Penguino II

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Penguino II

Postby Catherine+twins » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:59 pm

(Or, why to NOT let your penguin-obsessed son name your trailer...) :lol:

Dear son is starting to complain about not having his man-cave (boy-cave, dear daughter and I correct) any more, so it is time to start the new build. I need to buy a new hitch coupler (I'm advised to get the a-frame coupler that should fit my HF trailer), and then the trailer should be good. I'm off work tomorrow (working Saturday night instead), and after DD gets her final x-ray and gets her arm brace off, we'll be off to the big box for foam and pieces and parts. I may only have my step-dad's garage for this weekend and next, so we need to get a move on!

(DD scares me to death at gymnastics class, then falls off her skate scooter and breaks her arm. Her middle name is Grace--wishful thinking!) :frightened:

We'll be MUCH safer camping!!!!

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Re: Penguino II

Postby GPW » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:19 am

Catherine , we wish you the Best of Luck on the new Penguino .... We’ll be here to help should you need it !!! :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:07 am

Catherine, I'm excited to watch your next build. :)
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:29 am

Sorry, can't help myself... the irony of "we'll be much safer camping" followed by your signature photo of #1 all keeled over on her side.

But really, after seeing your vid's of the twins romping and being so carefree rollicking in the sand dunes, there is absolutely no criticism intended, just the apparent twist... juxtaposition.

Kids will be kids. Who of us have not suffered the pains of finding our personal limits (I have broken my right arm by landing on it after the ole foot powered ejector seat trick, and was nearly crippled... but only suffered a broken hand when a double wide garage door hit me when I was too young to reliably get it open on the first try. Later in life as a big kid, I rode my dirt bike over a loose boulder in the fall leaves and ended up crashing into a big oak tree, chipping a bone in my wrist). These things will heal.

You are obviously doing a great job as a parent and I applaud your "stick to it" build philosophy.

(Hope I got all of those references right... sometimes the threads all run together in one big blur for me... forest and the trees effect. Just try to avoid the big oak trees!)
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:47 am

KCStudly wrote:Sorry, can't help myself... the irony of "we'll be much safer camping" followed by your signature photo of #1 all keeled over on her side.

But really, after seeing your vid's of the twins romping and being so carefree rollicking in the sand dunes, there is absolutely no criticism intended, just the apparent twist... juxtaposition.

Kids will be kids. Who of us have not suffered the pains of finding our personal limits (I have broken my right arm by landing on it after the ole foot powered ejector seat trick, and was nearly crippled... but only suffered a broken hand when a double wide garage door hit me when I was too young to reliably get it open on the first try. Later in life as a big kid, I rode my dirt bike over a loose boulder in the fall leaves and ended up crashing into a big oak tree, chipping a bone in my wrist). These things will heal.

You are obviously doing a great job as a parent and I applaud your "stick to it" build philosophy.

(Hope I got all of those references right... sometimes the threads all run together in one big blur for me... forest and the trees effect. Just try to avoid the big oak trees!)

:thumbsup:

Penguino? :lol: Humor makes life better.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:12 am

Catherine , what was the eventual fate of #1 ?? Did I miss you hacking it up ... ? :shock:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:28 pm

Good to see you jumping right back onto that horse, Catherine.
Looking forward to seeing the changes you make as you build the Mk II version.

:thumbsup:
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby Catherine+twins » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:37 am

GPW wrote:Catherine , what was the eventual fate of #1 ?? Did I miss you hacking it up ... ? :shock:

Ah,we stripped it down to the floor platform, mostly without pictures. I plan to add another 1/4 inch plywood underneath, partly for support, partly to replace the corner that got shaved off. I'll put up the pictures I have tomorrow, if I have time. :D
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby Catherine+twins » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:49 am

KCStudly wrote:Sorry, can't help myself... the irony of "we'll be much safer camping" followed by your signature photo of #1 all keeled over on her side.

:lol: Haha. You're right, that's a great unintended image! And you did great on the references. I'm glad you enjoyed our Sand Dunes trip. It was great fun!

I know broken bones, not to mention scrapes and bruises, heal. But I sometimes wonder how any of us survive our childhoods!
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby Catherine+twins » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:31 pm

So here we are today, just a deck that needs a bit of work.

On the left front corner (that is, the lower right in the picture), you can see where some of the floor/deck was scrubbed away by contact at speed with the highway. Here's a closer look.

This is the corner the trailer is resting on in my sig line. :(

I checked, and I have until March 29 to use my step-dad's garage. :D

Catherine
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby KCStudly » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:09 pm

As a good friend of mine would say, "piece of cake, German f...ing chocolate". :shock:
But seriously, you can do it! Just take it one step at a time and build on. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:54 am

C+T, you know , that’s really Not a lot of damage .... could easily fix that ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Catherine+twins » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:06 pm

GPW wrote:C+T, you know , that’s really Not a lot of damage .... could easily fix that ... :thinking:

I agree. I'm not scrapping the floor! In fact, I have considered just gluing the walls up with no more wood at all, and filling any gaps with spray foam. :lol:

Wind season has started, so I'm glad to have the garage for the next couple of weeks. But getting there in the evenings is difficult with the kids' stuff (gymnastics tonight and Thursday, fencing Tuesday), so things will be spotty until Saturday.

Catherine
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby Mary C » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:12 am

Hey I am so glad you are getting another one built. Cute name, I am still looking for a name for mine. I will be looking for your progress.

Mary C. :D
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby wagondude » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:55 pm

Glad to see you back at it. It was a sad day when you took down number one. That was one nice looking camper.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Foamies