Potties and showers

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Potties and showers

Postby WMassHikers » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:47 pm

Hi ladies,
We have used the double bag system for toilet issues at night. Last summer our teenage daughter gave my husband and I a terrible fright when she explained that she had left the kids' tent and walked up to the bathrooms by herself late at night. We have two younger children too, who we want to be able to relieve themselves at night, if needed, or first thing in the morning if they get up before us. Is a Thetford portable potty a good idea? Also, what solutions do people have to showering at national park campgrounds with no showers?
Thanks in advance for the tips! :)
WMassHikers
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:25 pm

Re: Potties and showers

Postby Jacquie » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:43 pm

Ok now I feel like an idiot. The above posting is my own. When I "upgraded" to Tapatalk HD, somehow it didn't recognize this account and I managed to make a WMassHikers one. I'm deleting that account to avoid further confusion.
User avatar
Jacquie
Donating Member
 
Posts: 53
Images: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: MA

Re: Potties and showers

Postby PKCSPT » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:38 pm

In answer to your shower question when I am in the National Forest I just jump in the lake and rinse off. If I feel the need to wash my hair I warm up some water over the cmpfire.
I tried to use a shower tent but it was still wwhen I put it away the next dy.
141240 145569147706
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 1507
Images: 60
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:27 pm
Location: Minnesota
Top

Re: Potties and showers

Postby Jacquie » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:23 pm

Thanks! We just had a family discussion with the kids and discussed the wag bags with loo set up. We explained that it would be a lot easier to throw out the bags of waste versus dealing with the black water tank. When we discussed the various disposal options they saw the wisdom of the bags. Plus, the idea of trying to find a place to store the potty was unappealing. Good point about the wet shower shelter would be an issue. With five people I think we better opt for places with showers. Thank you!

We are starting to warm to the idea of some day doing a cargo conversion to allow for the restroom facilities....
User avatar
Jacquie
Donating Member
 
Posts: 53
Images: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: MA
Top

Re: Potties and showers

Postby lancew » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:18 pm

my husband i use the double dootie bags for the pottie. when it comes to the shower, my husband used 3/4 pvc pipe, made a frame. i bought 2 shower curtains to wrap around the pvc frame. we bought a ZOIC shower that runs off 4 D batteries. Husband warms up the water on the fire and dumps it into a 5 gallon bucket. TA DAHHH. Fabulous ! oh and far as being wet when time to pack up, never had this problem. only drawback is it does take a few minutes to set this up. IMO, its worth it.
User avatar
lancew
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:29 pm
Top

Re: Potties and showers

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:50 pm

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=31771

I strongly recommend reading this thread. I have a plastic flushing portapotty and will always have one. I take it every time because I will not go out at night if I am alone. It is a pain to clean but doesn't tip and spill.

For kids almost anything will work. I have seen even kitty litter used in a Lugable loo...this is a 5 gallon bucket with a seat...

All of my girls know not to go to the facilities alone. We drive it in. :o
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
User avatar
Miriam C.
our Aunti M
 
Posts: 19673
Images: 149
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: Southwest MO
Top

Re: Potties and showers

Postby Jacquie » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:23 pm

lancew wrote:my husband i use the double dootie bags for the pottie. when it comes to the shower, my husband used 3/4 pvc pipe, made a frame. i bought 2 shower curtains to wrap around the pvc frame. we bought a ZOIC shower that runs off 4 D batteries. Husband warms up the water on the fire and dumps it into a 5 gallon bucket. TA DAHHH. Fabulous ! oh and far as being wet when time to pack up, never had this problem. only drawback is it does take a few minutes to set this up. IMO, its worth it.


Thank you for the shower idea! Where does the grey water go? The campgrounds that we've been to require grey water tanks.
User avatar
Jacquie
Donating Member
 
Posts: 53
Images: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: MA
Top

Re: Potties and showers

Postby Jacquie » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:28 pm

Miriam C. wrote:http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=31771

I strongly recommend reading this thread. I have a plastic flushing portapotty and will always have one. I take it every time because I will not go out at night if I am alone. It is a pain to clean but doesn't tip and spill.

For kids almost anything will work. I have seen even kitty litter used in a Lugable loo...this is a 5 gallon bucket with a seat...

