Gluten & Dairy free (+++) recipes - Help

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Gluten & Dairy free (+++) recipes - Help

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:20 pm

Well, folks, I'm always giving advice; but, it never dawned on me to ask for advice/help with my problem until today.

I have a number of dietary intolerances and the list just grew some more, with the additional no-no of dairy.
This one is making me pout because I'm missing some of my most favorite foods and recipes...no more mac & cheese, etc.
Presently, I seem to still be able to use rice/rice milk products and soy/soy milk products (except soy cheese...that one makes me sick).
The hardest, for me, seems to be coming up with camping recipes with things that don't need refrigeration.

Below is a list of things that the recipes can not include. :cry:

Gluten (anything with wheat, rye, barley,spelt, tritcale, kamut, some oats, or derivatives of these)
Grain based alcohols that have not been distilled
Beers and Ales containing wheat or barley
Cloves, oils, and related extracts
Grape seeds, oils, and related extracts
Walnuts & Almonds
Dairy & both lactose & casein containing foods

(I hope to use this thread to list recipes, mine and those you give me, especially camping/pantry recipes.)

Does anyone out there on the forum share my dismay and have some recipes that you have made, fitting the bill?
Do you have any ideas or recipes that will get me off my pouting gig and back into the galley, cooking? :worship:
Last edited by S. Heisley on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Gluten & Dairy free (+++) recipes - Can you help?

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:34 pm

Okay, I'll start this with my favorite, to date:

Black Bean Succotash

1 Can Lima Beans, rinsed and drained
1 Can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
1 Can Corn, drained
2 Carrots, cut not wider than ¾ inch and thinly sliced into pieces, about 1/8 inch thick
2 Green Onions, chopped
¼ Cup Olive or other vegetable oil
Juice of 1 lemon
1 Tsp Cilantro
1 Tsp Oregano
1 Tsp Chopped Chives
2 Tsp Chopped Parsley
1/8 to ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper (optional*)
Salt & Black Pepper to taste

Mix and serve!

* The Cayenne gives it a nice subtle kick. I use 1/4 tsp; but, if fixing it for someone who can't handle hot spices, try 1/8 tsp.

(Please recognize that, together, black beans with corn make a complete protein; and, therefore, this salad could be used as a one-dish meal.)

(Gluten, Dairy free & Vegan)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby jmkjr72 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:24 pm

one of my youth has a gluten issue
so we have switched all our cobblers over to gluten free busquick

i dont know what to do about the dairy issue with the butter for the cobbler as
i have heard good things about earth balance as a non dairy butter but have never used it

put your pie fruit in the do(you do have to watch the pie filling cans to make sure they are gluten free wilderness brand is safe)
mix the bisquick with your fav soda we like root beer or cream soda
spread mix over top of pie filling
cover with brown sugar and cinnamon
then put pads of non dairy butter subs on top
jmkjr72
Teardrop Builder

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:55 pm

jmkjr72 wrote:one of my youth has a gluten issue
so we have switched all our cobblers over to gluten free busquick

i dont know what to do about the dairy issue with the butter for the cobbler as
i have heard good things about earth balance as a non dairy butter but have never used it

put your pie fruit in the do(you do have to watch the pie filling cans to make sure they are gluten free wilderness brand is safe)
mix the bisquick with your fav soda we like root beer or cream soda
spread mix over top of pie filling
cover with brown sugar and cinnamon
then put pads of non dairy butter subs on top

Thanks for the tip! :D I made a gluten free version of Rootbeer Cobbler and uploaded the recipe to our recipe section last year...can't find it now....
But cream soda????? What a good idea!!!! I never thought of that! I'll bet that would be good when used to make blueberry cobbler! :applause:
Earth Balance is the best dairy-free margarine spread that I have found. :thumbsup:

Below is the Gluten-free version of the previously listed Root Beer Cobbler. There aren't any GF spice cake mixes that I know of; so, the added spices and molasses work to make it taste like I used a spice cake mix:

Root Beer Cobbler (GF)

2 Tablespoons Earth Balance margarine (dairy free)
2 Cans GF apple pie filling (16oz)

1 Package Pamela’s or other (Betty Crocker?) GF yellow cake mix
1 Teaspoon cinnamon
1 Teaspoon allspice

12 Ounces Root Beer
1 Tablespoon molasses

Using a large oven-proof casserole dish (home baking) or a 12-quart cast iron Dutch oven (camping), spread margarine on the bottom. Pour apple pie filling into the casserole or Dutch oven.

Thoroughly mix spices into the cake mix and sprinkle the mix evenly over the apples.

Thoroughly mix the molasses and Root Beer together. With the end of a fork or spoon, make a swirl in the cake mix and then pour the molasses-Root Beer mix over the cake mix.

If using an oven-proof casserole dish, bake at 350 for about 1 hour, or until golden brown on top.

If using a cast iron Dutch oven, cover with lid. Put 8-10 white-hot charcoal briquettes on bottom, 16-18 on top. Cook for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or to a golden brown.

Note: GF = Gluten Free
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:58 pm

Gluten, Dairy Free, quick and easy dinners. For this one you don't need a recipe, just a little imagination.

I was thinking about this and thought of foods that could be prepared ahead of time but would be versatile enough to make several different types of meals. Rice bowls came to mind. You could season and cook beef, chicken and pork cut into small pieces and frozen in zip lock bags. I often put sandwich bags with varying items in them and place all the small bags in a gallon ziplock to keep moisture out in the cooler. Cook rice before you go to camping to save time. Add an assortment of fresh veggies to the mix and you can have different fresh hot meals for several days. Less than 10 minutes to make dinner. Of course this wouldn't work for those epic trips of several weeks, unless you take time every now and then to buy fresh and cook. For me, cooking while camping is a big part of the fun.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:27 pm

Thanks, Steve. :thumbsup: I often take cooked meat with me for short trips. The advantage of cooking the meat before a trip is that the meat is more stable and can be kept longer. It also saves time and fuel at the camp site. This works well for short trips of maybe a week or less, assuming one has a large long term (stays cool 5 days or more) ice chest/cooler and/or can get more ice when needed.

Speaking of rice bowls and rice dishes, below is a favorite vegan recipe that uses cashews instead of meat:

Curried Cashew Rice

This is an easy, colorful dish can be made at home with frozen vegetables. It can also be used as an emergency or ‘extend-the-camp-stay’ meal by using dried or canned vegetables and planned packed staples. Instant brown rice is used because it takes less time; thereby, using less fuel. While it can be used as a side dish, Curried Cashew Rice is intended to be eaten as a meatless main course/casserole. Mixing cashews, rice, and peas makes a complete protein without need for fresh or canned meat.

2 Cups Chicken or Vegetable Flavored Broth/Bouillon
1 Cup Instant Brown Rice, uncooked
2 Tablespoons Margarine or Oil (I like Earth Balance Dairy-free margarine)
½ Teaspoon Curry
¼ Teaspoon Turmeric
¼ Teaspoon Garlic Powder

1 Cup Cashews
2 Cups Frozen, Dried or Canned Peas and Carrots or Mixed Vegetables.

If using frozen vegetables: Bring the first six ingredients to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the cashews and vegetables. Bring to a boil again and lower to a simmer for another 4 to 5 minutes or until the rice and vegetables are done to your liking.

If using dehydrated vegetables: While the rice is cooking, soak 1 cup dried vegetables in about 1 cup of water. After rice has cooked 10 minutes, drain and add vegetables to the rice mixture. Bring to a boil again and lower to simmer for another 4 to 5 minutes or until done to taste.

If using canned vegetables: Bring the first six ingredients to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 12 to 14 minutes or until rice is done. Add the cashews and vegetables and heat until the vegetables are just warmed through. (Remember that canned vegetables are already over-cooked; so, heat them minimally. Frozen vegetables work best in this dish, better than canned. Adding canned vegetables will give a less than best flavor and texture.)

…Serves 4.

This recipe was adapted from an actual East Indian recipe, which originally used hing and ghee. Hing is an unpleasant smelling spice that tastes similar to onion or garlic. Ghee is simply clarified butter. For this version, the hing is replaced with garlic; and the ghee, with a butter-like spread or olive oil. The curry, turmeric, and garlic powder can be varied according to ones tastes; however, please remember that the curry and turmeric are what give this dish that hint of East Indian flair and add the pleasant yellow tones to contrast with the green and orange of the peas and carrots or mixed vegetables.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:41 pm

...Just finished this recipe yesterday:

Toasted Maple Pecan Raisin Granola

This is a good one when you’re in a hurry to break camp and get on the road or for anyone with kids because it is an instant type of breakfast. Just hand each child a zip-lock bag and let them decide if they want to eat it on the run or sit down with a spoon, bowl, and “milk”. If the child spills a little of the granola on the ground, a chipmunk, squirrel or bird will be happy to clean it up for them! (Raisins are poison to dogs; so, pick those up.)
-----
In a small sauce pan, mix together the following:

¼ Cup Salad Oil
¼ Cup Real maple syrup
2 Tablespoons Brown sugar

Stirring until well mixed, bring to a rolling boil and boil for about 30 seconds, continuing to stir.
Remove from the heat source and allow the mixture to cool.
-----
While the syrup mixture is cooling, roll or grind (a blender works great) ½ cup GF rolled oats until it looks like whole wheat flour.

