How often do you re-grease your bearings

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

How often do you grease your bearings on your trailer or trailers.

once a year
39%
once every 2000 miles or close to
13%
when ever I go on a long trip over say 500 miles.
13%
I don't grease them I have a professional do it for me
16%
I have sealed bearings but I grease the spindle
No votes
See below I have more to say.
19%

Total votes : 31

Re: How often do you re-grease your bearings

Postby eamarquardt » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:54 pm

bdosborn wrote:I've gone through two sets of bearings, one on the boxcar and one on the teardrop. And it was every bit my fault. I always wash the the trailers at the car wash when I put them away for the winter. I CAN'T STOP myself from washing the grease off the hubs and the water that gets in there does amazing, rusting things to the bearings. And that's why I always check my bearings in the spring, any water that got in the hubs in the fall will just sit there all winter.

Bruce

If you use a bit of RTV on the dustcap it should be sealed. If your spindles and seals are in good shape I'm not sure why there would be a lot of grease on your hubs.

Just some random drug induced thoughts.

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Irmo Atomics » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:40 am

Every couple of years for me, however, Dexter axle says:

"BEARINGS - How often should I grease the bearings?
Along with bearing adjustment, proper lubrication is essential to the current function and reliability of your trailer axle. Bearings should be lubricated every 12 months or 12,000 miles."

There answer may be CYA but also that condensation can form in a trailer bearing that sits around unused for long periods of time. Bearings that are used daily can burn off any moisture.
Bob
Irmo Atomics
Teardrop Master

Postby eamarquardt » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:24 pm

slowcowboy wrote:I don't give a witt about grease on the side of the wheels or nothing I am a farmer and rancher and I am very used to grease on stuff you work with on a daily baises if its got a grease dirt and since I farm and got a grease gun handy any where it gets grease on a daily basis.

on my boat i don't have the buddy bearings I got a dirt in the side of the hub. i also don't run a millon miles on that boat a year and my buddy before me did though.

I do like he did on that boat trailer I hit her with grease on the grease dirt. not bearings out.

and he didn't either but we do have a little grease on the hubs and the back sides of the wheels.

I like grease on stuff it says no burnt and gone bearings.

so yea. if you are the type that can't stand a little grease on a hub or on the back end of a wheel

go packing them. you will get grease all over you and your hands when you do so.

but as for me I live in grease farming so its the old grease gun for me. and if i hit her often with grease much like the swather the combine and the baler.

she doesn't burn out.

some times corwin grease all over something can be a good thing.

slow

Slow, you gotta slow down, use spell check, and after writing save your thoughts and then read them again later to see if they make sense before you post. I really struggle to read your posts and others have expressed the same thoughts. It just ain't that tough to write so others can understand you.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby vaddisonme » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:19 pm

I enjoy reading slow's comments just like he writes them! if you read them outloud they make perfect sense. Keep writing just like you want to, Slow!!!!
. :)
The Marshmallow pulling our Sweet Potato.
vaddisonme
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jeff0520 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:10 am

Driving the highways every single day I see campers, boat trailers, and car dollys all the time that have spun a bearing, and lost a wheel. For my two cents worth, I repack the bearings on every trailer I own as part of my spring "get ready for summer" maintenance routine. Some would say that's excessive, but grease is cheap, and it sure beats a failure on the road ruining a trip.
Hypno-Toad's Command Post, the build thread! http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50384

jeff0520
The 300 Club

Postby eamarquardt » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:43 am

vaddisonme wrote:I enjoy reading slow's comments just like he writes them! if you read them outloud they make perfect sense. Keep writing just like you want to, Slow!!!!
. :)

Yup, no one should be encouraged to better themselves.

Gus
Last edited by eamarquardt on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby RioWilson » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:57 am

eamarquardt wrote:
slowcowboy wrote:I don't give a witt about grease on the side of the wheels or nothing I am a farmer and rancher and I am very used to grease on stuff you work with on a daily baises if its got a grease dirt and since I farm and got a grease gun handy any where it gets grease on a daily basis.

on my boat i don't have the buddy bearings I got a dirt in the side of the hub. i also don't run a millon miles on that boat a year and my buddy before me did though.

I do like he did on that boat trailer I hit her with grease on the grease dirt. not bearings out.

and he didn't either but we do have a little grease on the hubs and the back sides of the wheels.

I like grease on stuff it says no burnt and gone bearings.

so yea. if you are the type that can't stand a little grease on a hub or on the back end of a wheel

go packing them. you will get grease all over you and your hands when you do so.

but as for me I live in grease farming so its the old grease gun for me. and if i hit her often with grease much like the swather the combine and the baler.

she doesn't burn out.

some times corwin grease all over something can be a good thing.

slow

Slow, you gotta slow down, use spell check, and after writing save your thoughts and then read them again later to see if they make sense before you post. I really struggle to read your posts and others have expressed the same thoughts. It just ain't that tough to write so others can understand you.

Cheers,

Gus

Ditto. Well said.
RioWilson
Teardrop Master

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:13 pm

eamarquardt wrote:
Ron Dickey wrote:
As I've said, it think there are a lot of "old wives tales" about greasing trailer bearings. They are exactly the same as the bearings used on automobiles and you don't grease your cars bearings every few thousand miles if at all over the life of the vehicle. The 2K axles have bearings that are smaller than "usual" and I suspect those that have experienced failures may have been operating the bearings at or beyond their capacity which is likely the cause of any failures they've experienced. Hubs that have been submerged in water to launch a boat are definitely at risk and should be repacked, IMHO, as soon as practical after being submerged if you wanna be safe.

I'd be interested in hearing about any bearing failures and the specifics surrounding the failures.

Me, a 3,500# alxe and a 2000# trailer and I'm good for life.

Cheers,

Gus

I will partially agree with you Gus, Wheel bearings on cars go a long time between repacking, but a proper brake job will include repacking the wheel bearings on a non-drive axle, so every 25K to 50K miles they are repacked ( that would probably be a lifetime on most of these trailers). On a many auto or truck drive axles, the wheel bearings are bathed in the gear oil from the differential. I think the wheel bearing re-packing is mandatory on an annual basis on a boat trailer that gets submerged. On these little TDs, I think it makes sense to ensure they were properly packed before you go too far initially,because I don't trust the 16 year old that was probably given the job in the first place. But once you know it was done right, checking them every few years to ensure they aren't rusting or what ever is probably fine.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:14 pm

I have no problem reading and understanding Slows writing. I hope to make it to Walk the Winds 2014 and meet him, job stays good car keeps running and my family pauses for a week so I can get away.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to User Polls