in camp meatloaf

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

in camp meatloaf

Postby bobhenry » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:13 am

I was asked this morning for my meatloaf recipe so this is the same answer given in the P.M. I thought I would share it for anyone who might care to try it.

There is absolutely no way you can screw up meatloaf......

I use 2 parts hamburger to 1 part sausage (A good mile country sausage ) A finely diced onion. If you don't mind it a bit loose some well drained (blotted almost dry) fire roasted tomatoes. And any red liquid in the fridge. [No Kidding]. Ketchup, steak sauce,Worsterschier (sp) sauce, french dressing. Here is where it gets a bit strange brown mustard (don't be bashful) and a dash of cocktail sauce or simply some horseradish are almost must have ingredients.

As a filler binder crushed crackers or oats and an egg. Keebler town house crackers are my favorite. Add till a handful of the meat mixture makes a loose ball.

A warning about red liquid ..... go very gentle with spaghetti sauce or taco sauce as the herbs start to take over the taste of the loaf but you can add a dab of either ( or both).

Surprisingly salsa works great in greater quanity but I still use it in moderation.

OPTIONS ....

I love to add a dozen or so pepperoncinies chillies and a dash of the juice for a bit more bold flavor. It is not as hot as you might think because as the chillies cook they get milder and milder. (I am getting to the point in my life where really wild hot is simply pain.)

I also love adding color with red and yellow peppers I personally avoid the green peppers as their flavor can take over.

COOKING IN CAMP....

When I fix it in the dutch oven I have a flat bottomed collander that I cook it in inside the oven. (this trick keeps the loaf up out of the grease and prevents the bottom from burning) You need about 400 degrees for better than an hour ?? A 12" D.O. takes about 8 bricketts on the bottom and 22 on top. I simply slice down the middle and be sure the tell tale pink is gone however ,a good meat thermometer is a better way. I look for 160 degrees internal near the center.

I never mix it the exact same way EVER and it's always great so don't get hung up on measuring after all the experimantation is half of the fun.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: in camp meatloaf

Postby Kathy53 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:23 pm

Why not top that with meatloaf salsa. 1 small can of diced green chili, 1 can of diced stewed tomatoes, catalina dressing (I use fat free but regular works to) about half a bottle but you can use the whole bottle, diced onions and mince garlic. Chill for about a hour.
Kathy53
The 300 Club

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1