All of my girls know not to go to the facilities alone. We drive it in. :o


Thank you Miriam. My eldest is now keenly aware of the dangers of ever doing that again. Besides figuring that it was a bad idea by my look of horror when she told me I also told her that very bad things can happen. It's sad when innocence and naïveté is washed away, but being forewarned is forearmed and will hopefully keep her safe for years to come.

I will look again at the above thread. It's the where and how to lug it and set it up that's the issue. Thanks again!
User avatar
Jacquie
Donating Member
 
Posts: 53
Images: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: MA
Top

Re: Potties and showers

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:30 pm

I don't know what she does but I've asked this question before. The best answer to date came from Starleen2 (Scott). He stands in a plastic wash tub and lets the gray water run down into it. Then, he takes it to the bathroom or dump site and dumps it there.
User avatar
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member
 
Posts: 8058
Images: 488
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:02 am
Location: No. California
Top

Re: Potties and showers

Postby lancew » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:42 pm

Jacquie wrote:
lancew wrote:my husband i use the double dootie bags for the pottie. when it comes to the shower, my husband used 3/4 pvc pipe, made a frame. i bought 2 shower curtains to wrap around the pvc frame. we bought a ZOIC shower that runs off 4 D batteries. Husband warms up the water on the fire and dumps it into a 5 gallon bucket. TA DAHHH. Fabulous ! oh and far as being wet when time to pack up, never had this problem. only drawback is it does take a few minutes to set this up. IMO, its worth it.


Thank you for the shower idea! Where does the grey water go? The campgrounds that we've been to require grey water tanks.



into the ground. we stand on a old towel, wash our stink off. never heard of campgrounds requiring grey tanks. crazy !
User avatar
lancew
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:29 pm
Top

Re: Potties and showers

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:00 pm

Grey water is not real good in congested areas. We don't have a lot of phosphate in soap now but it really isn't good for animals or my fishin. :D Imagine a million people....

I have some bath wipes you can get from the store that are very good also. I usually camp with showers but thinking of some wild areas soon so keeping ideas. I really think a bucket will work but I am an old hill billy. ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
User avatar
Miriam C.
our Aunti M
 
Posts: 19673
Images: 149
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: Southwest MO
Top

Re: Potties and showers

Postby rebapuck » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:34 pm

I use to use a portapottie. Hated emptying it. Then I tried the wagbags. Loved the convenience of the bags but the foldable toilet stand gave way under me. Next time, I'm putting the bag in the portapottie bowl. My camper has a special spot for the pottie so I'm good.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
Image
User avatar
rebapuck
.
 
Posts: 2216
Images: 1
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Chapel Hill NC
Top

Re: Potties and showers

Postby deleted » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:24 am

I purchased a Thetford porta pottie and I don't even have my trailer yet! :) I am going to keep it in the trailer with me because mine will be a bit higher inside than a traditional teardrop, though it's not a standy. I'm going to build a lightweight wood cabinet to keep it in just to conceal it and have it blend in with the other cabinets that will comprise my galley area that will be on the interior, rather than the rear, of the trailer.

I took the Thetford on a two night stay at a cabin with no running water and it worked great. No muss, no fuss. The way the water rinses the bowl when you flush is genius. The clean up is easy with the large spout that you unscrew, pour, and re-cover. I blogged about the toilet design with close up photos I'll share here but for more details you can visit the post at http://theflirtyguide.blogspot.com/2012 ... tural.html

Image
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1233
Images: 85
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:46 pm
Top

Re: Potties and showers

Postby T@Baker » Thu May 02, 2013 6:53 pm

I'm a Luggable Loo fan. Already had the bucket so just bought the seat w/lid. Love that thing. In the morning I just remove the bag, zip, and toss. The bucket holds other items while enroute.
Crystal -
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says, "Oh, crap. She's up."
User avatar
T@Baker
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 183
Images: 8
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:55 pm
Location: IL
Top

Re: Potties and showers

Postby Backroads4me » Thu May 02, 2013 10:58 pm

Here's our homemade version of the luggable loo. Used an 18 inch taller bucket. Bob had made the seat decades ago, but I asked him to put a durable finish on it--easier to wipe down with a sanitizer cloth and no chance of splinters. Also a hinged lid---when closed it's strong enough to sit on for tying shoes, etc. In the picture, the hinges aren't all the way down yet.

Image
Deb

Image
User avatar
Backroads4me
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 282
Images: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:02 pm
Location: Central Wisconsin
Top

Next

Return to Lady Teardroppers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests