Electric sink faucet, HUH?

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Electric sink faucet, HUH?

Postby atahoekid » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:10 am

Saw electric sink faucets for sale on an RV website. Is this something I need to have? I was just about ready to plumb up a shurflo water pump to deliver water to the galley sink. I had assumed that once I opened the faucet for the water, the pressure would cause water to flow and the pump would continue to create water flow until I shut off the faucet... Am I mistaken???? :? :? :? Does the water pump require an electric signal from the faucet to start water flowing from the tank to the sink? I see many "standard" (non-electric) water faucets for sale on RV websites. What am I not understanding? I guess my RV newbness is showing... :oops: :oops: :oops: Help Please and thanks in advance for you assistance :beer: :beer:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Electric sink faucet, HUH?

Postby PaulC » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:09 am

Mel,
The shurflo pump works on water pressure. When you open the faucet it senses the drop in pressure and kicks in to provide you with a steady flow of water. When you turn the faucet off it senses the increase in pressure and turns off. As for the electric faucets( why don't you call them taps like we do ;) ) I have no idea what they are. I will assume that the pump is built into the tap. I use the shurflo pumps, neater and easier to hide.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:30 am

Electric taps are for use with pumps that don't have their own on/off switching. That way you can have the faucet turn on the pump when water is desired.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:31 am

Thanks Guys!!! That clears up my mystery. I couldn't figure out what the electric RV faucet was for and now i know. I suppose any standard household faucet could work with my shurflo pump as long as I could plumb it properly. From what I'm reading, flexible connection tubing is best to isolate all that noise. :beer: :beer:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Nobody » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:32 pm

I have an electric faucet (& pump) in my old pop-up cabover P/U camper. I installed it after getting tired of using the hand pump faucet whenever I didn't have 'city' water available. Mine consists of a lightweight aluminum faucet in a plastic base that also has a waterproof 'push button' switch to start & stop water flow. The tiny 12vdc pump is mounted at floor level adjacent to the fresh water tank. It will pump water at approx 0.5 gpm about 8' distance, & raise it about 3'. Not a lot of volume but it is sufficient for what I need. Adjacent to the electric faucet I still have the 'combo' manual pump & city water faucet for when such is available. I've bought a near identical electric faucet & pump for my Scamp trailer if I ever get it 're-habbed' the way I want. When using the TD we still rely on the old 7gal 'blue jug' ;)

Here's pic of the electrical faucet with the manual pump/city water faucet on left -

This is the little 12v gravity fed pump mounted at floor level next to the water tank -

Jug still intact after T'storm took down the 1st Up last year in Missouri
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby finleycraft » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:52 am

That took care of a couple questions I had about the same thing :)
finleycraft
Teardrop Advisor

Postby atahoekid » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:00 pm

So something else to know (makes sense) about installing that pump. It is recommended that you install a 10-15 amp switch in the power line. I didn't think about that, but it makes sense that if the faucet somehow "bumps" open when you're headed down the road, you'll spill the entire contents of your water tank down the drain. Installing a switch turns off all power. No accidental openings.
Mel

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:05 pm

I have a main battery switch that disconnects the battery from the trailer electrics and connects it to the TV during towing. That way there's no way any electrical appliances in the trailer can be on during towing.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Vindi_andy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:28 am

GuitarPhotog wrote:Electric taps are for use with pumps that don't have their own on/off switching. That way you can have the faucet turn on the pump when water is desired.

<Chas>

This is exactly the set up I will be using when I get round to that stage. Have got an electric tap (basically has a small micro switch inside and a cam on the tap knob. when the tap is turned sufficiently the micorswitch turns on the submersible pump that sits in my external water tank. The pump will connect to a water inlet and 12 V socket that will be controlled by the tap. Very Lightweight

No pump noise issues as the pump isnt mounted on the tear
Boys never grow in to men the toys just get more expensive and more dangerous

How true :)
Vindi_andy
Teardrop Master

Postby Vindi_andy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:04 am

This will be my external water container. Submersible pump goes inside to an external connection point then single hose from there to faucet (tap). Worst case if thing go wrong it has a tap that can be fitted to the cap to use as cowboy describes.

I must be getting soft but I like the idea of turning on the tap and having running water. Only cold tho, not messing around with heater etc If we need hot water thats what the kettle is for.

Vindi_andy
Teardrop Master

Postby geocachenut » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:13 pm

Vindi_andy wrote:This will be my external water container. Submersible pump goes inside to an external connection point then single hose from there to faucet (tap). Worst case if thing go wrong it has a tap that can be fitted to the cap to use as cowboy describes.

I must be getting soft but I like the idea of turning on the tap and having running water. Only cold tho, not messing around with heater etc If we need hot water thats what the kettle is for.

Where did you find the submersible pump? I'm looking but only find those that are sold in Europe....Post a pic if you've got one!! Thanks!
geocachenut
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:00 am

One of the things Nancy loves most about our trailer is the water heater which is fed with a sureflow pump and with a home style sprayer "tap" that can be pulled up to also hose off the grand children.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Vindi_andy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:19 am

geocachenut wrote:
Vindi_andy wrote:This will be my external water container. Submersible pump goes inside to an external connection point then single hose from there to faucet (tap). Worst case if thing go wrong it has a tap that can be fitted to the cap to use as cowboy describes.

Where did you find the submersible pump? I'm looking but only find those that are sold in Europe....Post a pic if you've got one!! Thanks!

I should say Im in the Uk but heres a link to the one Im using

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/whale-submersible-pump-standard-sized-caravanning-accessory-p122356

Vindi_andy
Teardrop Master

Postby geocachenut » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Vindi....does it shut off when you shut off the faucet? I guess I mean does it have a pressure switch built in? Or....how did you wire yours? Any help would be appreciated!!
geocachenut
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Vindi_andy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:23 am

Yes it shuts off when I turn off the faucet but no it doesnt have a pressure switch. It has a small micro switch on a cam that is turned when the tap is turned. It switches on about 1/4 turn open and switches off at the same point i.e. about 1/4 turn before fully closed.

Very simple but effective, I think the tap cost around $20 and the pump was around $15. IMHO a small price to pay for the convenience of running water.

It will be wired battery +ve to fusebox, from fuse, to faucet switch then from switch to pump then -ve back to collection point which will be connected to battery -ve terminal. The pump will be connected via a plug to allow it to be removed during travelling and the water pipe will have an external connection point.

Vindi_andy
Teardrop Master

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets