Transport propane

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Transport propane

Postby vaddisonme » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:08 pm

I am trying to figure out how to transport my two one-gallon refillable propane tanks. I have read that it is not okay to carry them in the tow vehicle. i don't have room weight-wise or room-wise to put them on the tongue of my trailer, unless I find some other place to stash my spare tire...and even if I moved the spare tire, I think they would make the tongue too heavy. Can I strap them to a tray or container on a hitch rack behind my trailer? Could I transport them inside my trailer if I devised some kind of carrier to keep them upright? And what to do to keep the pricey little guys from walking off from the campsite....... ideas for transporting propane tanks or photos of your solutions, if you have time to share them here. Thanks.
The Marshmallow pulling our Sweet Potato.
vaddisonme
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Transport propane

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:26 am

I have the next size up a 7 or 8 pounder and chose to mount it in the tongue box. It is hard plumbed with iron pipe and only a very short connecting hose. There is a vent grate in the floor of the box and a puck that fits the bottom chime so it can not walk when the lid is shut.

Here is the tongue box before it was cleaned and painted

Here is a pic with the tank just tossed it in to try for size

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby vaddisonme » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:53 am

And the lid doesn't hit the top part when you close it?
vaddisonme
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:26 pm

I just got dumb lucky they just touch !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby vaddisonme » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:40 pm

So, I found an aluminum tongue box that weighs about 23 lbs and I think will fit on the tongue of my trailer..providing the jack doesn't hit it http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200343627. It will make the tongue weight a little heavier than I'd like, but would hold both of the 4.25 lb tanks (which are about 9" on diameter and 12" high). If I were to install that, would I need to drill a bunch of holes in the bottom to vent the propane tanks? Or would it be a better option to install something like this http://www.americanvan.com/steel-tank-h ... escription? Then I could attach the spare tire to a hitch on the back of the trailer, which would hopefully lighten up the tongue weight some. :roll: Seems like any one thing I do will effect so many other things!
vaddisonme
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vaddisonme » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:49 pm

Oh yes....and I'd have to saw off the spare tire attachment currently welded on the tongue of the trailer. It's a big sturdy thing...
vaddisonme
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:10 am

We have a 25# translucent tank (you can see the propane level) but then It feeds the cook top water heater and gas grill. It is in a custom made holder. 100408
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby vaddisonme » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:41 pm

Where did you go to get the holder made? (Or did you make it yourself?). I think a custom holder like that would be the lightest way to handle the issue..but where to get one made.... :roll:
vaddisonme
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Elizabeth C. » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:48 am

I made propane lockers for both of our 10 lb tanks,they are lockable to keep the tanks from "walking off". There is one on the rear running board for the stove, and the other on the tongue to use with the shower unit.

Components used to make the lockers.All from local big box store.

These could be scaled down easily and made with less expensive materials if desired.
Anyway, just one of many options,
later,
Dr. C-Dawg
Our build in e-book form "The Teardrop Year" available at e-book, book or pdf at book or pdf

Read my Hubbys version here: CrowsWing Teardrop
Elizabeth C.
Donating Member

Postby vaddisonme » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:07 pm

Wow! Those are beautiful containers!!!!! :D
vaddisonme
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dale M. » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:04 am

What you want to keep in mind is propane tanks when over heated in enclosed space can blow off excessive pressures... Or just plain have a leak at any threaded connections.... One ALWAYS wants to have some vent of some sort at BOTTOM of storage unit/container, and propane is heavier than air (specific gravity) and will always settle downwards, so it will eventually flow out and be diluted in surrounding air if you have vent at bottom of storage container....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby vaddisonme » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:27 pm

Dale, Do you think that 10 small holes drilled at the bottom of tongue box would do it, or wold t be better to cut out a section and replace with metal mesh? I am still thinking this through. I currently have the spare tire on a mount in the front, which is very convenient, but then I don't end up with a good place for the propane.
there is one other possiblity, but quite frankly, it would really alter the look of the trailer and It would interfere with where we store our outside shoes at night. I could maybe bolt a carrier to the top of the wheel well diamond plate on each side....but it seems a shame to do so. Sigh. I wish there was an easy clearcut best-way solution! I am just thinking out loud here. Option are:

1) Cut off the front tire mount, store tire in TV, attach mounting device to front of tongue, OR
2) cut off tire mount, store tire in TV, mount tongue box with holes or mesh adaptation to allow for venting on front tongue - and risk tongue plus propane being a little too heavy- but could possibly counter this with how we load the back of the sweet potato, OR
3) Be risky, especially in hot weather, and travel with propane strapped into crates in back of trailer, OR
4) Attach tanks to top of wheel well ( thiugh I don't know if that is permitted since they are not being stored "within the frame of the trailer) OR
5) don't take them with us.

Am I missing any oer options here???
vaddisonme
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Bogo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:12 pm

Holes should be fine for venting. Especially if the lid doesn't seal air tight.
Bogo
500 Club

Postby vaddisonme » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:02 pm

But I am in Texas, and if they were in my car on a hot day-when temperatures are n the 100's.. well it wouldn't be good. :frightened: I am leaning towards the tongue box idea.
vaddisonme
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dale M. » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:22 pm

slowcowboy wrote:I got a 5 pound small pancake bottle and I am fond of jamming it between the front bucket seeat on the passnger side and the middle seat in my suv. sometimes I wrap it in coats I do a 20 lb barbaque the same way.

no frills and no worrys.

been lots of miles transporting them this way.

slow

Just because you have gotten away with it so far does not make it safe.....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets