would definitely try washing with vinegar before giving up to a re-season.

Also, how are you using beeswax to season cast iron? ... that's a new one to me.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby GerryS » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:47 pm

This CI IS a little rough....so it's almost a welcomed curse.

Yeah, season with beeswax just like you would with another oil. First time I heard about it, I thought the person was nuts....but we tried it. Now we chase our eggs....the key thing is, make sure it's 100% pure....some waxes have soy or other oils in it...that won't work. You can buy a block of beeswax from your neighborhood apiary or off the interwebs.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GerryS » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:53 pm

BTW, we tried the vinegar as well as baking soda and a few other fixes we found ... There is still contamination. Strong enough to smell, so I guarantee well taste it...that's the curse of being a "foodie"
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:10 am

I would have had a deep fry fest.....

Mushroons, onion rings, french frys , deep fried pepperoncinies, and anything else that gets in the way. The high heat and the oil will draw from the pores and the smell would be gone and never bother the deep fried treats. May not be the healthiest answer but is sure sounds good to me.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Mikka » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:31 pm

GerryS wrote:I was afraid of that. Well, guess I need to crack out the beeswax and get seasoning. The taste of salmon and pancakes just don't go together....

Why don't you just rinse it with lemon juice?
Mikka
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GerryS » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:22 pm

Fried rest sounds good :). But ice got 45 pounds to lose....

Well try the lemon juice....failing that,it's redo time...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Cast Iron