Modified 2+2 trolley top - Dinette Table - pg 15

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Modified 2+2 trolley top - Dinette Table - pg 15

Postby danlott » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:06 pm

Well here we go folks. I finally decided to share my design. I have a trailer frame that I got for free that is almost perfect for my build. I have started making modifications to the frame and buying a few parts, so I guess there is no turning back.

My design is a cross between the 2+2 and the Campster from the design library. I also got inspiration from Doug's trolley top designs and Steve's Rondack Lodge.

I designed this trailer for my family of 4. I have 2 young children, but I wanted the bunks to be large enough to sleep a full size adult if needed. There will be a pull-out potty located in the cabinet between the bunks and the full size bed. I decided to make the full size bed permanent and not make up into a dinette. I will have drawers under the bed for storage. Along with the drop floor there will also be a storage compartment under the front bottom bunk for a spare tire and a few other items that are not often used. The design is not complete, but it is a good starting point. I am open to all suggestions and improvements, so let me know what you think.

Here is the free trailer frame:

And here is my design:

Dan
Last edited by danlott on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 37 times in total.
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:44 pm

I like the profile...... :lol:
Looks familiar, mine is about 30% done, parked out in the garage. Minus the trolley top.
If you are building it after the 2&2 in the design library, you should just about be able to stand in the footwell/trolley top area.
How are you planning to do the outside finish?
It will be nice to watch your build.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby High Desert » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:52 pm

Sharp looking design Dan, I'll look forward to seeing your progress. Since we're practically neighbors I might even got to see it in person someday 8). Have fun with the build!
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Outside finish

Postby danlott » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:15 am

I am not exactly sure how I am going to finish the outside. It will be painted I do know that. I was thinking of fiberglass, atleast on the top and maybe on the sides. I am probably a long ways from that stage right now. Just starting out and still planning a little. I still have 2 rooms to finish on a house remodel, so will have to divide my time between both projects. It seems like when I am about to complete one project I end up having several more started.

It is based on the 2x2 profile, but it is 13 feet long. With the drop floor and the trolley top I will have 5 feet 11 inches of standing room. Plenty for me to stand up.

Dan
Image Image
danlott
Donating Member

Postby High Desert » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:53 am

good luck with the remodeling. Been there, done that, got the T shirt and all :?. I guess it all makes for sharpening the skills for a build though, right? :lol:

I like the fiberglass idea, this climate is so hard on wood. I figure to use something along those lines when I build one too. I've thought about maybe using something like a Rustoleum paint applied with a foam roller for a finish, it can make an automotive type finish after a few coats (wetsanded in between coats).
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby grizz » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:39 am

Hi Dan, good luck building your trailer.

Here is a thread which may give you some ideas too.

Deli Dave's "Coppertop"

http://tearjerkers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1332
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:08 am

This will be a fun build to watch! :thumbsup: Looking forward to the next pictures!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby angib » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:06 am

That looks like a perfect match for the frame you got.

Just one thought - I can't see anywhere to comfortably sit inside. The double bed has no back and your feet probably won't reach the floor, so that's fine for getting in and out but not good for just sitting.

One option would be to make the upper bunk hinge down to give enough headroom on the lower bunk, plus to act as a backrest. It's probably a bit low to the footwell, but low is OK for relaxing-type sitting.

Of course, I'm a Brit, so I'm thinking "Where do you go when it rains" and that may not be a concern where/when you camp....

Even if you didn't make the upper bunk hinge-able, it might be good to fix it in place from inside the trailer so that you could modify it afterwards if you find you wanted to.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Seating

Postby danlott » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:22 am

Andrew,

I have thought alot about seating in the tear. I could have the full size bed make up into a dinette. I could hinge the top bunk down. I even thought about something to raise and lower the top bunk similar to how bunk beds are raised in a toy hauler trailer. With my current arrangement I will be able to sit on the edge of the full size bed and my feet would be able to reach the 2 inch ledge around the drop floor. I will also be able to take off my shoes and sit on the bed with my back against the side wall with my feet on the bed.

I think if I could figure out an easy way to make the top bunk raise and lower that would be a neat idea. Got any ideas?

Dan
Image Image
danlott
Donating Member

Postby angib » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:57 pm

If, say, you wanted a place to go and read a book, then the low bunk is OK and the easiest thing would be to hinge the top bunk at the front. Then a bolt at each end of the back edge into the sidewalls (bunk bolts here) would hold it up.

Some blocks on the sidewall would stop the bunk going as far as vertical, so that it made a nice slope as a backrest. For real comfort, make the bottom bunk so that it can be lifted up 2" or so at the back to give a comfortable slope.

To make a seat at the right height for eating at a table is a bigger problem. Rather than try to devise a complex lifting mechanism for the upper bunk, how about just lifting it? A pair of supports (the red studs below) each end and the bunk could be lifted between them to reposition it at two heights:

1:Image 2:Image
3:Image 4:Image

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Dinette

Postby danlott » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:18 pm

Andrew,

I had thought of that design for raising and lowering the bunk. After further discussion with my wife, I (she) decided that a rear dinette option might be the best way to go. We may never use it, but it will be there if needed. We can still use the space under the table for storage of clothing and other items.

Here is a picture of the area without the bed.

You are right about the frame being a perfect match. I looked for about 6 months to find the right frame. The axle is a bit wider than I had hoped for. My orginal plan was to have the body totally over the wheels. Now I am planning on adding some universal rubber fender flares to cover the part of the tires that stick out past the side. Should work great. Other then the fender flares I did not have to modify my plan any. Here is a picture of the unmodified frame sitting under the tear. Pretty good fit.

Dan
Image Image
danlott
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:43 pm

:lightbulb: For your upper folding bunk, what about strong hinges on the back wall and decent-sized slide bolts (along the both the back and on the ends on the sides of the tear) that bolt into the wall studs when it is in use. Then, to be extra safe, maybe add a couple strong chains on each end on the 'in' side that hook to eye bolts or other type of receiver in the ceiling? Does that make sense? Would that work?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby pbrunicorn » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:54 pm

I really like your design and your drawings are very well done. Will be watching this build with anticipation
pbrunicorn
Teardrop Builder

Postby danlott » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:16 am

pbrunicorn wrote:I really like your design and your drawings are very well done.

Thank you Brian. I used Google SketchUp to do the designing and drawings. SketchUp is a very good tool and best of all it is FREE.

Dan
Image Image
danlott
Donating Member

Postby jackdaw » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:10 pm

Hi Dan
I love the look of the trolly top, and it looks like a great profile... I really like your plans :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I'll enjoy watching your progress :) :)

Dave
jackdaw
500 Club

Next

Return to Build Journals