The EU Approved Towbar Nightmare - Photos

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

The EU Approved Towbar Nightmare - Photos

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:05 pm

As many of you know building a teardrop in our country hasnt been an easy project. The laws and more laws and beauracracy has been very stressful in the beginning. So now many here wanted to know what our EU approved towbar is and must be as of Jan 1st 2007. Even though we belong to the Eu our country hasnt ratified all laws. However I recently heard that changes will come again in May of this year to make all laws the same. Which Im real happy about. But ok here are photos of the towbars we are only allowed to use on the trailer frame with no welding what so ever. Not that I agree with these. But here for your viewing pleasure. :lol:

And on our frame the towbar was welded and of course had to be cut off and installed with the kind shown below. And in my opinion this is by far a weaker choice. However the politicians here who passed this law didnt even know what a trailer is or was. :? :o So if a tear is to be built here a person has to find the correct size towbar and then build the frame around that. :? :crazy: :phew: This law pertains only to trailers built and registered as well as inspected after January 1st of 2007.

and here is the ever famous coupling of ours. Even though another can be used such as Al-ko. Even if the coupling is EU Approved and the towbar has been welded to the frame it will not pass ispection here.

Classic Finn ;)
Last edited by Classic Finn on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:14 pm

These are now available where the towbar is connected direct to the axle. In other words the T frame. This is a complete kit. As I have recently heard that this is available also in the V towbar axle kit however I havent found the distributor here yet. I am working on it though.

Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Senior Ninja » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:55 pm

:x

OMG! Save us from nosy governmental oversight!
I can only imagine what else these busybodies are sticking their noses into.
Please keep the EU on you side of the pond.

Steve

8)
Building the TD was the best thing I ever made.
Senior Ninja
Donating Member

Postby Billy Onions » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:09 am

Something for us to look forward to.

I completely understand why we need these regulations. When I was an apprentice people used to ask me to make them trailers for their van axles etc. and some of them looking back now were nothing short of death traps which I wouldn't even consider doing now.

I fail to see how this law is of benefit to anyone though. I assume they must have structural engineers look at these proposals, why not just have a drawbar passed or even make it law to be purchased from a trailer manufacturer.

This law would make most of the factory built trailers in the UK illegal. I know Ifor Williams has cut right down on production and has had to lay off a chunk of their work force. Can you imagine how this might affect the trailer industry if it was brought in tomorrow. It will however come in eventually, I just hope the people in power us a little bit of common sense.

Rant over :oops:

Lee.
Rolling Home
the gog blog

http://ukteardrops.blog.com/
Billy Onions
Teardrop Advisor

Postby asianflava » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:16 am

How do you lock that coupler to prevent theft?
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Return to General Discussion