Home Mountain bike trail system

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Re: Home Mountain bike trail system

Postby Fenlason » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:25 am

Further up the slope, you are more riding in the middle of the cedars, picking a path through them.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby JuneBug » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:04 pm

Fenlason wrote:I then purchased a Rogue Hoe... and found it less work than the rototiller. In non rocky soil this tool is absolutely amazing.
It is quite sharp.. holds and edge well.. but also sharpens well. I love bench cutting with it.

Rogues Hoes are amazing; beautifully balanced and great to work with. So perfect. Our club bought some after we had hosted an IMBA Trail Workshop and had a chance to work with them.

Don't think I'll every use a McLeod again.

Also nice from a recycling point of view: turning plowshares into trails, so to speak.
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:24 pm

JuneBug wrote:Rogues Hoes are amazing; beautifully balanced and great to work with. So perfect. Our club bought some after we had hosted an IMBA Trail Workshop and had a chance to work with them.

Don't think I'll every use a McLeod again.

Also nice from a recycling point of view: turning plowshares into trails, so to speak.

Yes I so love this tool. I had heard good of them, but I had never used, seen, or even knew anyone personally, that owned one. I had originally ordered a smaller one. Once placing the order, I was told the one I wanted was not in stock and it would be some time, before I could get it. [after I had paid for it] I did end up switching the order. I was a little hesitant to pay as much as I did for this thing. I had second thoughts.. before I even received it.

Once I got it.. and started using it. WOW!! I wished I had gotten one sooner, it was well worth the money. It was such a joy to use. Seriously each morning.. I got up.. anxious to get out there and use it. Some mornings with other things I needed to be doing.. I would get out there early and just work an hour.. sort of getting a morning wake up workout, before moving on to my other work. Some days.. I just ended up staying out there. Some days.. at the end of the day.. I would be sooo trashed.. so tired.. but again it was such a pleasure using such a great tool, it was hard to stop.

Before I got it, I was unsure how much I would use the rake end... and I love it. I had also read in reviews about how well you can carve the earth with it.. shaping the trail. I never fully appreciated that until I got it and start using it. This thing is amazing. :thumbsup:

hmm and now writing all this.. I want to go out and use it. :lol: Alas my trails are frozen and covered in snow, so I will have to wait until spring.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:36 pm

This time of year doing trail work is kind of difficult. I do have other work on the house I should be doing. I do take a few breaks from that, and have started to make some signs. So far.....101370101371101372101373101374101375

The painted Gandalf's revenge was a gift... and it was in part what prompted me to get started working on signs. The one below it was my attempt at copying the "font". Gandalf's Revenge..is a long story. I have a trail.. about 1 mile long of single track.. it is pretty tough single track. I wanted something for a name to kind of reflected it's toughness. I then got referred to as Gandalf by a mountain biking friend. I am older.. and have longish white hair and a white beard. So anyways this trail is now known as Gandalf's Revenge. :D

Some of the trail names are "working" names.. names that Laurie and I used while working on them.. some are not that imaginative.. but the names have stuck. The Dug trail is one of those. It was a trail that was bench cut with my tractor the whole way. The 3 bridge trail.. has... you guessed it 3 bridges. It runs along the bottom of a ravine.. criss-crossing a brook a few times.

One side of this ravine.. has a fairly high ridge.. that in some places drops steeply into the ravine. The Gorge of Eternal Peril is the worst of them. It is of course a Monty Python reference. I was talking about that name..with someone and the word eternal kind of stuck out for him.. and mentioned something about temporary unease... and having another hill further down the ridge.. not as steep but still challenging.. sounded better than the name I was thinking of.
Last edited by Fenlason on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:38 pm

hmm the others didn't post above.. :thinking: 101373101372101371101370
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:00 pm

Para- chute is also on this ridge.. it is much shorter fun area.. it is a favorite of mine. This one has always felt like a chute.. but then looking up the word.. it seemed as most chutes.. were water oriented.. except for things like laundry chutes.. mail chutes.. garbage shoots.... I kind of liked para- chute.

Riley's way. I have someone I met through biking.. a nice guy.. oh.. and the guy that first referred to me as Gandalf :lol: Well he does not seem to be that good at following through on rides.. I think we have only ridden together 3 times in the last year. Anyways.. one of my trails runs near a back corner property marker.. there is a very short trail that runs from the trail to the marker. This trail is named after him.. Riley's way. It starts off nice.. but does not go anywhere. :thinking: :NC :rofl: :rofl:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:02 pm

biziedizie wrote:The plaques are a great idea, sure adds to a trail and makes people think of what they mean.
Your trails are looking good :D

Thanks..

The signs should help people to learn their way around a little better. Or when Laurie and I each lead a ride.. we can better communicate where we might want to meet up. While they will be fun.. I think they will serve a very practical purpose.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby lancew » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:59 am

Naming trails is the best ever ! i ride in lots of places with the trails named A...B......C......D...........E, or 1, 1a, 2, 2b, grrrr. i totally agree with Bizie, adds to the trail.
lancew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Fenlason » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:44 am

I have 25 trails named so far. I have more names on my list of potentials.. but fitting a name to a specific trail.. seems to be becoming more work.
Those numbered or lettered trails are starting to look good... :lol:

I do have some good names for some trails on my next door neighbors property... but I am not making any signs for there until after the logging is done.. it just feels "safer"

I guess I need to work on expanding my list of potentials..

I am thinking of naming a trail with a number... a really really big number.. something like 1486B :rofl2:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby rowerwet » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:40 am

cool trails, I get the bug to ride single track trails in between bouts of nordic skating (inline skating using poles for the majority of propulsion), and the ever present boating and boat building bug. when I do, I hit the trails here http://www.fomba.org/ after work. The lack of snow this winter is distressing to me, I got to go cross country skiing three times after work (I use a headlamp with red LED's after dark) then it all went away :x :(
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Noob » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:24 pm

Sooo.... when can we come over ?
Bend the knees, watch the trees, 5$ please.
Noob
The 300 Club

Postby Fenlason » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:45 pm

rowerwet wrote:cool trails, I get the bug to ride single track trails in between bouts of nordic skating (inline skating using poles for the majority of propulsion), and the ever present boating and boat building bug. when I do, I hit the trails here http://www.fomba.org/ after work. The lack of snow this winter is distressing to me, I got to go cross country skiing three times after work (I use a headlamp with red LED's after dark) then it all went away :x :(

Thanks.. I am not too excited about this lack of snow either.. but try to make the best of it.. and find something to do outside. :)
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:49 am

Noob wrote:Sooo.... when can we come over ?

oops.. I did not see this... I was going to say anytime.. but it will of course be more fun in the summer... :D
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:59 am

more signs

I of course have yet to finish them. I need some warmer temps for that. I did run into a little creative block yesterday. I had more good names to use.. and of course many more trails to name, but fitting the name to the trail.. was the problem. I have been working to expand the name list. :D
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby rowerwet » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:16 pm

no moose or bear names?
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Bicycles