Chorizon's Hill-Country Hauler PIC UPDATE 04/27/2011

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Chorizon's Hill-Country Hauler PIC UPDATE 04/27/2011

Postby chorizon » Sun May 04, 2008 5:27 pm

Made some progress today! Yeah the TD has sat for a month or so, but I'm back on it (<edit> 6-6-09 (Little did I know it would sit for another several months!)). I wasn't looking forward to having to move everything outside before working on the TD. Oh well, I did procrastinate and it wasn't that bad. Lets see, the asphalt on the floor had plenty of time to dry, so I prepped the floor for frame mate-age.
Got the insulation on.

The floor is bolted on and ready to go!
I'm gluing up the right side, that I previously lasered out (check out my album for non-stop lasering action!)

Done for now. I had to shove everything back over into my side of the garage. Sarah, my wife, has to clutter up the garage with her car!
Last edited by chorizon on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:14 pm, edited 10 times in total.
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby planovet » Sun May 04, 2008 6:27 pm

Great job! :applause:

I'm waiting for my trailer so I can get started too.
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby Dean_A » Sun May 04, 2008 7:04 pm

We're in the same boat. My wife insists on parking in the garage. She's from out of state, so she doesn't understand that Californians all park in the driveway and use the garage for their toys/junk/workshops. It makes it tough to make progress sometimes, because in order to get anything done, you have to set aside at least an hour for set-up and clean-up. I don't always have that kind of time. That's while I'm still not done with my trailer 3 years after starting. :cry:
Dean_A
Gold Donating Member

Postby chorizon » Tue May 06, 2008 11:53 am

Thanks a lot. It seems its not often I get a chance to work on the trailer, since like most others, I have a few other projects to work on. I've noticed that if I take the time to maintain a clean work area (even so small), I'll be more likely to find the time to do a little more work, even if its a couple of hours in the evening.

-Joshua
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Thu May 08, 2008 8:24 am

:applause: :thumbsup: Great start Joshua! Now really, how did you do that with no sawdust. :? Talk about clean shop :thumbsup:

“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby chorizon » Sat May 02, 2009 1:26 pm

OK, so its been awhile. Been busy with a couple of other things...
Actually this project only took one weekend.

Sarah's office was a little more involved. I had to build that wall, closing in a formal living room that we never used. And make the art for the walls as well.

These pics never turn out well. This is supposed to be a cool pic of my favorite room in the house now, (besides the garage of course!) our home theater. Done on the cheap, but turned out really nice.

I have made a little progress on the TD. I'll take some pics later. Sarah has given me the stamp of approval on all previous home projects, so the TD build is on again!
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby chorizon » Sat May 02, 2009 2:36 pm

Just thought I'd let everyone know where I'm at. I'm waiting on a Parallax 6730 from http://www.bestconverter.com/ that should be here monday. I'll be wiring my trailer next so I can insulate the walls, and then get the interior skin on. I really liked wlooper89s setup:

But didn't have the $$$ to throw down on a tongue-box...yet.

I'll probably run some conduit or PVC? from the battery box to my galley and make all my connex in there. Galley space is at a premium, so I'll definitely be losing some space, but that's my plan. Here's where I'm at now:
Got the walls on, and the beginnings of a galley. Used the peel & stick for the floor, I think it looks pretty cool. Sarah doesn't like the peel and stick on the galley walls, though. I used contact cement to attach it, I hope it'll come off (relatively) easy.
More galley pics. The "window" is supposed to be access to a little pantry for cans and stuff, it'll have sliding doors. Its based on Mike's plans for the "generic Benroy". On the Trailer for Two that I'm building its a heck of a reach, though. I'm 6'3" and it'll definitely be a lean to get in there. Have to think about how to salvage that a little.
Interior pic. Those are the fenders I'll be using, and the other stuff is a bunch of junk that has accumulated in the past while.
The inside is framed, and here's a little closer pic of the back of the pantry. I plan on mounting a cabinet on the inside of the cabin, hopefully it'll have a 12V TV/DVD player.

That's it for now!
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby kennyrayandersen » Mon May 04, 2009 9:05 pm

coming along! My wife has occasionally had use of the garage... mostly between projects! :lol: :lol: :lol:
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby chorizon » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:51 pm

All right, I've been busy like the beaver for the past couple of weeks. I'm 99% finished with my freshwater tank and electrical. Got piccies.

New WFCO 8735 converter. Behind it you can see the hoses going to the water tank below the floor.

Valterra 9 gallon tank (just barely fit!) with Shurflo demand H20 pump over to the right.

The converter will sit flush up against the cabinet frame. I'm planning on sticking a cooler in the middle so I'll have to move a couple of things around.

My inlets on the side; water on the left and AC on the right. Hopefully I won't get corn-fused when hooking them up at the campground! :lol:

Next up, I'm planning on putting the aluminum on the sides and running my trailer wiring. Then I'll start on the interior walls. Hard part's done! Yeeha!
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:19 pm

I like your electrical slide out! It will sit flush with the galley face right? Very professional looking!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby chorizon » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:38 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Thomas! Yes, the electrical thingy will slide out, because I know I'll need to get back in there. It'll be flush with the cabinet face when its finished. I'm planning on having a slide in the middle for an ice-chest, so I'll move things around.

For now, in the massive heat I ran the conduit with my wiring up to front of the trailer. In my Comet plans, Kevin Hauser suggested doing this while the trailer was still in the frame stage...I highly recommend that. I busted who knows how many self-tapping screws on the conduit straps 'til I finally got it secured.

Looks good though. Next step is to clean up the wiring, and do the interior. Piece of cake! :thinking:
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:01 pm

Man, I am looking forward to the fender stage! I am going to use the same fenders as you. Standard, cheap, and still cool looking!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby chorizon » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:13 pm

All right, I haven't been sitting on my butt too much lately... :roll:
I got a little insulating done...
I mounted my fenders with T-nuts before putting the insulation in, no pics of the process, but here they are laying on the floor! Aren't they great?! Actually, I don't know why I took a pic of that...Moving forward
Put in some 1/8" oak bid'ness for the interior walls. Note the blue tape in odd places. They signified 2 things. DON'T Nail Here as well as Nail Here! Only I knew what the placement meant, hopefully I executed that procedure correctly...
Got the sides lasered out, awaiting installation.
Put in some roof-spars, I used 1X2 poplar.

All-in-all this has been a productive month or so. I hope to have some more progress pics soon!
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:44 pm

I got laser envy... :envious:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:21 pm

mikeschn wrote:I got laser envy... :envious:

Mike...

+1 Yep me too. Love those neat lines........ :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Next

Return to Build Journals