Central Ohio Build: "Moby" - Updates Oct 6, 2010

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Central Ohio Build: "Moby" - Updates Oct 6, 2010

Postby DasBaldGuy » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:39 pm

I found a trailer on the Columbus Craigslist for $85 .... small and rusty, but has character. I've named it "Moby" and it is the foundation for my Build.

I plan to make a very light-weight Tear with no Galley and hope to have it completed by Spring.

Last edited by DasBaldGuy on Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 7 times in total.
DasBaldGuy
Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:41 pm

Nice find - It's a start! :thumbsup:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:46 pm

Another trailer named Moby...

So tell us more about your plans...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Ageless » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:12 pm

Paint it Dodge Plum Crazy and call it 'Moby Grape'
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby DasBaldGuy » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:33 pm

mikeschn wrote:Another trailer named Moby...

So tell us more about your plans...

Mike...

Another?

Someone else already used the name Moby? Wow. Doh.
DasBaldGuy
Donating Member

Postby dreadcptflint » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:22 pm

Similar, here is the link: http://mobiteardrops.com/. I own one and there is two other's one the board.
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby DasBaldGuy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:24 am

dreadcptflint wrote:Similar, here is the link: http://mobiteardrops.com/. I own one and there is two other's one the board.

...even has the whale theme....I guess I should research before picking a name! There truly are no original ideas left!

Anyway, sticking with the name "Moby" (unless I get sued).

...more build to come...
DasBaldGuy
Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:29 am

We have the whale theme (easy decision, profile looks like a whale, sure we are not the only one) but ours is named 'monstero' after the whale in moby dick. Don't think the whale theme is common, but it isn't unique, but go for it! I vote for the name "moby grape!"
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby dreadcptflint » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:03 am

Same thing happened to us. My wife named our trailer 'Oliver' because it goes all over and there is an company making Oliver trailers.
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby DasBaldGuy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:14 pm

My plans are to build a 4x8 using 3/4" ply for the floor and 1/4" for the exterior side, 3/4" Blue Foam sheet in the center and 1/4" for the interior sides.

No Galley. A door on either side (probably open regular car style, not suicide).

Basically building an uber light.

I am going with my wheels on-center at 43".

Comments? Suggestions? 8)
DasBaldGuy
Donating Member

Postby goldguy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:03 am

I LIKE IT! I understand that you want to center the wheels, because you will have no galley? but placing them slightly rearwards does ehance tracking/ towing? , I am told. I just finished building a Generic Benroy, and live in Hilliard, Ohio. Hope to post some pics soon. I'm sure you chose "Moby" because she's all white, and I think you should stick with it. My trailer was named "Urge" from the get-go, and I could care less if there are others. Hope you have a great build on your "Great White Frame"
Nothin's wrong with the Merry-Go-Round
goldguy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DasBaldGuy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:46 pm

goldguy wrote:I LIKE IT! I understand that you want to center the wheels, because you will have no galley? but placing them slightly rearwards does ehance tracking/ towing? , I am told. I just finished building a Generic Benroy, and live in Hilliard, Ohio. Hope to post some pics soon. I'm sure you chose "Moby" because she's all white, and I think you should stick with it. My trailer was named "Urge" from the get-go, and I could care less if there are others. Hope you have a great build on your "Great White Frame"

Are you the guy selling plans on CL? :-)

I'd like to check out your build sometime in person if you don't mind....where do you plan to camp this summer? We are planning to hit Deer Creek and Indian Lake for starters.

I read that if you want the lightest tongue weight and have no galley, that 43" from the back is good....or 38" as a good "compromise". I want to build it as light as possible as my tow vehicle isn't really made for towing.
DasBaldGuy
Donating Member

Postby goldguy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:49 pm

Yo, Bald guy- I will probably do both as well- maiden voyage took me to Knox County- no entertainment, and cold last weekend. Nice to know there is a fellow tear-dropper in the area- Have'nt met any from around central Ohio yet. Been thinkin' about throwing a gathering together up in Plain City next year during the annual "scooter" show. The King Midget folks are usually there as well- You know, little scooters, little cars, and little trailers-maybe. You can reach me for further conversation@ [email protected]
Nothin's wrong with the Merry-Go-Round
goldguy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Prem » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:37 am

Herr Das Bald Guy,

Wie gehts?

Hey, what Ageless said! Moby Grape.

See:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moby_Grape

Cool.

Prem ;)
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby DasBaldGuy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:23 pm

Did more work on Moby. Welded up some 2x3 to make a a nice 4x8 frame and soon the entire frame will go to the Powdercoater. I am thinking a silver color called "Bengal Silver" which looks an awful lot like the "Reflex Silver" on my VW and the "Excaliber Grey" on my Vespa.

We also worked out the Profile. I was fearing the worst but my GF and I figured it out pretty quickly after we saved a bunch of photos of profiles we liked. I think this profile is sort of a Cubbyesque design.

I used a 2' radius for the front, then a 2' flat spot on the roof and then used the 2 nail elipse method for the rear curve. Turned out lovely.

Pix:

DasBaldGuy
Donating Member

Next

Return to Build Journals