Place the ½ cup ground oats in a bowl and mix well with the following:

1 ½ Cup GF rolled oats
½ Cup chopped pecans
½ Cup raisins
2 Tablespoons dried egg whites*

When the syrup mixture is no longer hot, drizzle it over the oat mixture and stir in well.
Spread the mixture on a dry cookie sheet and bake at about 350 degrees for approximately 10 minutes or until the mixture starts to brown. Watch the mixture carefully so it doesn’t burn. When mixture has browned to your liking, remove the cookie sheet from the oven and allow it to cool. When cooled, use a spatula or pancake turner to carefully turn over the cluster groupings and return the mixture to the oven for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until the turned side starts to brown. Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and allow the mixture to cool before storing in zip-lock baggies and/or air-tight containers. Snack-sized zip-lock baggies are close to the perfect size for individual servings.

Storage:
The mixture should keep for about 2 weeks at room temperature (think cookies). However, you can make it ahead and keep it longer if you freeze it in baggies until you are ready to use it. (Again, it will keep for about as long as a cookie would this way.) But, it’s so good that it probably won’t be around long enough to worry about that!

…Makes 4 to 6 servings.

GF = Gluten Free
* I use DEB EL Just Whites brand
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Gluten & Dairy free (+++) recipes - Help

Postby celticquetzel » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:54 pm

On a Costa Rican tour we had beans and rice as a side with most meals. We now use everything from white rice to mixed grains to wild rice mixed with black or pinto canned beans (drain and rinse first). Some of the rice blends only take 15 minutes to cook. We add whatever is handy... onions, veggies, egg, sausage, leftovers. Top with salsa. You'll never miss the dairy. As I am also dairy free this has become a standard base as you can eat it plain or fancy it up... and make it in one pot. Can be reheated. And served for any meal.
celticquetzel
Teardrop Master

Postby MtnDon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:13 pm

Ghee is simply clarified butter.

Ghee is more than clarified butter. It has more water removed and because it is heated longer the milk solids get caramelized. That imparts a nutty flavor. Ghee will keep for months without refrigeration. Most people who have some dairy sensitivities can consume ghee with no issues. I have no problem with ghee. I test to have both lactose and casein sensitivities. Ghee has virtually none of those left. I make our own ghee.

If interested, here's how. Start with organic butter, saltfree, grass fed if you can. Place the sticks in a glass dish. Cover with an antu spatter scree. Place in a 270 F oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. It's ready when the milk solids are looking and smelling toasted. Remove from oven Filter thru a coffee filter. I find one large 10 cup filter good to filter what started out as a lb. of butter. Filter when hot otherwise it won't pass through the filter paper.

I make 2 to 3 lbs. at a time. I use 12 - 14 ounce glass jars. Most go in the fridge except the one we use for daily cooking and spreading. That one stores in the cupboard. It stays as a soft solid at room temperature.

~~~~~~~~

For a dairy cheese substitute try Daiya Cheese. Three varieties, cheddar, mozzarella & pepper jack. Available in shredded form only. It's not the same as dairy cheese, nothing is, but we like it as the cheese for enchiladas, burritos, scrambled eggs.

~~~~~~~~

Gluten free rice pasta from De Boles is pretty good. It is critical not to overcook. I buy it from Amazon in boxes of 12 using their subscribe & save program. Much cheaper than any local grocery sources.

~~~~~~~~

Glutenfreeda has a gluten free oatmeal that is good. Amazon again for a better price.

~~~~~~~~

Pamela's makes some nice gluten free foods. We love the Brownies and the Pancake mixes. Amazon again once you find something you really like. Their cookies are pretty good when a cookie fix is craved.

~~~~~~~~

Amy's Foods has some gluten free canned and frozen foods I like.

~~~~~~~~

Frequently it is hard to find gluten and dairy free in the same box/can/bar/jar. :(
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:19 pm

Wow! Thank you! I started this thread just shy of a year ago; and found that there was little interest; so, didn't pursue it. I received one PM response that suggested that I might be looking in the wrong direction for a healthy diet.

Yes, I use rice and do eat beans a couple times a week. However I am back on meat as my vegan doctor told me that she had found that a meat-based diet would be better for me. I decided to mix the two by eating vegan a couple times a week. Also, I keep my eyes open to new ideas and recipes that lend themselves to camp cooking.

I have found some good dairy substitutes, using mostly almond milk, Earth Balance margarines, and Daiya dairy-free cheeses. I have even found a substitute for nonfat dry milk, a product called DairiFree. I have even cooked for others, using my newly found skills and have gotten rave reviews. (Good friends will take the chance, even if they think it might be a disaster...it isn't.) Guests especially like an easy egg casserole that I make, using potatoes O'Brien, sausage, eggs, and slices of chopped Daiya cheddar. (It should be noted that Daiya cheeses do not have as much protein as dairy cheeses; so, are more of a flavor enhancer.) I make what I think is a spectacular gluten-free, dairy-free pizza that is so good, it is nearly impossible to eat just one piece.

Below was my first attempt at a no real cheese pizza. Look! No Dairy ...and it melts!

At first, I was in a quandary about visiting friends and relatives or even going to potlucks. People don't seem to realize that butter and most margarines contain dairy. They also don't realize that just switching spoons from one dish to another can contaminate a gluten free/dairy free dish, causing someone to get sick. However, what I found was that, if someone has a food intolerance, it is perfectly okay to bring your own food or even bring dehydrated food as most everyone has hot water available to reconstitute with. After all, you can make most anything that is on the potluck table to suit your own dietary limitations. For people with food intolerances, the potluck experience becomes more about the people and less about the food.

It's been a long year of learning, getting sick, and learning some more; but, yes, there is life after gluten and/or dairy are removed from the diet...better health, too!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:43 pm

MtnDon: Thank you for the tips on Ghee. I can buy it in small amounts at the local health food store; so, just to be on the safe side, I will buy and try it first, before trying to make it.

I do sometimes eat GlutenFreeda, Daiya, and certain GF/DF products made by Amy's and Pamela's. I have not tried DeBoles pasta but have tried and love Tinkyada pastas.

Another product that I am becoming fond of is Quinoa. Quinoa is higher in protein than most grains and can be used most anywhere that rice is used. One can also purchase a nice spaghetti noodle that is made from quinoa. If you buy quinoa, purchase packages that are pre-washed for your first try, if you can. It is not tasty until it is washed.

I have done some dabbling with Teff, another very nutritious grain. Originating from Ethiopia, it is the smallest grain in the world and has a somewhat sweet, hint of molasses-like flavor.

Bob's Red Mill has been increasing the number of gluten-free products that they produce and these are usually easy to find, either in a higher grade grocery store or through the Internet.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:25 pm

Here's one that some of you might be interested in:

Vegan Parmesan Cheese Sprinkles

3 parts almond meal *
1 part yeast flakes
+ Salt to taste

Put all in a shaker and shake well.

...Tastes and looks like ... Parmesan Cheese!

*If you are allergic to almonds, you can substitute ground pine nuts
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:01 pm

Hi Sharon,

I have found that fajitas are a great meal to have, especially if you can do the meat.
Fajitas allow you to have an assortment of veggies, rice, beans, meats, and you can find tortillas now that will fit your criteria. When cooking for a crowd that may have a variety of food allergies/intolerances, or eating preferences, you just put out the items and people can pick and choose, a Fajita Bar. Vegetarians can skip the meat and have the rice and beans, put out both flour and corn tortillas for those needing a dietary choice, and plenty of veggies like red/green bell peppers, onions, etc. I often skip using oil for heating the tortilla and fry "dry".

I have also found an explosion of gluten-free products out now at our local Grocery Outlet, WalMart, and other grocery stores. I have also recommended to people who do go to potlucks that you should always bring something you like to eat, and can eat, and serve yourself up a bowl first before giving it out to the group. That way you always have a dish you can count on and trust to NOT make you feel ill.

And Teff is now being touted as the new SuperFood of 2014. You'll be seeing and hearing much more about this in the coming year.

Joanie
TDN :R
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:33 am

Thanks for your advice and suggestions, Joanie.

I am doing so very much better, these days. I'm even starting to get back some of my energy. Also, I have found that I can drink Almond milk products. (Almond milk tastes a lot better than rice or soy milk.)

Yes, Mexican-style food lends itself nicely to my diet, especially with the Daiya cheeses now available. Oils don't seem to be a problem, as long as they aren't combined with dairy substances.

Thanks again, Joanie. I'm looking forward to seeing you during our next Jefferson state season of camping!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby MtnDon » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:20 pm

My wife loves Almond milk as well as Hemp Milk. Me, I have to deal with a tree nuts sensitivity so I normally stay away from it. I may use small amounts in cooking but only for a few special things and then only a touch.

Tonight's dinner.... forgot to take a photo.
Quantities are "more or less"... and most ingredients were organic (O).
Brown a 1/2 C of diced onions (I used organic sweet onion)
Set aside
Brown 1/2 lb. ground elk (can't get much more organic than wild elk.)
When about done mix in the onions and...
2 C precooked brown rice
1/2 C+ frozen corn (Whole Foods 365 O), precooked
2/3 C black beans (WF 365 O in "boxes" not cans)
1/3 C+ green Chili Sauce (El Pinto brand... it's chopped not the pureed type of sauce... local to my area; and best there is. Not organic but good stuff. Their mild is more like medium to me.
Salt to taste
Topped with some Daiya cheddar cheese
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1