"Silver Nugget" Teardrop Trailer

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

"Silver Nugget" Teardrop Trailer

Postby down under tech » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:31 pm

Hello Everyone. I have started the build of my 4x8 "Cubby" named the "Silver Nugget". I am using the plans I got from Kuffel Creek. I am not following the plans to a tee, but pretty close. I started a thread in the newbies section under New TD Build, "Cubby". You can check out that for now.
Last edited by down under tech on Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:44 pm, edited 91 times in total.
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

No Pics Yet

Postby down under tech » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:49 am

:x I opened an account on photobucket today. I got the pics loaded on there. I can't figure how to set a link to my 40 plus (so far) build pics here. :thumbdown:
I need help. Anyone using photobucket know how to do it? I am using an iMac. I have been building this TD since Oct. of last year.

I would like to get this resolved soon.

Thanks in advance if someone can help me. :D
Last edited by down under tech on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:20 am

Welcome newbie! You can link you pictures on the signature line. Just go to your profile, in the above menu, and paste the copied url from photobucket.

Oh yeah I think you need to make your photobucket public. Not sure.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

We Now Have Pics !!!

Postby down under tech » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:49 pm

Thanks for your help, Miriam. I was able to set a link to photobucket in with my signature. By the way, do you have two children named Riche & Joanne? That was a joke. The "Happy Days" mother. I will add some info along with each pic in the next few days. Now I can go & work on the "Silver Nugget". Enjoy,

Aaaaaaah ... Fonzy
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:11 pm

You could also just put them in your album here as well. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby down under tech » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:26 pm

Thanks Doug: You need to know I am a mechanic, not a computer programer. Ha Ha

Anyways, now you can follow me as it comes along. How's that Nomad coming?

Have a good one,
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:12 pm

Guess getting the NV teardrp license plate is out! Thats ok, we were gonna get "Monstero" anyway!
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

NOMOTEL, B AND B, TEARFUL ect.

Postby down under tech » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:22 pm

Sorry, I already have that one, too. Not !!! How about LILTEAR ? I came up with about twenty personalized plates that I could use by checking the NV DMV website. I will try and find them on the piece of paper I have them on & post them here. Take Care,
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby synaps3 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:42 pm

I'll be watching this one. :thumbsup:
Last edited by synaps3 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-- Dave

Build log: here
synaps3
The 300 Club

Synaps3

Postby down under tech » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:43 am

Hi Dave: I will try to upload pics to the album. I did good just to be able to show everyone that I was actually building a TD. Do you believe me now? I spent the day doing my tongue upgrade like you did. Pics to come. It got dark on me so I didn't take pics, yet. Thanks for the process on adding pics to my album. I will do it tomorrow. Thanks,
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Super Dave & Aunti M

Postby down under tech » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:35 pm

Hello: I want to thank the two of you, Dave & Miriam for the help with posting pics to my album. I have posted (in album) the upgrade of tongue I did yesterday to stiffen it up and extend the coupler by 2 feet. I will add my other build pics to my album later on. You can still check out the build so far on my photobucket link. The cheap *ss paint that they use in China is *rap. No UV protection. It is turning PINK. Look at the center cross member. It is painted with Rustoleum, no fading. I think I will paint the frame silver so it fits my theme of the "Silver Nugget". I will add those pics when I get It painted. Stand By ...
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby High Desert » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:44 pm

Looking good there Johnny :thumbsup:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Shaun

Postby down under tech » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:06 pm

Thank You Sir ... It is a lot heavier in the front now. I will add my 14" spare under the rear to help off-set the added weight in the front. Take Care,
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby synaps3 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:24 pm

Cool! Looks very well done. :thumbsup: Are you planning on attaching it to any of the other cross members, or just the back one?

Out of curiosity, what wheels are you using? They're nice and huge compared to the stock ones -- which is an upgrade I definitely want for my build. Did you have to swap the axle?

Thanks,
-- Dave

Build log: here
synaps3
The 300 Club

Yes, Ebay & Yes

Postby down under tech » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:44 pm

Hi Dave: Look real close at the two front cross members. I welded pieces of 1 3/4" angle cut to 1 1/4 long (HF cross member is 1 1/2" wide) and welded them to the extension so I could bolt them to the cross member in the pre-existing holes drilled in them from the factory. That is why you can't see them, but you can see the bolts though. At the center cross member I welded a 2 1/4" long piece of the same angle iron on the top of the 2 1/2" wide extension behind the cross member and through bolted it. I welded the tongue to the lower HF front mount triangle only, this way it is removable for say primer and paint or whatever. I told you I was going to cut off the "Bump" (coupler mount) off the top piece of the HF triangle. In the pics you can see I cut it off & flipped it over and the top part of that had the bump on it is facing down now, what is left of the bump holds the extension in place and keeps it centered on top. The bottom triangle piece is welded to the tongue extension I added.

The (trailer) wheels I got on Ebay for $41 each including shipping. I bought 3 of them and they are galvanized 14"X5.5". I had to get a different axle that is 3.5" wider (at 60" hub to hub) than the stock one (56 1/2" hub to hub) so the tires would clear the frame with 195/70R14 car tires (3/4" clearance to the frame, same as stock but with the new wheels & tires) I had from an old car I junked out a few years ago. The axle came with the spring brackets loose and once I got it centered (with the wheels & tires on it) I welded the brackets in place. I got the 2000# axle from Southwest Wheel for $122 W/S&H. It is an Al-Ko w/1 1/16" HD bearings. Does that answer your questions ???

See Ya,
Last edited by down under tech on Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Build Journals